Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica FF Camera rumor  (Read 14205 times)

telyt

Re: New Leica FF Camera rumor
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 05:28:20 pm »

But I didn't ask for that.

Really?

For anyone starting from scratch or able to move painlessly from one system to another, a real but contemporary R would have my vote.

BJL

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:56 pm »

The three lenses to be announced together with Leica SL:

- Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 24-90mm ASPH.
- Leica Apo-Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 90-280mm
- Leica Summilux-SL 1:1.4 / 50mm ASPH.

Source: Digital Camera Info http://digicame-info.com/2015/09/sl3.html
If true, these initial choices sound eminently pragmatic, leaving "all prime purism" to the M system, where it belongs.

I particularly like the ”moderately fast but variable" aperture approach of zooms, like f/2.8-4 or f/2.8-3.5; as far as I can tell, such a lens need be no bulkier or more expensive than a constant f/4, so why not use more of the light that the front element captures when away from the long end?  The traditional prestige of constant minimum f-stop zoom lens designs seems based on now-irrelevant considerations with purely mechanical aperture controls, which caused the f-stop to rise higher than the setting on the lens as one zoomed in with those older variable minimum f-stop designs.

Telecaster

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »

I like the extra length of the 24–90mm compared to the now-standard 24–70mm (or equiv). I often end up cropping long-end pics taken with the latter due to the lack of that extra bit of reach. Must have a ~22° diag FOV burned into my optic nerve.  :)

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 06:16:02 am »

Really?

Yep really. What I am writing there is about those able to move painlessly: i.e. money doesn't matter, you simply trade one marque for the new one of choice.

However, I grant you that your interpretation could be an honest one of what I had written.

Rob C

scooby70

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 03:44:24 pm »

If true, these initial choices sound eminently pragmatic, leaving "all prime purism" to the M system, where it belongs.

Why on Earth should an all prime set be the preserve of the M System?

It just seems a great reason for people to say "I came, I saw zooms and I bought a Sony A7 series camera and three primes instead."

Even my GX7 comes with a nice selection of fast primes.

AlterEgo

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »

initial... were you expecting them to announce more than 3 lenses right away ? they announced one prime, they certainly will release more if the system lives.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 05:55:19 pm »

initial... were you expecting them to announce more than 3 lenses right away ? they announced one prime, they certainly will release more if the system lives.

As something been announced or is it still just a rumor?

Cheers,
Bernard

AlterEgo

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 05:58:26 pm »

As something been announced or is it still just a rumor?
this assumption is as good as assumption that there will be no more primes released in addition to "Leica Summilux-SL 1:1.4 / 50mm ASPH" ... if Leica is not selling something cheap why 'd they not release and sell more Leica AF primes ? unless you assume that Leica SL will be a lot cheaper tha Leica M

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 10:35:29 pm »

this assumption is as good as assumption that there will be no more primes released in addition to "Leica Summilux-SL 1:1.4 / 50mm ASPH" ... if Leica is not selling something cheap why 'd they not release and sell more Leica AF primes ? unless you assume that Leica SL will be a lot cheaper tha Leica M

Sure, I totally agree.

But even without going there, I was questioning the claim that we know for a fact what they will release as initial lenses line up.

Cheers,
Bernard

Telecaster

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 04:04:47 pm »

The whole shebang is vaporware at this point. Let's just wait & see what Leica actually does…or does not.  :)

-Dave-

AlterEgo

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 04:50:52 pm »

JV

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:29 pm »

Some observations and history:
http://overgaard.dk/Leica-Camera-Typ-601.html

BJL

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2015, 11:34:41 pm »

The whole shebang is vaporware at this point. Let's just wait & see what Leica actually does…or does not.  :)
Time for another debate about correct or incorrect use of pejorative terms?! For now, it's just a rumor, which is the opposite of vaporware (as is "a concrete announcement of an imminent product release made when in fact there is no product anywhere close to fully developed").  We all get to give Leica our wisdom about if and how this for now imaginary product line should be developed.

Telecaster

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 03:09:32 pm »

Yes, vaporware is the wrong term.

-Dave-

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 05:41:20 pm »

Yes, vaporware is the wrong term.

-Dave-

Just hot air then.

I think we've sucked this topic dry.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:37:51 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BJL

To which I am tempted to reply "Why on earth should any new camera system be completely devoid of zoom lenses?"  The only good reason I can see for a primes-only system is that it uses a true optical rangefinder viewfinder system; a mechanism that is inherently ill-suited to zoom lenses.  Any system with a "through the lens" viewfinder can handle zoom lenses, and so will benefit from offering at least the dominant type of zoom lens, starting with a "wide to short telephoto" and a matching moderate telephoto.

(Straw-man/misunderstanding alert: I am saying nothing against developing a good array of primes as well as having at least the dominant zoom lens types, as for example with the Fujifilm X system.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:49:36 pm by BJL »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 03:46:46 am »

If this rumour proves to be correct, it will be interesting to see how this new system will fair against Sony A7, which for now is the only FF MILC system. I know that Leica lives in a separate world, but once they step out of the RF system, they will be the subject of comparison against similar systems.

After all, even Leica aficionados will think it over, when deciding between the new system and a Sony. And even the lenses bit will not stick, as one can use Leica M mount, or Zeiss glass, on the A7.

scooby70

To which I am tempted to reply "Why on earth should any new camera system be completely devoid of zoom lenses?"

Zoom lenses are perfectly fine although personally I associate Leica with wide to normal primes and I suspect that some potential buyers would prefer to see a camera launched with a basic prime line up.

I'm sure zooms are lovely but IMO a camera and three fastish primes would be so much sexier. Zoom lenses could come along later.

scooby70

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 04:11:26 am »

I wssn't expecting any number of lenses but I didn't expect a prime and two zooms. Rather boring IMO :D and I suspect that some buyers will be rather disappointed. I may be wrong but it's a personal view and my view is... yawn.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 05:27:13 pm »

Off on a tangent…

"I recently I sold a collectible titanium Leica for $32,000 to a young student who came in, ordered, went outside, rang his dad, and came back on the Friday carrying a McDonald's paper bag full of notes.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/small-business/entrepreneur/the-last-camera-store-standing-20150929-gjxo0c.html#ixzz3npElYYAH
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Cheers,
Tom Brown
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up