Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica FF Camera rumor  (Read 14212 times)

JV

New Leica FF Camera rumor
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:13:52 pm »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: New Leica FF Camera rumor
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:29:49 pm »

Maybe Leica's ties with Panasonic are kicking in. I've got a Lumix GX7 with two Lumix-Leica lenses. I'm having fun for a fraction of the cost. I'm only posting online these days so a Leica would be a waste of money, however it is good to see them getting into the 21st Century.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:34:05 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:58:54 am »

Makes sense. After all, the Leica Q is already FF, albeit with a fixed lens. But it is AF and has IS, so they have bridged that gap already.

JV

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:51:42 pm »

An ILC version of the Leica Q, even with one killer lens, would be immensely popular IMO...

But to a large extent it would also cut into M sales, not sure whether Leica is ready to do that just yet...

Also curious whether they will use the T-mount...

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:13 pm »

Below are rumored specifications of Leica SL (Typ 601):

Full Frame Sensor
Auto Focus in Camera
New AF lens Lineup
High ISO performance, probably the best in the industry , better than Sony a7S ?
To be released before Christmas 2015

It would be remarkable if they can do that- i do not think so...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

scooby70

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:35:01 pm »

Below are rumored specifications of Leica SL (Typ 601):

Full Frame Sensor
Auto Focus in Camera
New AF lens Lineup
High ISO performance, probably the best in the industry , better than Sony a7S ?
To be released before Christmas 2015

It would be remarkable if they can do that- i do not think so...

Maybe they could manage best in industry if they use the A7S chip and make a better job of it than Sony? That might not be impossible as people say that Nikon do better with Sony chips than Sony themselves. If Sony would sell Leica the chip.

AlbertK

telyt

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 12:43:54 pm »

The three lenses to be announced together with Leica SL:

- Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 24-90mm ASPH.
- Leica Apo-Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 90-280mm
- Leica Summilux-SL 1:1.4 / 50mm ASPH.

Source: Digital Camera Info http://digicame-info.com/2015/09/sl3.html

scooby70

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 06:54:08 pm »

I'm surprised by the lens choices, I'd have thought they'd go for a set of three wide aperture primes.

JV

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »

The three lenses to be announced together with Leica SL:

- Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 24-90mm ASPH.
- Leica Apo-Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 90-280mm
- Leica Summilux-SL 1:1.4 / 50mm ASPH.

Source: Digital Camera Info http://digicame-info.com/2015/09/sl3.html

Thanks for posting this.  The zoom lenses overlap almost completely with the Leica T, only they are FF and faster...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 08:21:56 pm »

I'm surprised by the lens choices, I'd have thought they'd go for a set of three wide aperture primes.

I guess that if you want primes, there is the S system?

My bet would be that they are targeting, among other users, the wedding pro segment here and the convenience of zooms is hard to beat.

I will be interesting to see how well it performs compared to a D750 with the new 24-70mm f2.8 VR.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:47:01 pm by BernardLanguillier »

JV

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »

I guess that if want primes, there is the S system?

My bet would be that they are targeting, among other users, the wedding pro segment here and the convenience of zooms is hard to beat.

I will be interesting to see how well it performs compared to a D750 with the new 24-70mm f2.8 VR.

Cheers,
Bernard

Plus the desire to not overlap too much with the M just yet...

Now existing Leica M users are encouraged to buy another body and a few zoom lenses to be more versatile and with the use of the proper adapters I am sure that they will also be able to continue to use their M lenses...

One wonders though why they did not just make an ILC version of the Leica Q...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 10:47:58 pm »

Isn't it exactly what it is?

Cheers,
Bernard

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:52:46 pm »

"Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 24-90mm ASPH.
Leica Apo-Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8-4 / 90-280mm"

I'm thinking image stabilisation, where is it?

Leica is in close collaboration with Panasonic, a 90-280mm without stabilisation at Leica prices, it does't make sense.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 07:31:39 am »

Must be more than a rumor - several photographers who ought to know have been dropping major hints without letting the cat out of the bag.
As to IS, It could be incorporated in the body.

scooby70

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 08:27:51 am »

Plus the desire to not overlap too much with the M just yet...

