Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A tuff End  (Read 923 times)

Ian stuart Forsyth

A tuff End
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:52:04 am »

Last Fall and winter was hard on the moose population this year around here, we had 4 close by hit by vehicles and then this spring I found this poor bull. This fall near where this photo was taken I found the remains of another bull maybe this one

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: A tuff End
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 03:45:01 am »

Sad story, good photos.

Ian stuart Forsyth

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:33:14 pm »

thank you

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 11:56:36 pm »

That poor moose looks like he's been infested by winter ticks.  They can literally bleed an adult moose to death. It is common in the Alberta moose population.  I have a book here by Dr. Bill Samuel, White as a Ghost: Winter Ticks and Moose.  Bill was the chairman of the wildlife biology department at the University of Alberta, now retired I believe.  His brother, Dr. Dave Samuel, was the chairman of the wildlife biology department at either Virginia or West Virginia.  I can't remember which.  Winter ticks will work together in loose cooperation.  For example they will form a chain by one tick holding another, and another, and another until they are a couple of inches long.  When a suitable moose walks under them, the last tick grabs on and they all infest the poor creature.

Ian stuart Forsyth

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 01:26:28 am »

We do see it a lot around here
Pages: [1]   Go Up