Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile for Sony A7r II?  (Read 22634 times)

sebbe

Re: Profile for Sony A7r II?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 07:41:54 am »

I made my own Capture One (v9) A7RII profile with DCamprof. The profile was made out of a shot with a CC24 in high noon sunlight (5000k).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:58:56 am by sebbe »

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 03:58:41 pm »

Some people were interested in charts shot at ISO 50 with the A7rII, here a CCSG and IT8.7 :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qitmp7aanzg72us/FH-A7_charts_ISO50.zip?dl=1

Shot with strobes around 5000K (.sp files included for each) + flat field pic. The folder includes the capture one v9 settings too.
CCSG is post Nov 2014, IT8 is from W. Faust (charge R131007).

Since I don't use my A7rII much, I have not bothered to create some ICC profiles yet.

ghamauricio

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 11:14:39 pm »

Hello there. Just registered and this is my first post. I know this is an old thread and all, but I just wanted to thank Torger for his works on the profiles made available here.

I have taken a picture of a flower and I can't seem to get a decent camera profile that doesn't make it's colors "electric".
Also, I can't ever seem to find Lightroom's skies rendered better then CaptureOne, and that's with C1's default color profile.

Don't really know about skin tones, but I have a question: is there any one single profile that looks good for every kind of photography ( considering same illuminant)?
Landscape, macro, portrait etc, supposing same weather conditions - is it too much to expect that I can use only one profile for it all and it will always looks awesome?

Anyway, here's a link to the original compressed RAW file of the flower and it's in-camera generated JPEG.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jaec602w6kavg7a/AADtVy2UsLx-L3DaaOhktDLfa?dl=0

The Adobe "standard" profile does the best job at keeping the colors "natural", but they kinda lack some vibrance and always look kinda plain. But it's not really linear, if I crank the vibrance slider up, some colors look too vibrant (can't recall which ones right now, camera is new and I haven't taken too many decent pictures with it worth peeping to much).

Still, the in-camera JPEG is close enough to what I recall from the scene, but still a bit electric too. And I just love shooting RAW for a variety of reasons.

Also, C1's color renderings almost always look better then Lightrooms, as I said. The problem is: I think the software itself is too cumbersome and Lightroom is A LOT more practical to work with.

BTW: These verification steps are a PITA.

daicehawk

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »

Do you have any target that includes colorchecker patches? IF you do, could you take a picture on a midday that would include the target, skies (the light cyan to deep purplish gradient in case a clear sky would be great) and the subject in question (flower).
The common problem is the saturation vs lightness compromise. You either have the right saturation, but the most of the photo is dull, or you have popping picture with light bright cartoonish colors.

ghamauricio

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 04:40:31 pm »

Nope, unfortunatelly I don't have a colorchecker. I'm thinking about buying one. Is the X-Rite Passport good enough? Is there any one better?

Would that problem be solved with some wide gamut monitor? Isn't it possible to dull down the extra-vibrant colors to "compress" it to an sRGB monitor and all look nice and natural?

scyth

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 05:20:25 pm »

Nope, unfortunatelly I don't have a colorchecker. I'm thinking about buying one. Is the X-Rite Passport good enough? Is there any one better?

you can experiment with the following raw cgats files (see .ti3 attached) - those files work both for dcamprof command line (free) and LPrD GUI (commercial) - they shall work for both ACR/LR dual illuminant and C1 single illuminant profiles building :

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118075.msg980902#msg980902
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118075.msg980903#msg980903

scyth

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 05:28:01 pm »

depends on the flower - if the color is saturated then Passport is not the one (but it is a good target in terms how patches are made) , but then - are you trying to do repro or just kick the colors ? if latter then why not in postprocessing - there are tools/plugins like http://www.uni-vologda.ac.ru/~c3c/plug-ins/colorwizardbasic.htm or https://www.3dlutcreator.com/ or http://nuclearlight.net/firegrade.html or http://curvemeister.com or whatever... even a naked PS can do

