Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kings Canyon and Sequoia N.P.  (Read 3121 times)

tgphoto

Kings Canyon and Sequoia N.P.
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:25:14 am »

Hi,

I have a friend who works at a lodge in KCNP and has offered to let me crash his pad for a week or two.  I'm wondering if any fellow FM forum members have been there, and, if so, can you recommend specific locations, trails, etc. to shoot while out there?

I will be going out there end of April through mid-May.  My buddy is pretty busy right now but has told me the wildflowers are in bloom and the streams are rushing, so those are options.  I'd like to fill my days with hiking and photographing the surrounding area.  

Alos if anyone can tell me the bear situation out there it would be great.

Thanks!

Tim

Sfleming

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:42:24 pm »

Tim ,

Those parks are always  crowded.  Just below Kings Canyon is a State Park called Mountain Home State Forest.  You get there by taking the highway straight East out of Bakersfield.  It's been many years but I don't think it's more than 40 minutes E. untill you turn off of the main highway on the smaller road that starts up through the foothills and then up into the Sierras.  At the turnoff there is a ranger station.  They have great maps and can advise you on current conditions, including bears.  I never saw a bear up there and  I've hiked from the redwoods all the way up into the high country.  The redwoods are the same as those in Kings Canyon.  Massive.  Just stupendous.  There are several streams that cut down through  that park.  The  maps the rangers have show every pocket of redwoods.  If you are there during the week you may have the place all to yourself.

Regards,
Scott

tgphoto

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 12:55:14 pm »

Soudns amazing Scott!  I'll definitely have to check it out, thank you.

Tim

lonna.tucker

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:57:11 pm »

Mid May is a perfect time of year, and has less visitors before school lets out for the summer. The river at the Cedar Grove area will be running strong. At Sequioa visit the Parker Grove Giant Forest. Also the corn lilies are prime in SNP.

My website has a few examples if you are interested, from 4"X10" film.

Best on your trip.

Lonna Tucker
www.lonnatucker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up