Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CISS system for Epson R2400 *AND* cleaning the heads  (Read 2160 times)

psalz

CISS system for Epson R2400 *AND* cleaning the heads
« on: October 04, 2015, 03:14:59 pm »

I've had an R2400 for probably 10 years now.  I hadn't used it very often in years but recently I've found myself having to print more and more.  The last time I had used it I ran through a small fortune in ink cleaning the heads...and now they're a bit clogged again and I'm out of cartridges. 

I'm interested to hear if anyone has had experience with a particular brand of CISS and ink, or what they feel about the refillable cartridges?   I've *read* the refillable carts are easier because you don't have to worry about air pockets in the tubing.  Is this true?  Does anyone have a preferred brand of ink?

These systems seem to be very cheap now, especially on eBay. 

As for cleaning the heads - any updated methods people like?  I've read a few with windex...

Thanks for your help!!!

Phillip

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
Re: CISS system for Epson R2400 *AND* cleaning the heads
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:51:04 pm »

Based on recent experience with a 2400 that had seen little use, I would advise looking for another solution. Refillable carts are less tolerant than Epson. My 2400 that leaked ink  profusely with refillables, worked perfectly on Epson carts. The main problem was probably the capping station which had probably hardened and wicked ink.

Probably the best videos on cleaning are at Inkjetmall although a quick search on YouTube will also give you a lifetime's worth of viewing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:20:42 pm by Jeff-Grant »
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

psalz

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 12:28:16 am »

hey Jeff, thanks for your input & I will definitely check Inkjetmall for the tutorials.  That's a bummer on the CISS system for it then.  I was hoping to find a good product someone had luck with previously.

Take care,
Phil

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:17:10 am »

A friend with a lot more experience with refillables on Epson cart on-head printers says that age tends to make refillables more problematic. He is unsure of exactly but suspects that the head, wiper blade and capping station all play a part. Refillables can be a challenge. I would buy from Inkjetmall not off Ebay. They may all look the same but the look can be where the similarity ends.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:17:51 am »

I've found myself having to print more and more.  The last time I had used it I ran through a small fortune in ink cleaning the heads...and now they're a bit clogged again and I'm out of cartridges.
Time to invest in a better printer that's cheaper to run.
Refilling and CISS seem to be a nightmare for reliability and quality by most reports.

Go and buy an Epson 3800 or 3880, secondhand these are reliable workhorses that are cheap to run, incredibly reliable and deliver excellent results.

martin archer-shee

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »

I have had the 2200, 2400 , the 2880 and now the 3880. I used a CISS on the 2200, 2400 and 2880 with great success . I used the setup from Lyson and Lyson ink. very pleased. The only problem I ran into, other than some clogging, was the waste ink system. After a number of uses the system told me there were parts reaching their service life. basically the waste ink pad etc was almost full. There is software that can overide this and all is good. The crunch comes when the pads are really overloaded and leak out of the printer. To change the pads you have to send the printer to a service depot. usually not economic. I liked the Lyson CISS very much. After the waste ink question on the 2880 i opted to buy a re manufactured 3880 from Epson and have not looked back. No CSS but have got refillable cartridges and use Cone ink which is totally interchangeable with epson so can use all the same profiles etc. VERY PLEASED with the 3880 and Cone inks

Best of luck.
Martin

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 07:54:19 pm »

Why wouldn't you use one of the many waste ink setups like the Printer Potty?
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

martin archer-shee

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 06:12:20 pm »

Very good question Jeff

I did not find a reliable waste in system when I was at that stage. However I would highly suggest that one do exactly that. I tried one and the instructions etc were not really helpful. At that point I was interested in a wider format (17")  and the 3880 came into view. Very happy and not looked back. The 2200, 2400 and 2880 are all good systems and have some pluses. For instance the 2400 and I think the 2200 had automatic cutting of roll paper. Really sorry the 3880 does not have roll feed cutting. Always trade offs. However nary a head cleaning needed with the 3880 and the Cone inks.

Martin

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 06:49:07 pm »

I've also got a little used 2400 and may be doing some more printing with change of some of my work. So will be interested in options.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up