Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error in Sony Long Lens Article - Metabones IV Adapter  (Read 1773 times)

John Hollenberg

Error in Sony Long Lens Article - Metabones IV Adapter
« on: September 30, 2015, 04:56:45 pm »

I would suggest updating the article to reflect that the Metabones IV adapter now has firmware (version 0.43, user updateable) that works properly with the Sony a7r2.  The update came out a few days before the article was published.  Works very well on my a7r2.

Tony Jay

Re: Error in Sony Long Lens Article - Metabones IV Adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »

I would suggest updating the article to reflect that the Metabones IV adapter now has firmware (version 0.43, user updateable) that works properly with the Sony a7r2.  The update came out a few days before the article was published.  Works very well on my a7r2.
Actually this update needs updating - firmware update 0.44 (released 48 hours after 0.43) works even better!  :o

Tony Jay

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:03:54 pm »

Good info.  What is better about 0.44?

michael

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:39:05 pm »

This industry is a fast moving target.

When I wrote the article the firmware was not yet updated. The piece was placed in the queue to be published. This happened while I was on vacation in Italy (just got home). The new firmware has now been noted in the article.

Michael

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 03:18:31 am »

.01   ;)

+1

You've got to love the progress of having one additional piece of equipment to maintain from a firmware standpoint. ;)

I am looking forward to having the chance to upgrade the firmware of my lens caps soon.

Cheers,
Bernard

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:26:03 am »

Good info.  What is better about 0.44?
I would have to look up the fine detail but basically the purpose of the 0.43 update was sound but the execution was not.
Metabones found the issue quick smart and put out the correction within 48 hours.
The adaptor now works as advertised!

Tony Jay

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 05:32:43 am »

+1

You've got to love the progress of having one additional piece of equipment to maintain from a firmware standpoint. ;)

I am looking forward to having the chance to upgrade the firmware of my lens caps soon.

Cheers,
Bernard

Nice comment and I know where you are coming from. But another perspective is, as so often, possible. Lens caps and the like so far excepted, there is no getting away from software (or firmware), and one could equally say "you have got to love the possibility of having the functionality of another piece of equipment significantly improved months or even years after you bought it". That is certainly the case with the Metabones Adapter, which I use and which works better now than when I bought it, particularly for IS, and works with cameras and lenses issued since I bought it, so "why didn't they get it right the first time" doesn't really work. I am also keenly looking forward to the promised firmware update for my EM-1, which will give it automated focus stacking. I think we should expect and celebrate firmware updates, despite the inconvenience (which, in the case of the Metabones adapter, is minimal. the update process is well designed).
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up