Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

RAW converter test for Fuji X-Trans files

(1/4) > >>

synn:
So,

I got myself a Fuji X-E1 off fleabay for travel photography. Thing cost a pittance and feels amazing. As you know, the processing of X-Trans files has been a hot topic on the internet for years now. After reading up on the pros and cons of each tool, I decided to do my own test.
Here's a simple shot of my backyard, taken with the 18-55 lens. Camera on a tripod with cable release used. The file was brought into two different RAW converters and processed. moderate amounts of sharpening and clarity were added in both to taste. While the sliders in both can't really be compared owing to the different scales used, I have tried my best to make sure the amounts used were similar.

Both files were brought into PS as 16 bit TIFFS in ProphotoRGB, then exported to web as 100% quality JPGs.

Do take a look at them at 100% (Right click-> View image) and please vote which conversion you think is better.

Thank you.

Image 1:

Image 2:

mbaginy:
Image #1 seems to have a higher degree of "clarity" (speaking in LR terms) or contrast.  I prefer image #2 better, it seems to show more subtle shades of color.  I'm eager to learn which software you used.

I'm quite pleased with my X-T1 and X-Pro1 plus five lenses.  I prefer the fours primes (18, 23, 35, 56mm) which I can use wide open.  I'm not so keen on the 18-55mm zoom which I only use if absolutely necessary (carrying only one lens & needing the zoom).  I only use LR6 and it has improved capabilities vs. its predecessor.  There's room for improvement but LR6 is quite useable.

razrblck:
I have to say image #2 for me. Colors are less vivid as a whole, but I can see finer details that seem lost in the first picture. In fact, pic #1 details feel like strokes of a paintbrush, while #2 details look more real to close inspection.

rdonson:
For me the winner is 21784975220_91c8e4ec9c_o.jpg (the first one).  The roses by the shed are significantly cleaner and have more detail in the petals.

sandymc:
Image 1 has lot more detail, especially in the foliage. Which probably means that image 2 comes from LR or Photoshop.  ;)

But the tone curve is very different between the images, which makes the preference a matter of personal taste......."you pay your money and take your choice"...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version