Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Only in America  (Read 1846 times)

jeremyrh

Only in America
« on: September 28, 2015, 05:56:14 am »

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/02/us/man-selfie-shooting/index.html?iref=obinsite

"Houston teen kills himself while taking a selfie with a gun"

What dynamic range do you get with a gun, by the way?

Rob C

Re: Only in America
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:34:02 am »

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/02/us/man-selfie-shooting/index.html?iref=obinsite

"Houston teen kills himself while taking a selfie with a gun"

What dynamic range do you get with a gun, by the way?

As with photography (which I know is why you asked), depends on the calibre.

Regardless, there's often lots of noise.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:25:45 am by Rob C »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:35:07 am »

On a lighter note, Yogi Berra, on being told that heavily Catholic Dublin, Ireland had elected a Jewish mayor, is reported to have said "Only in America."

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:44:42 am »

Granted that I am coming from a position of not understanding much of the whole "selfie" thing, but this case confuses me even more.

I can understand wanting to take a photograph if yourself holding a gun in an aggressive or menacing pose... going for the tough guy gangster look.

But what is the attraction to taking a photograph of yourself with a gun held up to your own head??? ??? ??? ??? It is not a particularly attractive pose.

But as I get older, I find my self not "getting" a lot of things these days.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

landscapephoto

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:38:18 am »

Only in America? Ha! In Russia, this kind of accident is so common, that the government launched a campaign against it...

Russian police have launched a campaign urging people to take safer selfies after accidents caused by high-risk poses have resulted in about 100 injuries and dozens of deaths this year.

“A cool selfie could cost you your life,” the interior ministry warned in a new leaflet packed with tips such as “a selfie with a weapon kills”.

That warning comes after a string of recent selfie-related accidents. In May, a 21-year-old woman accidentally shot herself in the head in Moscow while taking a selfie holding a pistol. She suffered injuries but survived.

In January, two young men died in the Urals while taking a selfie holding a hand grenade with the pin pulled out. The mobile phone with the selfie survived as a record.

In May, a teenager in the Ryazan region died while attempting to photograph himself as he climbed on a railway bridge and accidentally came into contact with live electrical wires.

“Unfortunately we have noted recently that the number of accidents caused by lovers of self-photography is constantly increasing,” said Yelena Alexeyeva, an aide to the interior minister. “Since the beginning of the year we are talking about some hundred cases of injuries for sure.”

Meanwhile, in Mexico... (o.k., technically, Mexico is in America.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:42:53 am by landscapephoto »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:51:59 am »

Granted that I am coming from a position of not understanding much of the whole "selfie" thing, but this case confuses me even more.

I can understand wanting to take a photograph if yourself holding a gun in an aggressive or menacing pose... going for the tough guy gangster look.

But what is the attraction to taking a photograph of yourself with a gun held up to your own head??? ??? ??? ??? It is not a particularly attractive pose.

But as I get older, I find my self not "getting" a lot of things these days.

How glad I am to hear that! I was beginning to believe myself entirely alone.

This would go down well in the 'Seniors' thread.

Actually, feeling alone doesn't mean that you feel lonely; in my case it's more a realisation of being the last man standing within a generation of family. And strangely, that, too, is a feeling that varies from member to member within the same wider family.

For instance, I feel deeply the total loss of parents on both sides of my marriage as defining the end of a personal generation. It signalled the end of pleasant options, one being the wonderful drives across France up to Scotland where we would spend six weeks alternating a series of stops between parents (my wife ended up wearing the apron in both options!). Another signifier of generational endings is marked by the final exits of friends. Knowing many younger people, including one's own children, isn't the same thing at all when you are considering personal identity; even early children arrive far too late in the series of events to determine character and life-bases for their parents. I think one identifies irrevocably within one's own age group, give or take perhaps ten years at the most. Older folks, such as grandparents, never quite fit and younger ones are simply too far away, with different experiences and tastes, the one extreme explaining the other.

As it is, though I know many ships sailing past me slowly in the shortening longer night, I try to avoid as many as possible. There are too many demands, situational drinks nobody really needs, pointless bumping intos, meaningless air kisses etc. etc. Being left to one's own devices is an escape from all of those pressures and social pretences. Thank God for photography as a sort of panacean alternative. Short of that, there would be very little reason left to keep taking the tablets. Unless just for spite!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:53:30 am by Rob C »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 08:14:40 pm »

Thirty billion selfies were taken last year, there has to be a good chance that it includes a lot of stupid people.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:09:16 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

michael

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:45:29 pm »

I just returned from a vacation in Italy, including Rome and Florence (mostly in the Tuscan countryside though).

The point being (no pun intended) that selfie sticks are a mortal hazard. It's impossible to walk the crowded streets of these cities without someone poking you with one.

And, the piece de resistance has got to be the selfie stick with a built-in spoon, recently announced.

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/21/this-selfie-spoon-lets-you-hop-into-your-food-shots/

Beware – the end is neigh.

Michael

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 01:38:21 am »

Selfies should be banned unless you're really really hot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up