Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7R 2 for repro of paintings  (Read 1316 times)

Roscolo

Sony A7R 2 for repro of paintings
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:09:05 pm »

Anyone who owns the Sony A7R 2 using it for repro of paintings? Could someone who owns the Sony upload a RAW sample of a photo of a painting shot in a studio copywork situation?

Tx

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Sony A7R 2 for repro of paintings
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 04:52:55 am »

Anyone who owns the Sony A7R 2 using it for repro of paintings? Could someone who owns the Sony upload a RAW sample of a photo of a painting shot in a studio copywork situation?

Hi,

Just wondering, what is it that you expect to learn from that?

It has just a sensor like many others, with a higher resolution than some (for a 35mm full frame), but for the moment may still suffer some ill effects due to lossy Raw data compression. It still requires good quality lighting of the subject, and it still requires a good lens. And like any repro situation, it can benefit from custom profiling and a good Raw processor.

Maybe, if there is a specific aspect of it that you are concerned about, it would be easier to focus on that?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 05:05:34 am »

Hi,

Just wondering, what is it that you expect to learn from that?

It has just a sensor like many others, with a higher resolution than some (for a 35mm full frame), but for the moment may still suffer some ill effects due to lossy Raw data compression. It still requires good quality lighting of the subject, and it still requires a good lens. And like any repro situation, it can benefit from custom profiling and a good Raw processor.

Maybe, if there is a specific aspect of it that you are concerned about, it would be easier to focus on that?

Cheers,
Bart

I think it's obvious what one learns from sample files. I wanted to compare pro copywork shot with the Sony to my own pro copywork. To the folks who sent me files: Thank you!

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:51:00 am »

I think it's obvious what one learns from sample files. I wanted to compare pro copywork shot with the Sony to my own pro copywork. To the folks who sent me files: Thank you!

i believe the most important criterion for artwork copying is how well the highlights separate—if there is film-like roll-off, the highlights will be flat and grey. I shoot mainly on m43 these days—my Olympus E-M5 has a heavy roll-off in the highlights which helps in some extreme circumstances, but also makes for a dull flatness in others; my relatively ancient Lumix G3 on the other hand can sparkle in the highlights if exposure is right.

I tend to have to underexpose the Olympus to push highlight tones down the tone curve, where there is more slope; doing this reminds me of trying to pick an appropriate filmstock in olden times, underexpose the shot, and push the dev 10% to 20% to up the contrast. And it was still shit! Things are better now.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up