Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Superachromat with CFV-50c back images  (Read 2115 times)

Balt

Hasselblad Superachromat with CFV-50c back images
« on: September 26, 2015, 05:36:12 am »

Hi all,

Does anyone here have a V system with the 50c back and either the 250 or 350mm Superachromat lens? I'd be very interested in seeing some sample images. I wonder how do those lenses hold up against the finest 21st century glass? Comparisons with other lenses/camera systems (e.g. Pentax) would be very interesting as well.

Cheers

- Balt

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: Hasselblad Superachromat with CFV-50c back images
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:53:32 am »

When I became interested in the CFV-50c a few months ago, I found information and sample images to be depressingly sparse.  A couple of YouTube videos (Matt Day, Matt Grainger, and a nice infomercial by Charlie Waite), a spare handful of forum threads here and over at GETDPI, and a very few images.  The CFV-50c has been mentioned lots because of its price point, but there has been an unfortunate dearth of anything more meaningful - hard information by those actually using it.

All that said, I pulled the trigger on the back about three weeks ago.  First impressions, used with a 500C/M, are very, very positive.  Alas, I don't have either the 250 Superachromat or 350 Tessar lenses, so can't help you there.  But I've been generally impressed with the imagery from shorter, classic Zeiss glass.  My 50 Distagon, 80 Planar, and 150 Sonnar (the latter two the older 'C-type' lenses) all produce excellent results.

I mostly shoot Leica M with (mostly) modern glass, so that's my frame of reference.  The Zeiss optics on a V-system aren't as "pure" as, say, a Summicron 50 APO.  But then not much is.  If I had to describe the look, I'd say they render very cleanly, but with a touch of character; with the added benefit - the only benefit - that the crop eliminates any problems in the corners.

The sensor crop tends to move your use cases to the left - to shorter nominal focal lengths.  I am using the 50 much more with the MFDB, whereas I use the 80 more with film.  Your 250 and 350 glass would be crazy long with a MFDB.  Heck, they're crazy long on film!  ;-)

I'll probably write up something more comprehensive on the CFV-50c in a few weeks.  In the meantime, I highly recommend it for those wanting very high quality digital files from V-system gear.

Balt

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 10:00:51 am »

Hi Jeff,

I do have a 50c back as well since early this year and am very happy with it. I am however specifically interested in the superachromat lenses mentioned. There are huge differences in quality which has become evident with this back (had a CFV 16 before). If you have a V system, the 180Ci is a lens to look for... Also happy with the 50 CFi and the 30, but at longer focal lengths, the 250 and 500 apotessar is simply not cutting it.

Cheers

- Balt

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:48:48 am »

Hi,

Yes, the 180/4 CFi is a great lens.

With the "Blads" it is also about making best use of the stuff. Focusing is not easy, mirror lock up obligatory.

Looking at MTF data I don't know if the 250/5.6 SA is a relevation. I don't know if it is sharper than the 180/4. Chromatic aberrations are better controlled in the SA lens for sure.

There are some lenses like this one, that really look good:http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/pdf/lds/CFE350.pdf

Best regards
Erik

Hi Jeff,

I do have a 50c back as well since early this year and am very happy with it. I am however specifically interested in the superachromat lenses mentioned. There are huge differences in quality which has become evident with this back (had a CFV 16 before). If you have a V system, the 180Ci is a lens to look for... Also happy with the 50 CFi and the 30, but at longer focal lengths, the 250 and 500 apotessar is simply not cutting it.

Cheers

- Balt
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up