Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne XF  (Read 5403 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
PhaseOne XF
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:35 am »

What does this cost-body only?
Mike

sgilbert

Re: PhaseOne XF
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 11:50:12 am »

See the Capture Integration box up top?

Click it.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:45 pm »

Body list is $7990.00. U.S.

This is with no trade in from DF+

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Sellers

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »

I see that the body with WL finder in under $7,000. The Hasselblad H5 X is about $6,000. This would be a tough choice!
Mike

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 07:12:06 pm »

I see that the body with WL finder in under $7,000. The Hasselblad H5 X is about $6,000. This would be a tough choice!
Mike

No for me it wouldn't: I'd get a Pentax or Leica. Sensor thrown in for the same price, and in the case of Leica access to Contax and H optics.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Theodoros

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 08:49:10 pm »

Mike

I don't see a "tough choice" Mike... one camera works with all market backs, the other with P1 IQ only... One of the cameras can be used with film... the other can't, one camera can do multishot with some backs, the other doesn't... With one of them you can keep your back, with the other not!

Theodoros

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 08:56:47 pm »

Forgot to mention... one of the cameras takes a shift/tilt adapter, the other doesn't... The lenses of one system are usable with a Leica S, the other not! ...not a competition really, is there?  ;)  :-X

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 11:44:58 pm »

It's funny how the game has been completely reversed btwn Hassy and P1 in one year.

Who would have thought that Hassy would be praised for its openess? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 12:05:58 am »

The difference I see "before" is that it seems one company had the best MFDBs and was looking for a (better) camera body; the other had a camera body and needed a (better) MFDB; One also arguable buoyed by a better software workflow solution with C1 Pro.

Now I see a a company with a better MFDB, a better camera body (the platform it needed), and supported by the best software workflow solution.  Of course, that's just imo. I've had the IQ180 for several years now, and for the XF camera to support all IQ series backs going forward is fine by me considering the upgrades in technology in the platform. And yes, the H5x is an option too. Film? I guess I could have used a film back on the old AFDII, but never ever did. Clients won't put up with the wait. I guess the Cambo can take a film back, but the reality is I'd rather shoot digital. That's why I got the MFDB in the first place!  Multishot? Really?  How many people are swapping in and out with multishot backs?  The MFDB crowd is a relatively small one and I'd gander that the Multishot crowd a much smaller subset yet.  Eh, different strokes I guess. Whatever floats your boat---just stick with it and be happy. It's nice to have a few choices, right?

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:34:21 am »

Any reason not to consider a Pentax ? like others have said, that price itself will pay for a pentax 645z.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 01:05:27 am »

Any reason not to consider a Pentax ? like others have said, that price itself will pay for a pentax 645z.

If it floats your boat, get it!  ;D

I'd love to see a 645z IR or Full Spectrum conversion.

ken

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 01:44:37 am »

Mike, you have half a dozen threads running in the forum asking about every MF option by now. I know exactly what you're doing because I was on the same boat a while ago. You have set a budget and are trying to see what existing options for into it. This is how I started too, but unfortunately, that is a terrible way to get into MF.

One needs to actually think of MF as a system. That covers not just the body, but also the backs, the post production software, first and third party accessories, future upgrade paths, lens availability and so on. Do a check against your list of requirements and see which system crosses the most boxes . For example, if all you need is to shoot landscapes and are fully comfortable with Lightroom, there is no need to think further, just get the Pentax. If you need to do flash and ambient light work, your best options are phase and mamiya. If you need tilt shift for almost all lenses that you have, hassellblad would be the right choice. And so on.

For me, the priorities were

- good legacy lenses at decent prices
- leaf shutter lenses for strobe work
- back and body separately upgradable
- a good screen at the back for review
- capture one pro compatibility as it was my preferred raw converter

Mamiya leaf checked the most boxes at the least price and that is what I went with. Couldn't be happier.
I suggest you do the same analysis to make your decision, instead of trying to shoehorn options into a budget.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Theodoros

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:08 am »

Mike, you have half a dozen threads running in the forum asking about every MF option by now. I know exactly what you're doing because I was on the same boat a while ago. You have set a budget and are trying to see what existing options for into it. This is how I started too, but unfortunately, that is a terrible way to get into MF.

