Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sept 27 Moonrise & Eclipse  (Read 1087 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Sept 27 Moonrise & Eclipse
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:17:31 pm »

Here in Colorado the timing of the moonrise and Eclipse was a lot nicer than the past several eclipses. I didn't have to stay up late or get up at an ungodly hour, I just went out after dinner. I like context with moon photos so I consider my outing to be half successful.
This one has lots of context, but the eclipse is subtle here. The left side of the moon is darkened just a little. I quickly realized this spot wasn't going to cut it as the eclipse progressed and the landscape went dark. But as the moon rose it worked nicely. That is Mt. Chipeta on the Continental Divide near Monarch Pass.
Pentax K-3 & DA* 60-250
IMGP3277-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr

After the moonrise shot I decided to just head back home and grab a "boring" shot of the fully eclipsed moon from the porch. This was a rare moment when I wished I had more city nearby so I could align something with the moon that produces its own light. Our mountains were just too dark to make an engaging composition with any foreground detail. But I do like the stars present with a full moon. You don't get that very often.
For this shot I used an old 80's era Vivitar 2x tele converter on a similarly old Pentax A* 300/4. Tough to focus that combo but it seemed to work out well enough.
IMGP3305-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

thierrylegros396

Re: Sept 27 Moonrise & Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 03:07:15 pm »

Well done Matt.

For me it was very difficult to shoot the red moon, because the light was not very bright, see other post.

My tripod is not very stiff, so I had to cope with.

SX50HS, 1200mm, 1 second, f5.7, ISO1600.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

francois

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:10:42 am »

The first shot is stupendous!

Bravo
Francois

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:32 am »

Gosh! Congrats, and my envy! Cloudy here until eclipse was well over.  :-[  Mine would have been an urbanscape.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:30:21 pm »

Well done Matt.

For me it was very difficult to shoot the red moon, because the light was not very bright, see other post.

My tripod is not very stiff, so I had to cope with.

SX50HS, 1200mm, 1 second, f5.7, ISO1600.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Thanks! Yes, a good tripod is something I consider critical to good outdoor photography, especially at night and even more so with a dark celestial object like the eclipsed moon! I actually discovered a little wobble in my setup during this shoot but it turned out to be a loose screw that I just needed to tighten up a little. I only ruined two exposures before realizing it.
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 12:32:02 pm »

Gosh! Congrats, and my envy! Cloudy here until eclipse was well over.  :-[  Mine would have been an urbanscape.

Thanks so much! I was pretty pleased myself and it's been very popular on Facebook, whatever that is worth.  :P
I've missed moon rises all summer due to cloudy conditions so I feel your pain! The full moon rising is one of my favorite photographic subjects, even more so if there is an eclipse!
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 12:32:38 pm »

The first shot is stupendous!

Bravo

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with it myself.
-MattB

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 12:01:21 am »

Your first image drew me right in.  Breathtaking!

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up