Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r II - Exposure Compensation  (Read 1827 times)

brianrybolt

Sony A7r II - Exposure Compensation
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:10:47 pm »

I've spent about 2 hrs. trying to figure out (with the manual) how to observe the changes in the histogram when changing the Exposure Compensation dial to either + or - values.  The histogram just stays constant.  Help please.

Thanks,
Brian

PS.  Are there any good books that go through the various camera settings and options and the consequences of choosing one option/setting over another?

AlterEgo

Re: Sony A7r II - Exposure Compensation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 01:01:49 pm »

blog.kasson.com is a nice reading about some specifics of Sony A7* cameras... what do you want to achieve with histogram though ? in place zebra/post shot review blinkies are a better tool to see clipping in raw (combined in UniWB of course)...

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:09:35 pm »

blog.kasson.com is a nice reading about some specifics of Sony A7* cameras... what do you want to achieve with histogram though ? in place zebra/post shot review blinkies are a better tool to see clipping in raw (combined in UniWB of course)...

Hello,
I don't like having to look at the shot right after I take it - I don't have the time for it when I'm shooting action.  Rather see the histogram and then shoot.  This works better for me.
Cheers,  B

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:36:56 pm »

Hello,
I don't like having to look at the shot right after I take it - I don't have the time for it when I'm shooting action.  Rather see the histogram and then shoot.  This works better for me.
Cheers,  B

real-time zebra works before the shot and unlike histogram it shows where clipping (in raw with the right setup) is.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:44:24 pm »

Hi,

My experience is that the zebra indicates clipping far below real clipping levels in raw.

Regarding the histogram, to show the real world histogram you need to set:

"Cogwheel menu", page three, "Live View Display" - >Setting Effect ON

Always use "Setting Effect Off" with studio flash.

Best regards
Erik

real-time zebra works before the shot and unlike histogram it shows where clipping (in raw with the right setup) is.
Erik Kaffehr

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 01:49:56 pm »

My experience is that the zebra indicates clipping far below real clipping levels in raw.

that is exactly why  there was a note (in the first reply in this topic) that it has to be combined with UniWB - then it is precise within 1/3 EV (or less) in Sony A7* series to indicate real clipping in raw... as checked with rawdigger.

settings are :

WB = UniWB
Creative Style = Neutral (contrast -3, saturation -3, ...)
Zebra = 100+

yes, green tint in EVF (Setting Effect = ON)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:51:53 pm by AlterEgo »

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 03:48:34 pm »

This is true, as the zebras are tuned for video work. But I've found them to be consistent in behavior and thus quite useful.

-Dave-

michael

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 04:49:30 pm »

My experience is that the A7RII starts to show 100% zebras about 1 full stop before there's any actual risk of clipping.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up