Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Baryta vs Platine differences  (Read 3550 times)

ThirstyDursty

Canson Baryta vs Platine differences
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:05:31 pm »

Any give me some details about differences in image rendering between these two papers.

I understand Baryta is a true Baryta, Platine is not.

Platine has no OBA and is 100 cotton rag, Baryta has OBAs and alpha cellulose.

But...I'm interested in differences in image rendering.
- DMax, Gamut, sharpness, luster, paper white point/temp.

I understand the surface is more durable on the Platine...is this true? Substantially?
I've found I've even scratched Baryta while rolling a pano coming out of the printer.

Also is it as stiff?

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Canson Baryta vs Platine differences
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:16:47 pm »

But...I'm interested in differences in image rendering.
- DMax, Gamut, sharpness, luster, paper white point/temp.

Baryta is smoother, whiter and has bigger gamut on most printers.

I understand the surface is more durable on the Platine...is this true? Substantially?

Nah... both are fragile.

Also is it as stiff?

No, platine is actually quite flexible and soft for a 310 GSM paper.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:12:33 pm »

Nah... both are fragile.

Can you recommend something similar that has a more durable surface? Ilford Gold Fiber?

pluton

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 04:08:50 am »

Isn't the OBA in the baryta papers the baryta?  Which means it does not contain OBAs in the sense that the term is usually used, meaning fluorescent dyes?

MHMG

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:05:29 pm »

Isn't the OBA in the baryta papers the baryta?  Which means it does not contain OBAs in the sense that the term is usually used, meaning fluorescent dyes?

OBAs are entirely distinct from Baryta. Barium Sulfate is not going to fluoresce under blacklight radiation. IGFS and Canson Baryta both fluoresce under blacklight, and are for all practical purposes the same coating chemistry (only the base sheet properties may differ, but not to any extent that would cause one of these products to outperform the other in image quality).  Barium sulfate won't create a spike in reflectance in the 400-450 nm region of the spectrum like OBAs do.  Canon Baryta photographic definitely has incorporated OBAs to help push it's media whitepoint to a cooler, less yellow (i.e.lower b* value). It also contains significant quantities of titanium dioxide (TI02) so its claim as a true "Baryta" paper needs to be tempered by the fact that the barium sulfate is being added in smaller quantities, perhaps in a separate very thin layer over the Ti02 layer, in order to trim the reflectance properties of this paper and thus claim its "Baryta" heritage.

The combined presence of TiO2 and OBAs also means this paper (and IGFS as well) suffers somewhat from a light induced low intensity (e.g., dark storage) staining issue, not as severe as most Resin Coated (RC) media, but it's present nonetheless. Canson Platine has no OBAs, so Ti02 or not, it won't have the same OBA burnout problem nor will it have the additional low intensity post light exposure yellowing/staining issues.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:11:18 pm by MHMG »

sgwrx

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:52:38 pm »

Nah... both are fragile.

i agree.  on the last point, i just recently slid a 17x22" print into a plastic bag with one gloved hand on the short end of photographique.  on the 8.5x11" test papers, i did think the platine was a bit more floppy.

stcstc31

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:31:28 am »

i used both for a good while

platine was always a PITA, when cutting it, it would let fibres loose and they would always end up on the print

i now use Fine Art Bayrta from hanemuhle, i find its much easier to work with, and has a stunning finish
Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:05:14 am »

i now use Fine Art Bayrta from hanemuhle, i find its much easier to work with, and has a stunning finish

There are two HM Fine Art Barytas, the 325 gsm with OBA content (actually more than Canson Baryta has) and the Satin 300 gsm with no OBA content. The last is more or less the Alpha Cellulose version of the HM Photo Rag Baryta 315 gsm that is Cotton based.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up