Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Interface Theory of Perception  (Read 15306 times)

landscapephoto

BJL

Re: The Interface Theory of Perception
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2015, 11:11:36 am »

This is the absorption spectrum of chlorophyll, the pigment responsible of the green colour of plants:
Our eyes have not evolved to allow us to recognise the functioning of chlorophyll in plants, because our ancestor did not need to do that. They have evolved to allow us to see the differences between leaves and berries (which a lot of animals cannot), because that was useful to our ancestors.
Maybe this is related to the surprising appearance of leaves and such in infrared photography, which can create huge tonal differences that our not-so-literally-accurate vision system completely lacks.

On "a lot of animals cannot", I believe that many or all carnivorous mammals are color-blind, which fits with that who cares about berries and leaves? evolutionary scenario.

Rob C

Re: The Interface Theory of Perception
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2015, 11:24:22 am »

Maybe this is related to the surprising appearance of leaves and such in infrared photography, which can create huge tonal differences that our not-so-literally-accurate vision system completely lacks.

On "a lot of animals cannot", I believe that many or all carnivorous mammals are color-blind, which fits with that who cares about berries and leaves? evolutionary scenario.

I wonder about that; they make very good use of camouflage and I doubt that it's just a product of their own natural colouring - I think they may be using natural cover intelligently, and that would require a sense of colour too, I think. Otherwise, they might make excellent b/white photographers!

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up