Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daily Bread  (Read 2267 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Daily Bread
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:42:18 am »

Daily Bread...

Peter

Otto Phocus

Re: Daily Bread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:01:41 am »

I find the reflection of the van distracting.

What was it about this scene that attracted you?
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:02:54 am »

I find the reflection of the van distracting.

What was it about this scene that attracted you?

The refection of the van...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:02 am »

Peter, we have more in common than I ever thought.

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:07:33 am »

Peter, we have more in common than I ever thought.

Rob C

Rob, Big SMILE here...

Peter

Otto Phocus

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:07:48 am »

The refection of the van...

Peter

Well that's the quirky thing about art.  What I thought was a distraction, you, the artist, intended it to be the focus.  :)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 10:22:29 am »

Peter,
Full brush exuberant laughter and confirmation! Boosted my health for months for sure...

...and Rob, was surprised you didn't get there first...Vaseline didn't rotate in time can be the only reason.

Love and appreciate the water you both drink...
A common woman~

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:25:36 am »

Peter,
Full brush exuberant laughter and confirmation! Boosted my health for months for sure...

...and Rob, was surprised you didn't get there first...Vaseline didn't rotate in time can be the only reason.

Love and appreciate the water you both drink...

Patricia,
I appreciate your appreciation...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 02:26:06 pm »

Patricia,
I appreciate your appreciation...

Peter

Et moi aussi, Patricia!

How's life these days? Mine moves, stops, turns around and makes sure that I'm still here and paying attention to it. I've come to another of those Damascene on-the-road moments: I have stopped caring about technique pretty much completely - I just go play and hope for the best, and that serendipitous moment when what I'd hoped to find might actually have been there to some degree. Better, I often think I might be seeing something as a possiblity, snap it, and then find that moment of truth later on in the computer's head, a moment where I find not what I'd hoped, but something quite else. That's a pretty huge advance from the pro days, when what I hoped to get had pretty damned well better be there!

You know, it all makes me feel so sad for those still trapped in the impossible search for that technical advance that will give them that one missing link to great pictures. There is no missing link. All that was needed was found decades and decades ago; it's what you do with what you already happen to have, that's the secret. Nothing to do with money, brands, nor anything else so deceitfully tempting. Nothing I do today, for better or for worse, I couldn't have shot with my very first Exakta Varex back in the 50s. Only difference: I can do it on digital and save money that I certainly wouldn't be spending on film!

Anyone not believe me? Just look at Ernst Haas' pictures on film; Saul Leiter's too.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:11:03 am by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 05:48:11 pm »

I'm a bit late to the game here, but I have to say: Congratulations, Peter! If any photo of mine ever generated a discussion like this one, I'd be ecstatic.

Otto's first comment, and your reply, paired together provide a wonderful Zen koan about Art and Photography.

And Rob's last comment beautifully explains why I have always been glad that I am just an Amateur, never a Pro. 

Somebody asked me the other day how many megapixels the camera has that took a particular picture of mine. I'm happy to say I couldn't give a straight answer, because I never cared. I made a wild guess, which somebody else then suggested was not far off. So what?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 04:27:01 am »

I'm a bit late to the game here, but I have to say: Congratulations, Peter! If any photo of mine ever generated a discussion like this one, I'd be ecstatic.

Otto's first comment, and your reply, paired together provide a wonderful Zen koan about Art and Photography.

And Rob's last comment beautifully explains why I have always been glad that I am just an Amateur, never a Pro. 

Somebody asked me the other day how many megapixels the camera has that took a particular picture of mine. I'm happy to say I couldn't give a straight answer, because I never cared. I made a wild guess, which somebody else then suggested was not far off. So what?

Indeed, and truth to tell, the more interesting images (to me, at least) have little or no connection with technical perfection. In fact, I think it was Leiter or it could equally have been William Klein, remarked in passing that they often don't/didn't bother using an exposure meter... Leiter even used out-of-date colour stock because of how it could look, and because it was cheaper!

In the digi world, perhaps it's a bit different when it comes to camera bodies, if only because of the physical limitations of digital vis-à-vis size of enlargement due to unpleasant effects. With film, grain just added an often not unpleasant dimension, something I often do today as a fake effect, just because I like it. Up to A3+ the old D200 works perfectly well; it might go larger, but as some of my b/whites are tight cuts from 135 Kodachrome film (and look fine), that doesn't mean a smaller digital camera will do as well.

But for web and non-printed amusemant, small's perfectly okay - so far!

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 12:42:02 pm »

Ah! Exposure meter! That reminds me of my favorite anecdote about Edward Weston and Ansel Adams, told me by Minor White who went on a photo shoot with them once, probably at Point Lobos.

Weston had a light meter with him, but only because Adams insisted that any good photographer needed to use one.

According to White, Weston would wave the meter around, then scowl at it, and then mutter "It's wrong!" and set the exposure that experience had told him would be best.

So much for the need for the latest technology. ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 11:57:40 am »

You know, it all makes me feel so sad for those still trapped in the impossible search for that technical advance that will give them that one missing link to great pictures. There is no missing link. All that was needed was found decades and decades ago; it's what you do with what you already happen to have, that's the secret. Nothing to do with money, brands, nor anything else so deceitfully tempting. Nothing I do today, for better or for worse, I couldn't have shot with my very first Exakta Varex back in the 50s. Only difference: I can do it on digital and save money that I certainly wouldn't be spending on film!

You know I agree, Rob, but when I go to Nikonians and read the posts from people convinced that more sharpness, higher ISO, or a faster exposure burst will give them what they need to become world-famous photographers, and I then look at what they post, instead of feeling sad I'm rolling on the floor laughing.

I shot some of my very best digital pictures with a three megapixel Casio. The only problem I have with them is that I can't blow them up beyond 8 x 10 without pixelization starting to show up. So I'm happy to have a 36 mpx D800 in my hands. But the D800 doesn't improve my photography.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up