Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FE 55mm f1.8 Missing Focus  (Read 1503 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
FE 55mm f1.8 Missing Focus
« on: October 01, 2015, 02:42:46 am »

Hey guys,

I'm using the Sony 55mm on the A7r II and it is just constantly missing focus. Other lenses not a problem at all. It is the only native lens I'm using so I was thinking either a bad copy or perhaps I'm not focusing correctly. I like to use the small flexible spot focus, focus on the eye (for example) and recompose. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Another bug I've found is the Canon 16-35 2.8 II, using Metabones IV is overexposing one to two stops in bright light.
All of the above could be user error, but I'm pretty familiar with the camera so who knows? Anyone?

Thanks as always!
JB

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: FE 55mm f1.8 Missing Focus
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 03:27:49 am »

If you are focusing and recomposing when a fast lens is wide open, you will miss focus as the plane of focus changes. That's just how it is.
if you want to check for equipment error, put the camera on a tripod, focus on a fixed target and examine the results. If you're still missing focus, there's a hardware problem.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:57:31 am »

I have no problems with this lens and the A7MKII. But I never use flexible spot, as I prefer to select the AF target myself.

When shooting portraits, I use "face recognition", works very well, even wide open picks up the eyes.

On the A7RMKII, eye focus should be even better.

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:31:35 am »

I like to use the small flexible spot focus, focus on the eye (for example) and recompose.
why in the world do you want to focus on eye and recompose when you have Eye AF that will find an eye in the frame and focus on it ?

ron ritcher

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:18:44 pm »

Maybe something else to check: in the Menu settings, did you de-activate "Pre-AF"?  (It's in the "gear" tab, a few pages in)
Keeping it active has the A7rii searching for AF whenever on, so it will kick in shortly after you focus.  Just make sure it's off in the Menu!

Ron

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:11:40 am »

Excellent! Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to try eye AF, face recognition. Thank you for the advice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up