One needs to actually think of MF as a system. That covers not just the body, but also the backs, the post production software, first and third party accessories, future upgrade paths, lens availability and so on. Do a check against your list of requirements and see which system crosses the most boxes . For example, if all you need is to shoot landscapes and are fully comfortable with Lightroom, there is no need to think further, just get the Pentax. If you need to do flash and ambient light work, your best options are phase and mamiya. If you need tilt shift for almost all lenses that you have, hassellblad would be the right choice. And so on.

For me, the priorities were

- good legacy lenses at decent prices
- leaf shutter lenses for strobe work
- back and body separately upgradable
- a good screen at the back for review
- capture one pro compatibility as it was my preferred raw converter

Mamiya leaf checked the most boxes at the least price and that is what I went with. Couldn't be happier.
I suggest you do the same analysis to make your decision, instead of trying to shoehorn options into a budget.

Εxactly.... In fact, I'm surprised you didn't go with Hasselblad body for your back... It "clicks all boxes" and a few more...  ;)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 07:56:51 am »

Εxactly.... In fact, I'm surprised you didn't go with Hasselblad body for your back... It "clicks all boxes" and a few more...  ;)

Actually, I was very interested in the Hasselblad bodies because of Trufocus, but when I was doing my research, there was no H4X and I was not interested in getting an old, used H1 or H2. Furthermore, Mamiyaleaf had a pretty good deal going on when I bought my kit where the camera and the lens were basically thrown in for free. Even with the H4X/ H5X, one needs ot buy expensive Hasselbald lenses, where as with the Mamiya, I can get incredibly good legacy AF lenses for three figures. It also does not check the box of being able to use higher shutter speeds in ambient light conditions.

Lastly, the friendly neighborhood Hasselblad dealer was not so friendly afterall while the Mamiya guy was extremely accommodating. This all ties into what I said earlier, the sticker price alone is not a decision maker, there are lots of other factors involved.

I see that "Film" is being brought up as some sort of differentiator in this thread. Well, I have a full Bronica ETRSi kit with three lenses and two viewfinders sitting in the cabinet that together is probably worth less than a Phase or Hassy lens cap these days. That satisfies all the film craving I need, but the fact is that I haven't shot film in close to two years now. There simply isn't any reason anymore other than nostalgia. Films are getting discontinued left and right, labs are closing down or limiting what they can process (The ones I used to go to don't do E-6 anymore)and so on.

As for the XF, you could add an AFD III or something to your kit for very little money and use most of your lenses on it, so I don't really see how a phase owner would be locked out of film completely.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:03:45 am by synn »
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Manoli

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 08:12:59 am »

It's just a box of electronics owned by venture capitalists with the goal to move you to the next higher priced back.

No, Private Equity.
If you ever come up against them, you'll know the difference.

M

Mike Sellers

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 08:49:20 am »

Thanks for the info! With my budget I could get a 645D and get a number of lenses including the 90 mm macro with image stabilization but I like the tilt shift module from Hassy too. I already have a PhaseOne 645AF but no digital back so it would be expensive to fill out my kit. I should mention that the film capability of the Hassy H5X is interesting because I have a Tango drum scanner but I have been thinking of selling it. Decisions!

rueyloon

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 09:08:21 am »

Maybe this ?

https://www.facebook.com/denislim.ta?fref=photo
Hassy H5D with 40 back for $16800 SGD, that's $12k USD.

there is also a P65+ with 645DF+ camera for the same price.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 09:21:28 am »

Is the Cambo Actus with Sony camera body a viable alternative? I am worried about the small size of the control knobs making it hard to kind of slow and fussy in the field?

rueyloon

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 10:44:20 am »

What do you shoot ? or plan to shoot so we can advice you better.

I've used my digital back on an Acra Swiss 69 with a wide angle lens such as the 35mm. It is almost impossible to focus, I think the total focussing distance is like 1-2mmm. You need very precise knobs to achieve good focus.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 11:44:46 am »

I do strictly landscapes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up