Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best RAW processing option for Leaf Aptus 75  (Read 3843 times)

FL at CC

Best RAW processing option for Leaf Aptus 75
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:55 am »

Hello, all! As I've recently got my lovely Leaf Aptus 75 (an oldie but a goodie) and am learning the ropes with it on my Blad H1, I'm looking for opinions on the best RAW processing software to get the most out of my images. I've used Lightroom 5 extensively since I started digital photography, though was wondering whether it would be worth it going the way of C1 or DXO from here onto process the RAWs? What are your experiences with the Aptus and PP or simply Leaf backs in general?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Best RAW processing option for Leaf Aptus 75
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:57:53 am »

I would recommend C1P in a heartbeat.
What LR does to my Leaf Credo files is dreadful.

C1P has all original Leaf color profiles and does an amazign job with the files.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

FL at CC

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 09:09:28 am »

I would recommend C1P in a heartbeat.
What LR does to my Leaf Credo files is dreadful.

C1P has all original Leaf color profiles and does an amazign job with the files.

Thanks a bunch, Synn! Is there anything in particular that you find C1 that compliments the Aptus in particular?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:22:21 am »

Leaf is now owned by Phase One, which means that C1P has first hand info on how to process Leaf files best. As mentioned in the previous post, it has all the original Leaf color profiles intact.

The best part though is that as long as you only need to edit files from your Leaf back, you dont't need to pay a cent for C1P. The DB edition is fully functional and the only thing you gain by purchasing the Pro edition is the ability to eidt files from Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

FL at CC

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:30:34 am »

Well it looks like I'll be going with C1! I just don't know why LR just doesn't have the same vibrancy or processing ability as C1 or DXO. Could it be complacency on the part of Adobe? I'm sure C1P would treat my 5D files with far greater resolve also.

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:48:33 pm »

Hello, I think that is a great back you've got and C1 DB is the best way to process it in my opinion. best wishes, Neil

LasseDPF

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 04:24:57 pm »

Capture One, simply the best!

The free C1 DB does not work with the Aptus 75, you need to buy C1 Pro.
But then you can use C1 with any other cameras you have as well.

I use Aptus 75 / C1 every day. Works great. Upgrading from Leaf Capture to Capture One gave me "a new camera".

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=2063
Lasse Morkhagen

FL at CC

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 05:49:28 am »

Leaf is now owned by Phase One, which means that C1P has first hand info on how to process Leaf files best. As mentioned in the previous post, it has all the original Leaf color profiles intact.

The best part though is that as long as you only need to edit files from your Leaf back, you dont't need to pay a cent for C1P. The DB edition is fully functional and the only thing you gain by purchasing the Pro edition is the ability to eidt files from Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.

Hello, I think that is a great back you've got and C1 DB is the best way to process it in my opinion. best wishes, Neil

Capture One, simply the best!

The free C1 DB does not work with the Aptus 75, you need to buy C1 Pro.
But then you can use C1 with any other cameras you have as well.

I use Aptus 75 / C1 every day. Works great. Upgrading from Leaf Capture to Capture One gave me "a new camera".

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=2063

Thanks guys! I've been using C1 Pro for the past few days and may I say, it's absolutely blown me away how well it handles! Especially with the Aptus 75! I definitely agree with you Lasse, C1 has given me 'new cameras' indeed.

ckpics

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 10:23:00 am »

I have been a long time user of Capture One software. It was designed to process Leaf and Phaseone digital backs and it's free for phaseone and leaf without any cost. The learning curve is moderate but logical in it processes. Color is amazing. Phaseone and leaf backs have a broader dynamic range and image sharpening is absolutely  fantastic. All that said just go to the Phase one website setup an account and just download. If you believe you need a bit of education to use, there are many regional opportunities for classroom courses and there are tons of videos on you tube. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 10:33:34 am »

On the topic of regional classroom opportunities... We have classes coming up in NYC, LA, and Dallas in the US. Other dealers run classes in other areas.

The video tutorial series on YouTube is also pretty good and is free!

torger

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 11:02:47 am »

C1 is the default option of course, as you find the Leaf native rendering there. Not all are friends with their looks though, which are quite subjective.

If you're going to use it with LR I recommend using a custom profile. I've attached the profiles I use with my Aptus 75 files when processing. It should work in LR although I'm actually using them in RawTherapee. The first is very neutral, the other adds some (very) subtle subjective adjustments. The profiles work best in outdoor light.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 11:04:31 am »

Having compared C1P to all of the Adobe stuff as well as other programs on Phase One RAW files, I would also recommend C1P - since they own Leaf, they simply know the files better than anybody else and the program is incredibly capable!

torger

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 11:14:04 am »

Having compared C1P to all of the Adobe stuff as well as other programs on Phase One RAW files, I would also recommend C1P - since they own Leaf, they simply know the files better than anybody else and the program is incredibly capable!

I mention this a lot -- knowing the files better does not necessarily yield the most pleasing result. They've spent the most time on the color profiles, but they're all designed with a certain taste. I like many prefer Leaf's taste of color ahead of Phase One's for example, but I like a more neutral rendering even more, that's why I use custom profiles. And when I use custom profiles I don't really think C1 is needed. There are still good reasons to use C1 of course (the color tools are much more powerful than LR's for example), but that C1=fantastic and LR=disaster is a bit exaggerated. If one happen to be used to an LR workflow and like that, it's possible to make it work with high end results also with Leaf and Phase One backs.

In this case the OP seems very pleased with C1, just thought I would balance up the thread a bit for any future readers :-). I actually have come across users that isn't that into Leaf's looks.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »

Hi,

I cannot comment on Leaf files, but I can say that I have been a happy camper with LR on the P45+. But, I made my own colour profiles on day one. You just need a ColorChecker and either Adobe DNG Profile Editor or the Colour Checker Passport software. Both are free. I prefer the Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

Anders Torger has developed DCamProf a great piece of software for this kind of stuff.I have been using his stuff for a while, in a pretty basic mode.

The main message I may have is that colour is mostly profiles and there is no reason to be a slave of Phase One, Adobe or anyone else for colour rendition.On the other hand, there is a lot of effort behind say Capture One profiles for my P45+. Need to have some respect for that.

Now, image processing is not just about colour but also about workflow. I have been working with Lightroom since its inception back in 2006. It has a workflow I very much appreciate. So, I much prefer to do some work on colour profiles than to change workflow to another platform.

Anders Torger's DCamProf supports both LR and C1, but most platforms have full support for DNG, so DCamProf's profiles will work with many other solutions like RawTherapee, AccuRaw and Iridient's Raw Developer.

Best regards
Erik

I mention this a lot -- knowing the files better does not necessarily yield the most pleasing result. They've spent the most time on the color profiles, but they're all designed with a certain taste. I like many prefer Leaf's taste of color ahead of Phase One's for example, but I like a more neutral rendering even more, that's why I use custom profiles. And when I use custom profiles I don't really think C1 is needed. There are still good reasons to use C1 of course (the color tools are much more powerful than LR's for example), but that C1=fantastic and LR=disaster is a bit exaggerated. If one happen to be used to an LR workflow and like that, it's possible to make it work with high end results also with Leaf and Phase One backs.

In this case the OP seems very pleased with C1, just thought I would balance up the thread a bit for any future readers :-). I actually have come across users that isn't that into Leaf's looks.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up