Now existing Leica M users are encouraged to buy another body and a few zoom lenses to be more versatile and with the use of the proper adapters I am sure that they will also be able to continue to use their M lenses...

Ah, yes, seems likely.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 08:56:33 am »

I see little threat to the M series/system if the reports are true. (Would this be vapour-ware?) Why not? I think they appeal to two different mindsets.

If the reports are true, I think that Leica has made a mistake. What's missing is a real standard FF R system, not a contemporary botch-up. There are plenty of people around whose minds are conditioned to work very well within the 135 format, whose understanding of lens/effect and ability to see DOF at different apertures (yes, you can, regardless of the naysayers who claim it impossible; they just don't do it enough to acquire the feel) is totally instinctive due to years of familiarity. Once, not long after I had my first heart attack, I got into a conversation with my wife about her options should I die. When asked if she'd care to remarry, with my full blessing, should she want to, she looked at me in disbelief. She told me she felt horror at the thought of having to adapt to another person sharing her intimate life. I see the clear parallel with photography and familiarity with systems.

I never bought into the Leica system when I could afford it (working), and because I wanted to do so. Why? The M system didn't include enough frame accuracy for my requirements (and neither any indication of DOF, vital to me) and the R system didn't show full field coverage either: not full-frame view in the prism. This may sound trivial to some, but when your work incorporated using the entire 135 format and expecting to blow up to 40" x 60" displays for fashion stands and, more demanding yet, large calendars in colour, the latter viewed quite close up, filling the space Barnack gave you meant a lot.

For anyone starting from scratch or able to move painlessly from one system to another, a real but contemporary R would have my vote.

Rob C

telyt

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 09:44:11 am »

For anyone starting from scratch or able to move painlessly from one system to another, a real but contemporary R would have my vote.

I fail to understand how this would be preferable to a full-frame mirrorless camera that can use lenses from multiple systems.  Having a long mount register, the R system is among the least adaptable to other lenses.  If you want painless migration to another system you want to be able to use your existing lenses.  R isn't it.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:52 am »

I am sure you will be able to use the M lenses with an adapter. Plenty of choice in FF. :)

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 01:04:48 pm »

I fail to understand how this would be preferable to a full-frame mirrorless camera that can use lenses from multiple systems.  Having a long mount register, the R system is among the least adaptable to other lenses.  If you want painless migration to another system you want to be able to use your existing lenses.  R isn't it.

But I didn't ask for that.

And if I was buying into a new R system, why would I want other types of lenses? I didn't buy anything but Nikkors ever since the F came into my life; were I into Leica R, imaginary new or established old, I'd be of the same faithful disposition.

As I wrote, I never personally owned Leica of any type, but as an assistant at one stage, I did print from one or the other of the 21mm lenses in black/white, and there was a quality there that I never got from anything else. It was not imaginary. In fact, perhaps a bit naughty, but I kept a print from that M3/21mm combo in my portfolio as an example of my printing ability. Many decry the difference between Leica optics and others; having printed from some of them I know the differences are real. I have had them happen to me, with no horse to back in any personal race. Just was. I also, years later, had a client request Cibas from another photographer's Leica shoot. The colour, in this instance, was wonderful too.

There's a funny story related to this concerning Stan Malinowski: he used all sorts of cameras trying to catch the colours on Kodachrome that he saw in the work of Francis Giacobetti. He assumed that they were Leitz optics and so he bought. Then, working for an art director who knew both photographers, he was told that no, Giacobetti used Zeiss... however, I think that was either a diplomatic fib or that the latter changed equipment, for a while later I saw his work in French PHOTO and he was using Leica 180mm...

The story comes from my memory of Stan's website, which I can no longer open despite finding several links to it in Google. He used to use it under the name modelpix, which still appears under his actual name in Google. Wonders of the new world.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:41:57 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up