Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering Nikon D810 and El Capitan does not work  (Read 10838 times)

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
Tethering Nikon D810 and El Capitan does not work
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:51:22 pm »

FYI alert. Updating Mac to El Capitan 10.11 breaks Camera Control Pro 2 latest ver.2.22 and also Lightroom CC. At least with my D810. Tried on 2 different machines and 2 different usb cables. Wisely I did not update my MBPro which is what I usually tether with. I'll test further with other nikon cameras later. I just wanted to put this up quickly incase anyone who tethers nikon equipment is thinking of upgrading. Don't do it just yet. I'll confirm with more testing over the weekend.

Otto Phocus

Re: Tethering Nikon D810 and El Capitan does not work
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:54:00 pm »

One of the many reasons I never upgrade any technology when it first comes out.

But I do appreciate those people who do and conduct beta testing for the rest of us. :)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Conner999

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:34:00 pm »

The big reason I keep my tether MBP as old (OS wise) as I can.  Thank you for the heads-up.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 04:28:59 pm »

Before making the leap its usually worthwhile to check for compatibility here:

https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx
Regards,
Ron

Bo Dez

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:13:01 am »

My experience of upgrading apple OS is not good. I don't do it until I have to. IMO, apple is terrible for making buggy software and I don't trust they will ever put out something that just works, like the old days, again.

When I do update it, I always clone my drive before hand so I can quickly and easily go back if necessary, or boot from it separately.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 09:57:33 am »

I've had good luck with Mac OS upgrades over the last 5 years.  I usually wait until the second revision though before upgrading.  By then they've worked out enough wrinkles and the apps I use are updated to run on the new OS.

Cloning a boot drive is always a great idea before any upgrade of the OS.
Regards,
Ron

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 04:24:55 pm »

Well I can confirm that Nikon D3s, D3x, D4 and D810 will not tether in Lightroom, C1Pro, or Nikon Camera Control Pro2 after upgrading to OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Also El Capitan would not recognize an OWC Thunderbay thunderbolt raid and a Firmtek USB3 raid. When they are brought online the computer crashes and restarts on its own then crashes again until they are switched off. I don't know why but possibly because Apple redesigned Disk Utility and it doesn't have the raid options it used to have and the THunderbay has drives that were setup with the previous version of disk utility.

The clock has been turned back on that one machine and everything is functioning as it was. I'm letting the other machine remain since its just an office computer and hasn't had any issues. I am very disappointed though. I did research and didn't see any issues like the ones i mentioned. I unanimously found reports that it is rock solid and mostly speed an stability improvements under the hood, "a no brainer upgrade". And it seemed to do exactly that for one ancillary machine so I tried it on another more active computer.  From past experience I was prepared but it's always frustrating to waste time. Hope I can save someone else the aggravation.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 04:36:16 pm »

I still wonder about the value of yearly OS upgrades.

Considering that Apple is obviously unable to make things work smoothly for anything that isn't part of Mr Alpha's web browsing use cases, there is clearly very little value for serious users.

I am also unclear what it does for Apple.

Cheers,
Bernard

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 04:46:13 pm »

Running an iMac 5K here no problems with any Adobe stuff and my Promise RAID is running fine, just sayin'.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 05:39:39 pm »

I still wonder about the value of yearly OS upgrades.

Considering that Apple is obviously unable to make things work smoothly for anything that isn't part of Mr Alpha's web browsing use cases, there is clearly very little value for serious users.

I am also unclear what it does for Apple.

Cheers,
Bernard

I consider myself a serious user and I find the annual updates valuable. 

They are on something of a tick-tock cycle on the annual updates.  In tick years they tend to offer lots of new features and in the tock years they do more under the hood improvements.  I appreciate both.  This year they have a number of under the hood improvements. 

I'm still waiting for them to bring the Mac file system up to modern standards but then again MS Windows file system is just as ancient. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:47:28 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 06:13:45 pm »

Good for you Ron.

Performance enhancements are always welcome, but I don't remember any useful new feature in OSX since 10.6.8. It's been going downwards since then per my experience.

Eye candy designed for content consumption.

