Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focus Magic - not responding ?  (Read 1662 times)

Manoli

Focus Magic - not responding ?
« on: October 04, 2015, 06:16:26 am »

For several days , I've been trying to obtain a new licence code (a consequence of upgrading to El Capitan) and can't reach the Focus Magic website, invariably getting the 'Safari can't open page - the server isn't responding' message.

Has anyone encountered similar problems or know of any 'issue' relating to focusmagic.com ?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Focus Magic - not responding ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:01:59 am »

For several days , I've been trying to obtain a new licence code (a consequence of upgrading to El Capitan) and can't reach the Focus Magic website, invariably getting the 'Safari can't open page - the server isn't responding' message.

Has anyone encountered similar problems or know of any 'issue' relating to focusmagic.com ?

Hi Manoli,

I just tried, and their website opens as expected (using Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer, on a Win7 platform).
Maybe it's Safari specific?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

howardm

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 07:13:23 am »

I just tested it and it's fine on Safari (osx 10.10) and it's fine.

When these sorts of things happen, it's often that your ISP or some other downstream server(s) have gotten bad DNS or routing updates and cant find a route to the target.  It's often handy to contact your ISP's technical support.

I'm a bit surprised that a new code is required if the only thing to change is the computer's OS.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 07:25:17 am »

I just tested it and it's fine on Safari (osx 10.10) and it's fine.

When these sorts of things happen, it's often that your ISP or some other downstream server(s) have gotten bad DNS or routing updates and cant find a route to the target.  It's often handy to contact your ISP's technical support.

Yes, and make sure you first flush your browser temp files / history / cookies for the website, assuming it works a bit similar to other OS platforms.

I'm a bit surprised that a new code is required if the only thing to change is the computer's OS.

Their registration verification apparently checks some OS files, or modification dates of folders, that are unique to a computer installation.

Cheers,
Bart

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 07:28:13 am »

Focus Magic working fine with me: Lightroom/Photoshop CC latest. El Capitan, iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Hope this helps,

John

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 08:27:41 am »

I just tried, and their website opens as expected (using Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer, on a Win7 platform).
Maybe it's Safari specific?

Hi Bart,

I've just quadruple checked and deleted any and all caches (that I could find on Safari) and disabled ghostery and adblock but no success.

Looks very much, as Howard surmised, a downstream server/DNS issue. Pain.

Best,
M

Unfortunately, it happens with every major  version upgrade on OS X. For some reason it either deletes or resets the registration and when you launch FM you get an 'expired evaluation copy' and it asks you for a new code. FM only allows one registration code, each time it happens you then have to go back and request a new re-validation/authorisation code. I think it's something FM could perhaps review [/diplomatic language].

I'm going to try emailing instead, I'm guessing support@focusmagic.com

Thanks to all for your input.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:24:47 am by Manoli »

howardm

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 09:42:18 am »

Or drag your laptop to the local Starbucks or other free wifi purveyor who will probably be one a different ISP routing ;)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 11:57:42 am »

I'm going to try emailing instead, I'm guessing support@focusmagic.com

Correct, and should you get the web interface working, http://www.focusmagic.com/newcode/ has the form to request a new code.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up