Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the "true" Velvia? (film simulation)  (Read 10973 times)

r010159

Re: What's the "true" Velvia? (film simulation)
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 01:20:59 am »

You should try RPP - it has true film simulation (LUT profiles of real films build by shooting targets on those films and builing and tuning profiles in a lab). It does have two versions of V50 profiles.

RPP appears not to support D750. I am getting a predominantly green hued image. I expected underexposed image, which it is, but it has this hue problem.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:39:28 am by r010159 »

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 04:37:42 am »

RPP appears not to support D750. I am getting a predominantly green hued image. I expected underexposed image, which it is, but it has this hue problem.
Drop them an email - they do have regular beta versions with camera updates that are not published en-mass.

Telecaster

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 06:10:42 pm »

I spent a lotta time on this in the Aughts, and ultimately gave up. IMO trying to simulate Velvia is just as fruitless as trying to simulate Kodachrome. You can get some of the flavor, but compared to the real thing—viewed with rear illumination, whether in a slide viewer (not projector) or through a loupe on a lighttable—it tastes pretty weak. Scanning the real deal and displaying the results on a good monitor or TV gets you closer, but still the 3D nature of the image in the emulsion is lost. As is much of the tonal subtlety.

Note that all this also applies to prints made from transparencies. I rarely had transparencies printed pre-scanning…and then after getting my first scanner rarely printed tranny scans.

Digital color is just different. Some things lost but other things gained…as is typically the case when media, tools & techniques change.

-Dave-

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 03:22:05 am »

You'll never get the 100000:1 CR Velvia look on a 1000:1 display, not to mention 300:1 paper. You'll get closer on new OLED display as they'll become available, but still digital sensor will disort colors to same degree (depending on what's in the image). It's like trying to reproduce glossy c-print on newspaper.
IMHO it's much more reasonable to take advantage of digital medium than to waste time trying to simulate something that physically cannot be simulated.
I spent a lotta time on this in the Aughts, and ultimately gave up. IMO trying to simulate Velvia is just as fruitless as trying to simulate Kodachrome. You can get some of the flavor, but compared to the real thing—viewed with rear illumination, whether in a slide viewer (not projector) or through a loupe on a lighttable—it tastes pretty weak. Scanning the real deal and displaying the results on a good monitor or TV gets you closer, but still the 3D nature of the image in the emulsion is lost. As is much of the tonal subtlety.

Note that all this also applies to prints made from transparencies. I rarely had transparencies printed pre-scanning…and then after getting my first scanner rarely printed tranny scans.

Digital color is just different. Some things lost but other things gained…as is typically the case when media, tools & techniques change.

-Dave-
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Petrus

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 05:22:32 am »

You'll never get the 100000:1 CR Velvia look on a 1000:1 display, not to mention 300:1 paper.

Maximum density of Velvia is about 3.5, which gives 3200:1 contrast range. Nowhere near 100000:1. Not so far from the best monitors, one stop or so.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 05:40:20 am »

Maximum density of Velvia is about 3.5, which gives 3200:1 contrast range. Nowhere near 100000:1. Not so far from the best monitors, one stop or so.

You're right - I wrote one zero too much by a mistake and I thought it's about 4, anyway it's still more than the average display in common enviroment.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:44:37 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up