Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Pro Retina i1Display Pro, yellow tint  (Read 3310 times)

lmflores

Mac Pro Retina i1Display Pro, yellow tint
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:56:51 am »

Hello, everyone. I have just color managed for my first time using:
Macbook Pro 15" Retina Yosemite 10.10.4
i1Display Pro, iProfiler software v. 1.6.3 (latest)

I followed these instructions carefully:
https://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro/support/kb5839

The result had a very yellowish tint. I tried it again at a D75 white point. It was cooler, but not as cool as I'm used to. I don't know what the numerical white point is that I'm used to, but I know it's cooler.

My questions are as follows:
1. Should none of this matter since D65 is the "standard" white point?
2. Does this mean I need to adjust my temperatures lower than what I'm used to in editing to get my desired cooler temperature prints?
3. If I keep this color profile while editing for print, do I change the profile and save another version for the web so the pictures don't look too cool?

I understand laptops aren't the ideal and I am saving for a desktop display in the future.

Thank you for your help in advance.

howardm

Re: Mac Pro Retina i1Display Pro, yellow tint
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 11:08:21 am »

either the unit is having issues or your methodology is not correct.  you shouldn't have to jump through oodles of hoops and you may want to start w/ 'native' white point..

make sure the device is sitting well on the screen w/o any pressure.  Do it in a darkened room at night to keep any ambient out.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:17 am »

Hello, everyone. I have just color managed for my first time using:
Macbook Pro 15" Retina Yosemite 10.10.4
i1Display Pro, iProfiler software v. 1.6.3 (latest)

I followed these instructions carefully:
https://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro/support/kb5839

The result had a very yellowish tint. I tried it again at a D75 white point. It was cooler, but not as cool as I'm used to. I don't know what the numerical white point is that I'm used to, but I know it's cooler.

2. Does this mean I need to adjust my temperatures lower than what I'm used to in editing to get my desired cooler temperature prints?
3. If I keep this color profile while editing for print, do I change the profile and save another version for the web so the pictures don't look too cool?

I understand laptops aren't the ideal and I am saving for a desktop display in the future.

Thank you for your help in advance.

The first time some folks calibrate a display to D65 they often find it quite warm (or, as you say a yellowish tint). This is because you are used to the very cool look of most monitors at their default settings (and many monitors out of the box are very cool - including MacBooks). Its likely nothing is wrong if you have performed the calibration properly and its likely just your perception of the monitor after looking at an uncalibrated blue screen for a long time. Give it a try for a period of time and I think you will find you get used to it.

The thing about D65 is it is to most people relatively neutral in its rendering - ie. neither cool, nor warm, but neutral. This can be skewed by looking at much cooler monitors though so I would give it some time and see how you go with getting used to it.

Your 2nd question - You need to start with a properly calibrated monitor so you have a reference start point. If you like the look of cooler images then by all means go ahead and change the images color temp to suit your taste. There is no right and wrong here - just your subjective impression of what looks good to you. White balance used this way for editing images is a creative tool. But, if you don't start with a display calibrated to a known standard you are in no mans land and throwing darts at a board...

Your 3rd question - Don't worry about the web. Its impossible to render an image to cater for the masses out there. Edit to what you like using a known standard as your starting point, then export out a jpeg in the SRGB color space and upload away. 99.999...% of the world out there lives without calibrated monitors, so no point worrying any more than necessary about what they might see on their end. Get it right on your end.

Lastly, Profiles for print are a different story....
Wild Nature Photo Travel

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:56:38 am »

1. Yes it's important and no, D65 isn't a standard. Pick the WP that produces a visual match to the print or what you wish to match. YMMV.
2. Yes.  See: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
3. Only if you have a system that works with multiple calibration's and associated profiles (NEC SpectraView with their software for example). With the hardware you describe, no.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up