Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica FF Camera rumor  (Read 14203 times)

BJL

Zoom lenses are perfectly fine although personally I associate Leica with wide to normal primes and I suspect that some potential buyers would prefer to see a camera launched with a basic prime line up.

I'm sure zooms are lovely but IMO a camera and three fastish primes would be so much sexier. Zoom lenses could come along later.
Fair enough: boring to you, and I also think that adding one or two more primes ASAP would be nice – and even Leica's previous SLR systems (R and then S) started with mostly or entirely prime lenses and then added a few zooms later.

But the rumor fits with Leica is trying to be relevant to the current market for a high quality yet mobile camera system, rather than either the marketplace of years past, or targeting primarily the old guard of long-time Leica users whose priorities and tastes reflect Leica's previous products.  For a lot of us, the original core Leica value of highly portable agile system is still very relevant, and now that zoom lenses can be very good, they can help a lot with that.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: New Leica FF Camera rumor
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 05:19:17 pm »

I was quite puzzled when I heard that the Q would have a 28mm lens. For me Leica was 90%  a camera made for the 35mm lens. If the rumors are right not issueing the new camera with a good 36 cron or lux lens feels wrong
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 12:14:55 am »

I was quite puzzled when I heard that the Q would have a 28mm lens. For me Leica was 90%  a camera made for the 35mm lens. If the rumors are right not issueing the new camera with a good 36 cron or lux lens feels wrong

They're now talking of $10K with one lens.

E
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 09:28:43 am »

They're now talking of $10K with one lens.

E

The word for Europe is Euro 12,000 with the 24-90 lens... I think that even for Leica, this is overpriced... for much less one can get the Sony A7xx with a 35 f1.4, 55 f1.8, or Batis, all nice Zeiss glass... after all, it will be a FF MILC with EVF and some lenses, right?

Perhaps it is of similar ilk as the T, polished from a single block of unobtainium:)

telyt

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 10:24:55 am »

The word for Europe is Euro 12,000 with the 24-90 lens... I think that even for Leica, this is overpriced... for much less one can get the Sony A7xx with a 35 f1.4, 55 f1.8, or Batis, all nice Zeiss glass... after all, it will be a FF MILC with EVF and some lenses, right?

Perhaps it is of similar ilk as the T, polished from a single block of unobtainium:)

I have found that the DMR's files can handle a lot more abuse than the a7II's files.  I'd like to see how robust the SL's files are before making any judgement about the camera's value.

JV

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 06:48:59 pm »

All rumors up till now obviously... but personally for the body and the 24-90mm zoom lens I wouldn't expect anything cheaper than $8-10K...

I don't believe Leica is going to release a body that is cheaper than the M (which is $7K) and the Leica T 18-56 zoom lens (27-84 eq) is already $1,750 (without current US savings)...

Releasing only the 24-90 initially (as some rumors say) would IMO not be a good idea...  you need at least one fast and very good prime...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:22:44 pm by JV »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 04:12:35 am »

I have found that the DMR's files can handle a lot more abuse than the a7II's files.  I'd like to see how robust the SL's files are before making any judgement about the camera's value.

Arguably Sony has hit a sweet spot with the new A7RMKII, and the glass (Sony G, Sony Zeiss, or Zeiss) is top quality too. In the past, one could argue that Leica RF were overpriced, but there were no viable options really. Now, with the Leica T, and the new FF SL, there are very viable alternatives.

Honestly, I see very few people shelling out Euro 12,000 for a kit of camera plus zoom lens, when you can have for all intents the same IQ with Sony A7 system.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 12:01:44 pm »

Honestly, I see very few people shelling out Euro 12,000 for a kit of camera plus zoom lens, when you can have for all intents the same IQ with Sony A7 system.

I am a bit curious to see what it will do better than a 5Ds/D810 and 24-70mm f2.8 VR costing 1/3 the price... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 01:28:19 pm »

I am a bit curious to see what it will do better than a 5Ds/D810 and 24-70mm f2.8 VR costing 1/3 the price... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Maybe the Leica + zoom are 1/3 lighter than the Nikon + zoom thus justifying the higher price!

JV

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

Even so within Leica, IQ-wise the Leica T with the Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH lens (27-84mm eq) is not a bad combination...

It also remains to be seen how good the high ISO truly is and whether it is really better than the competition...

I bought a Sony A7s last year but sold it, held on to the lenses till it was announced that the A7sII was 12 MP again.  If Leica can couple best high ISO with 24MP they might have a win...

It remains to be seen if the new offering from Leica is unique or superior in quality to the competition. If it's not then the rumoured pricing would be very difficult to justify.

Time will tell.

+1.

JV

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 08:33:44 pm »

The prices seem to get confirmed.  From La Vida Leica!:

We have word that some Leica store managers will be flown to Germany ahead of the official launch in nine weeks (mid-December). Pricing will be kept "as close to the Leica M (Type 240) as possible" on the body, which is currently just shy of $6,400 USD - making the lenses around $3-4K USD each. Our earlier report of $10,000 USD (with the 24-90mm zoom) appears to be on-target. We're also told that Panasonic had a significant contribution in implementing the electronics of the camera.

Pretty much what I personally expected...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up