PS: and for certain colors you might run into issues how decent camera's sensor CFA spectral sensitivity will handle those

scyth

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »

you can experiment with the following raw cgats files (see .ti3 attached) - those files work both for dcamprof command line (free) and LPrD GUI (commercial) - they shall work for both ACR/LR dual illuminant and C1 single illuminant profiles building :

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118075.msg980902#msg980902
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118075.msg980903#msg980903

while trying to repeat somebody converting in one converter in a different one is a very ungrateful thing - here is a simple pure matrix profile built with above mentioned raw cgats in ACR vs posted C1 conversion... not 100.00000% but

sebbe

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 02:10:38 am »

All three ARWs were opened with a custom profile in C1 then I adjusted the exposure slider to avoid clipping in critical areas. Nothing more. The profile was made with Lumariver and is made for a linear curve use. In general I can recommend to use linear curve in C1.
Does this looks better to you?

Edit: As the colors in the first one looks too blue I've added a processed-to-my-taste version (whitebalance set to daylight + some contrast with curve/contrast/brightness/vignetting).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:22:34 am by sebbe »

ghamauricio

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »

Hello again Scyth and Sebbe.
Sorry for the delay, I work out of state and my laptop is frustratingly slow. I also have a very tight schedule from time to time, which makes things even more complicated.

I tried to read more about color calibration, but I'm really crude in this area. I thought there would be a single profile for each illuminant that would make all my photos render perfectly, but that doesn't seem to be the case and I still don't really understand why.

I'm looking forward to buying a colorchecker - if that will help me get more accurate colors. I'm not a professional photographer, and I just want my pictures to look good. And by good I mean close to reality - I don't like overprocessing, tone-compressing HDR and those "fine art" BS. Why can't a CCD have the same response as a film and call the day? :/

Anyway, what am I supposed to do to have decent looking photos, with realistic colors? Sorry for the dumbness.

sebbe

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28:12 am »

Hi Mauricio

It's as you said. There is no profile for everything. But if you're avoid clipping and not shooting bright colored light you may be fine with one profile.

A profile is a combination of camera, lens, light and used used target. Most tend to reduce it to the camera only.

ghamauricio

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 08:00:26 am »

Aaaww that's a little frustrating... :(

But which colour target should I buy? Which one is a good all rounder?

Also, what would those 3d LUT softwares be useful for?

Thanks again, guys!
Best regards

sebbe

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 02:55:32 am »

Ciao Mauricio

I was in Italy for holidays. :)

If you're already frustrated then don't start with it. Shooting targets and building profiles needs time and knowledge. And there is also a good amount of try and error to get a final and reproducable setup.

We're subjects therefore any picture, it's colors and processing are subjective views on reality. No matter how good your profile is. This is the great thing about humanity it opens the possibility to be creative. And because of that there is no need to be very exact in colors.

About the target question: The best general target in my oppinion is the Color Checker SG but it is also the most expensive. If you want a cheap and easy to use target go for the Color Checker Passport. It may be not the best if you look after controlling very saturated colors. If you look at color transitions take the it8.7 target.

Have a good day, Seb.

ghamauricio

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 07:21:00 pm »

We're subjects therefore any picture, it's colors and processing are subjective views on reality. No matter how good your profile is. This is the great thing about humanity it opens the possibility to be creative. And because of that there is no need to be very exact in colors.

Yeah man, you're right. I'm kinda perfectionist and the colors in my RX-100 M1 were a little off, specially in the blue/purple range. Maybe the best for turning Lightroom's color handling accuracy to something more like C1 would be ideal, but I don't think it's worth buying a US$ 300 dollars target that'll last maybe only two years. Besides, I don't know if I'll be able to shoot the targets with zero reflection, so I'll end up wasting money. The Passport is kinda ok, but it won't help much with highly saturated colors and I can use C1 just for those occasions.

I'm going for a road trip in California in September. Hope to get some nice shots and take a break from life. Hehe

Thank you all again for your help, and I wish you all the best!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up