Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heads-up: LR 6.2 update from today crashes on launch on OS X 10.11  (Read 4784 times)

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com

First one I've seen that crashes on launch; so if you're updating I'd advise caution :-/

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Heads-up: LR 6.2 update from today crashes on launch on OS X 10.11
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 01:15:57 pm »

First one I've seen that crashes on launch; so if you're updating I'd advise caution :-/

Yes, if you are on Mac and have moved to 10.11 - it only came out a few days ago.

CatOne

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:59:43 pm »

Yes, if you are on Mac and have moved to 10.11 - it only came out a few days ago.

And?

Adobe has had pre-release access to OS X since June. There is no acceptable explanation for shipping an update that crashes on OS X 10.11, especially when Lightroom 6.1.1 _didn't_ crash. OS X 10.11 is GM now, and given that like 25% of Mac users have already moved to 10.11, to not support it is unacceptable.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:05:55 pm »

And?

Pretty obvious. Releasing a Lr update close to an OS release has obvious risks. You can always revert to 2015.1.1 or 6.1.1.

CatOne

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 02:10:28 pm »

Pretty obvious. Releasing a Lr update close to an OS release has obvious risks. You can always revert to 2015.1.1 or 6.1.1.

Any idea how to do that? Assume LR 6.0 standalone installer + 6.1.1 updater, but I don't know where to find the latter. And I want to stay as far away from the Creative Cloud installer as humanly possible.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:37 pm »

Uninstall the .2 version, then reinstall 2015.0 / 6.0 from here and then install the 2015.1.1 / 6.1.1 update.

CatOne

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 02:48:15 pm »

Uninstall the .2 version, then reinstall 2015.0 / 6.0 from here and then install the 2015.1.1 / 6.1.1 update.

Thanks. I had the 6.0 standalone installer and I grabbed the 6.0->6.1.1 updater from the Adobe blog post. I'm up and running again on 6.1.1, where I'll stay until Adobe fixes this grievous QA error on their part.

Given many people in their support forums are reporting it, maybe they'll get off their butts and test. I could see crashing with a beta version of OS X, but not once it's actually shipping.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 02:57:32 pm »

CC update today (Build 1044713) and OS X 10.11 running fine on this end.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

philaitman

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »

CC update today (Build 1044713) and OS X 10.11 running fine on this end.

Same Here. Doesn't help CatOne but it shows it may be a local system issue.

CatOne

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 04:56:24 pm »

Same Here. Doesn't help CatOne but it shows it may be a local system issue.

I got help from Victoria Brampton in Adobe's forums. She had me disable Settings->General->Show "Add Photos" screen, and it resolved this crashing issue. So the crashing has stopped, at least ;-)

Next issue, though: Full screen mode (as it existed in LR 5 and earlier) doesn't work in the 6.2 build. I get a "10/5/15 1:50:51.388 PM Adobe Lightroom[16129]: Recursive load attempt for namespace: AgFullscreenPreview" error in console and a big stack barf. I can use the new LR 6 "full screen" mode but I prefer the old way that was the "F" key in LR 5 and I think is now "Shift-F" in LR 6.x.

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 05:26:44 pm »

I would suggest NOT upgrading to Lightroom 6.2 unless there is a good reason (perhaps you need Sony A7S mark II raw support or something like it).
It is becoming more obvious that this update is undercooked and prematurely released.
Unless you really need to, just wait for 6.3.

Tony Jay

CatOne

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 06:02:36 pm »

I would suggest NOT upgrading to Lightroom 6.2 unless there is a good reason (perhaps you need Sony A7S mark II raw support or something like it).
It is becoming more obvious that this update is undercooked and prematurely released.
Unless you really need to, just wait for 6.3.

Tony Jay

Yeah, probably that's good advice. Victoria has a blog post positing that the Lightroom team was forced into pushing the update out before it was ready, to coincide with Adobe Maxx for marketing purposes. Nice (both pushing out crap if true, and airing dirty laundry LOL).

At any rate, as one who generally hasn't had crashing or "totally broken" type stuff with Lightroom, I found two personal showstoppers in the first 30 minutes, and they were easily reproducible for me in many cases. Installer beware of this update.

jrp

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 06:29:44 pm »

Fortunately, it is not yet showing up in the Creative Cloud App, so I am not tempted, although it would be nice to have the new Leica lens profiles (if anyone wants to pm them to me :-) )

ButchM

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 06:55:48 pm »

... Victoria has a blog post positing that the Lightroom team was forced into pushing the update out before it was ready, to coincide with Adobe Maxx for marketing purposes. ...

That's just priceless ....

I seem to recall being told ... more than once ... that one of the primary benefits of the CC licensing model, under a subscription model, such problems would be avoided.  The story went along the lines that updates/upgrades would be released. ... "when they were ready ... not according to some arbitrary deadline." ... as it was unfair to expect the engineers to actually meet set-in-stone deadlines when no one could foresee all possible problems and issues that could arise. That trying to meet such arbitrary deadlines is of no benefit to anyone involved - Adobe, the engineers or the end users.

Somehow, arbitrary deadlines still do exist at Adobe Inc. and we still get updates that are not ready for wide use because they were released before they could be properly refined. The only thing that has changed is the end user payment structure and the loss to the end user to actually choose to pay until after they witness the new product offering. It seems it is still business as usual in San Jose. It seems the corporate types and upper management at Adobe have a tough time letting go of the pre-subscription mindset as well.

Funny, that.

CatOne

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:15:54 pm »

That's just priceless ....

Somehow, arbitrary deadlines still do exist at Adobe Inc. and we still get updates that are not ready for wide use because they were released before they could be properly refined. The only thing that has changed is the end user payment structure and the loss to the end user to actually choose to pay until after they witness the new product offering. It seems it is still business as usual in San Jose. It seems the corporate types and upper management at Adobe have a tough time letting go of the pre-subscription mindset as well.

Funny, that.

Indeed. And the tireless efforts to force users to use CC. About every other time I try to update LR 6, the Creative Cloud desktop app gets installed. It's infuriating.

For reference, here's the article I was mentioning: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-cc-2015-2-and-lightroom-6-2/

"I’ve never before started a What’s New blog post with the words “don’t update,” however in my opinion, Lightroom CC 2015.2 and Lightroom 6.2 are being released prematurely. The release is linked to a large Adobe marketing event (Adobe Max) and I’m convinced that the Lightroom team would have delayed the release if they had a choice."

LOL

jed best

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 08:38:25 pm »

Thank you John, for your advise and route to uninstalling LR 6.2 and to reinstalling LR 6.1.

Jed

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 09:30:25 am »

I found a better way without using that 3rd party site. See my postRolling back from 6.2. How hard can it be?.

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 11:02:44 am »

Excellent. Thanks for the link. My 6.2 was all over the place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up