Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three Takes  (Read 825 times)

BobDavid

Three Takes
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:22:07 am »

Birdwatchers and more... For those who are interested in the tech side of photography, this is my first real effort at trying to capture the type of light seen within an hour of sunrise. There is a tricky balance between contrast, orange-yellow sunlight, and long blue shadows. In addition to those variables, the sand at Siesta Beach is nearly 100% quartz.Quartz crystal sand has unique refractive properties that vary widely depending on time of day and the sky. ... To my eye, the gamut in this photo is reminiscent of Ektachrome that has been pushed a stop. I have yet to figure out how to get the warm tones to work.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:26:49 am by BobDavid »

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Three Takes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:01:54 pm »

Birdwatchers and more... For those who are interested in the tech side of photography, this is my first real effort at trying to capture the type of light seen within an hour of sunrise. There is a tricky balance between contrast, orange-yellow sunlight, and long blue shadows. In addition to those variables, the sand at Siesta Beach is nearly 100% quartz.Quartz crystal sand has unique refractive properties that vary widely depending on time of day and the sky. ... To my eye, the gamut in this photo is reminiscent of Ektachrome that has been pushed a stop. I have yet to figure out how to get the warm tones to work.

It looks to me like you've white balanced to the sunlight in the scene. Assuming you shot raw, try setting the white balance to standard daylight. I think you'll find that the warm sunlight comes back. You will lose a bit of the blue, but there seems to be plenty of that.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »

This is my first real effort at trying to capture the light I see at the beach after sunrise. It is tricky to balance the contrast, orange-yellow sunlight, and long blue shadows. In addition to those variables, the sand at Siesta Beach is nearly 100% quartz. Quartz crystal sand has unique refractive properties that vary widely depending upon the time of the day and to what is happening in the sky. ... To my eye, the gamut in this photo is reminiscent of Ektachrome that has been pushed a stop (not quite the look I want---neither is Kodachrome). I have yet to figure out how to get the warm tones to work. I tried white balancing and adjusting "to taste" several areas in the scene while developing the RAW file. Then, as a 16-bit PSD file, I experimented with color balance, HSV, and curves. I think I'll eventually find the recipe. It will take some experimentation to render the crisp blueish sparkle while keeping the sunlight in check and the quartz sand. The print looks okay (not great) on Ilford Gold Fiber Silk--I like the way the brightest parts of the image are 255, 255, 255 so that the paper comes through. I don't like the blown whites so much when I view the picture on a tablet screen.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:56:08 pm by BobDavid »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:15:04 pm »

I don't know this will be of any help.  Mine is a simple minded approach looking at the histogram in levels, ignorant as I am of the subtleties of the scene.

The is plus 5 gamma red, -5 gamma green, and -2 gamma blue in levels.

[later] photo removed for adjustments [see later yet]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:28:34 pm by Bruce Cox »

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:28:57 pm »

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your taking the time to adjust the photo. The problem is, as I see it on my surface 3/chrome combo is the sky now looks magenta, the sand is beginning to get that weird yellow/blue cross-curve, and the flesh tones are a bit off (as they are in mine too). I'd be happy to send you a RAW file. I am always open to exploring different ways to attain a goal.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:36:51 pm by BobDavid »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 11:38:31 pm »

This one just moves the center sliders in levels plus 3 for red and green, and plus 2 for blue.  A net of one for yellow and a slightly brighter beach.

If this is less bad, I will give it a rest.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:46:14 pm by Bruce Cox »

stamper

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 04:14:43 am »

In PS a > New Fill Layer < set to yellow and blend mode multiply. Reduce opacity till it looks "correct" Use the Blend If options in Layer Style to target the light areas or darks areas independent of each other if necessary. I use this method on sunsets where the sun has become blown out to take away that paper white area of the sun. Google will give you more information.

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:52:03 am »

In PS a > New Fill Layer < set to yellow and blend mode multiply. Reduce opacity till it looks "correct" Use the Blend If options in Layer Style to target the light areas or darks areas independent of each other if necessary. I use this method on sunsets where the sun has become blown out to take away that paper white area of the sun. Google will give you more information.

I'll give that a try!

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:55:25 am »

This one just moves the center sliders in levels plus 3 for red and green, and plus 2 for blue.  A net of one for yellow and a slightly brighter beach.

If this is less bad, I will give it a rest.

Looks pretty good.

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 12:28:42 am »

I'll give that a try!

Thanks for the tutorial. This technique will come in very handy! The photo now looks the way I wanted--the quartz sand looks correct, the flesh tones glow, and the water is blue. I am now a lot more confident about being able to capture the light at the beach shortly after sunrise.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:37:25 am by BobDavid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up