Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the hobby of reproducing reality.  (Read 7940 times)

Tarnash

Re: On the hobby of reproducing reality.
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 03:24:00 am »

I've not read every post in this thread so, please forgive me if I'm doubling up on a previous suggestion.  Your clearly interested in audio recording and the negative critique you've received says more, perhaps, about the critics than your skills or dedication to the craft.  So, what about recording other sounds.  Wildlife for example.  There are a gazillion bird photographers (I'm one) but, in all my birding expeditions, I've only ever come across one sound recordist. I spent a fascinating half hour with him and learned quite a bit.  I hasten to add that I've no other experience in the audio field but imagine there are forums somewhere on the net where you can discuss equipment, locations, etc. and get feedback about your work.  There are too almost unlimited opportunities to learn about `performers'  and `performances' and I think you'd be most unlikely to encounter the kind of negative criticism you've previously experienced.  Oh! and if you should decide to go that way.  Take a camera and post some images.  Good luck!       

Jimbo57

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 06:25:23 am »

Photography is a solitary art or it's nothing.

Rob C

Bollocks.

Photography is, above all else, a communicative art. Regarding it as a solitary art is akin to masturbation. (OK - that last bit is not original - I read it elsewhere but thought "How True".)

If your photographs do not convey meaning or engender emotion in others, then I fear you are wasting your time and your talent.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:26:58 am by Jimbo57 »

amolitor

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2015, 10:07:57 am »

I think what Rob is saying, and what I am saying, is that photography is something that you do alone.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2015, 10:32:43 am »

Now my next question is the following. I don't want to end up in an audiophile forum discussing the properties of golden cables. What hobbies do you suggest I take to replace sound recording?

Motorcycle racing has the advantage that after everyone has given their opinion on what works, the final opinion is given by the stopwatch.

Although even then there is a golden cable effect: plenty of stories of the tuner modifying a setting by one turn left, one turn right, and the rider going out and dropping 1s/lap because it feels better :-)

There is the disadvantage that it costs lots of money and it isn't kind to aging bones...

stamper

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 10:58:46 am »

I think what Rob is saying, and what I am saying, is that photography is something that you do alone.

Agreed.

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 01:08:56 pm »

Indeed so, but some posts are only posted to start wars.

Folks generally do understand original meanings, but the 'fun', for some, lies in perversions of same.

Let it ride...

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 03:23:02 pm »

By delightful (and timely) coincidence, I just found this jewel in Jeanloup Sieff's eponymous book:

1.10.98 (his diary): Exactly as onanism is a solitary pursuit, so is photography; therefore, a "workshop'" must be defined as an orgy.

I have risked a thunderstorm to reopen the computer to give you this piece of news. Who says I don't care!

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 04:26:16 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

landscapephoto

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 05:07:53 pm »

Motorcycle racing has the advantage that after everyone has given their opinion on what works, the final opinion is given by the stopwatch.

That would be too competitive for me.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 05:13:38 pm »

Don't think you'ld want to tell that to photographer's assistants and interns.

amolitor

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2015, 05:32:36 pm »

I'd have no problem telling them that.

If you don't see why, in a room full of people with props, pointing the camera at one or more live models, photography is still an essentially solitary act, well, I can't explain it any better. So.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2015, 06:35:51 pm »

Like most things, that depends....   :)

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2015, 09:02:13 pm »

I think there's the potential for endless riffing off that one quote.

David, thanks for the laugh.  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up