Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H1 ball head and bracket choices  (Read 1710 times)

FL at CC

Hasselblad H1 ball head and bracket choices
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:22:43 pm »

Hello LuLa friends!! My name is Frank from Melbourne, Australia. Long-time reader of LuLa, first time post! I've recently stepped up to medium format digital, scoring Hasselblad H1 and a lovely Leaf Aptus 75. As my primary focus is fashion and beauty photography, of course a reliable tripod and head is paramount. I've been used to shooting handheld most of my photographic life with your typical 5D in studio, though only now realistically do I need to rely on tripod use. I have my 70's vintage Gitzo, which is sensational and handles my Pentax 67 beautifully, though has always been a right pain when shooting with the run of the mill Manfrotto pan head. As the market is massively inundated with remarkable and unremarkable ball heads alike, which would be suitable to support my new MFD rig? Anything like Manfrotto RC2 or would an Arca-based system from Kirk, RRS, Markins or Sirui be the ticket? I'm on a humble budget, nothing over the top is needed. Merely a nice, robust, yet reasonably priced head is my aim. I shoot very frequently in portrait, so would an L-bracket be best? Or would simply relying on the indentation of the ball head to act suitably?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:30:39 pm by FL at CC »

FL at CC

Re: Hasselblad H1 ball head and bracket choices
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 03:41:38 am »

Anyone have any opinions?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:23:20 am »

Well I have a 486RC2 if you want to buy one (in Sydney).
I use a massive Linhof in the studio with an Arca style plate. I just have the cheaper clamps from ebay. They are quite well engineered these days.
The L plate you pretty much have to get the RRS. Again on eBay. Flat plates are readily available.

Actually I don't shoot people with a tripod ever unless I am one of the people or it is a multiple exposure type thing.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

FL at CC

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:35 am »

Well I have a 486RC2 if you want to buy one (in Sydney).
I use a massive Linhof in the studio with an Arca style plate. I just have the cheaper clamps from ebay. They are quite well engineered these days.

Oh wow! Am I correct in that your RC2 has currently an Arca plate? Was it simply just a matter of unbolting the Manfrotto plate from the ball and bolting on the Arca-style piece?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:47:44 pm »

Oh wow! Am I correct in that your RC2 has currently an Arca plate? Was it simply just a matter of unbolting the Manfrotto plate from the ball and bolting on the Arca-style piece?
No, it was a matter of putting the entire Manfrotto head in a cupboard and buying a Linhof head on eBay. This has a 3/8" thread for the pseudo Arca plate.
As far a could tell, and I tried hard, you can't get the Manfrotto plate off.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:50:37 pm »

if you are looking for a bullhead , there really are just two to consider: The Arca-Swiss Z1 and the Really Right Stuff BH-55. With either one I would add a Really Right St Stuff PC-Pro or PC-LR clamp.

if you are looking for a double tilt and Panning head, the best are the Linhof pan tilt head,  the Foba ASMIA, and the Arca-Swiss C1.. As it happens there's someone in Australia selling an ASMIA for $335  : http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOBA-Asmia-3-Way-Double-Pan-Tilt-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-Head-/191708295116?hash=item2ca2b46fcc

All three of those heads were designed to support 8x10 view cameras and are extremely precise and smooth.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:02:23 pm by Ellis Vener »
Pages: [1]   Go Up