Anyway, I'll upgrade my prod machine in 6 months...

Cheers,
Bernard

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 12:48:32 pm »

No luck with Sony A7R and Remote Camera Control or Lightroom CC.
Also the Nikon D800 won't tether to Lightroom CC.
Wacom Bamboo Tablet don't have an update yet for el Capitan.
Better wait for further updates.
I thought these guys (Apple, Adobe, Nikon, Sony) had a communication agreement of some kind to update their software right before lunch day.
 >:(
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 04:54:35 pm »

In Mavericks they added compressed memory, the only benefit i could find over 10.6.8
Also Mavericks needed the 10.9.5. upgrade to become stable.
If you follow the upgrade path Apple plans for you you have 2 months a year a stable computer.

I hope Metal graphics will bring some real improvements in 10.11 , and i read some old macpros (from 2012) are supported; I still have to find out how i can see ( in the system info?) if metal is working or not.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 11:36:18 pm »

In Mavericks they added compressed memory, the only benefit i could find over 10.6.8

I had high hopes for that, but I am getting more "out of memory" errors with my 128 GB RAM mac pro running the latest 10.x than I ever did before with my big iron running 10.6.8 with 32GB RAM...

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 09:03:54 am »

I had high hopes for that, but I am getting more "out of memory" errors with my 128 GB RAM mac pro running the latest 10.x than I ever did before with my big iron running 10.6.8 with 32GB RAM...

Cheers,
Bernard

What i see is that it does work, but it takes time and cpu-power to shift memory from compressed to free and vice versa.
Also the kernel has to choose what part of the memory is likely not to be used instantly... impossible choice..
So i agree its benefit can be very limited.-

If Adobe is capable of using Metal graphics succesfully in its CC-version it would be a reason for me (and a lot of others i guess) to start a subscription.
I am sure Adobe will be working hard to get it done as soon as possible.
(for them and the user i hope that because of Metal they now have a chance to implement the GPU-power without too many headaches )
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

solonphotos

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 09:32:52 am »

FYI alert. Updating Mac to El Capitan 10.11 breaks Camera Control Pro 2 latest ver.2.22 and also Lightroom CC. At least with my D810. Tried on 2 different machines and 2 different usb cables. Wisely I did not update my MBPro which is what I usually tether with. I'll test further with other nikon cameras later. I just wanted to put this up quickly incase anyone who tethers nikon equipment is thinking of upgrading. Don't do it just yet. I'll confirm with more testing over the weekend.

My experience as well --- I updated my Shooting Studio's 27 inch iMac to El Capitan -- and I was then unable to shoot tethered with my Nikon D800 ----- Camera Control Pro 2 is NOT compatible with El Capitan

dwswager

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »

I suspect a lot of these problems will go away now that Apple has adopted the USB type C connector for their USB cables instead of the old 30 pin and Lightning connectors.  The wiring will be standard USB which is what Nikon, Canon and everyone else supports.  Now Apple just needs to get all their gear and software up to speed.

I am somewhat disappointed Apple chose not to incorporate the Type C connector into the iPhone 6s.  My Google Nexus 6P is Type C and so is the new Microsoft 950XL.  Not often Apple gets left behind.  My daughters will be pissed that when I charge my phone from their macbook pro.

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »

An update for anyone interested in tethering with Nikon gear. Adobe has updated Lightroom and Apple has updated El Capitan but tethering still does not work with Nikon cameras. Nikon has not updated Camera Control Pro 2 and simply says they are looking into the matter and will let me know of their findings when testing is complete. It has been my experience in the past that it takes Nikon about a year to update their software to a new operating system if it breaks their software.

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 03:43:21 pm »

Right now the only way to tether Nikon and Sony and The Capitan is with the latest Capture One.
I finally got it to work with my D800 and Sony A7R.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 07:21:37 pm »

Really! That may be reassuring. Capture One was not connecting for me although I didn't try it today with the latest update to El Capitan. On the other hand, after running El Cap on my personal machine I see no reason to upgrade my workstations from Yosemite. I haven't seen any signs of improvements or enhancements worth mentioning.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up