Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy (I hope) Photoshop CC issue  (Read 3126 times)

Dward

Easy (I hope) Photoshop CC issue
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:45:00 pm »

I assume I've made a silly error, but my problem is that I've lost the bottom of the Photoshop window on my display--the part showing document size, dimensions, etc.    I have the current MacPro and an NEC display.    This issue is new, and I can't figure out how to get the entire Photoshop window to be visible again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.   I've tried changing the workspace, restarting, etc.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David Ward Fine Art Photography

SZRitter

Re: Easy (I hope) Photoshop CC issue
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 04:19:28 pm »

Are you in fullscreen mode? Mine disappear when I go to fullscreen with menus.

P.S. hit F to cycle screen modes.

Dward

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:33:50 am »

Thanks for the reply.    It makes no difference whether I'm in full screen mode or not---toggling back and forth doesn't reveal the bottom of the window.    I moved my dock to the right side to see if the info was hidden beneath it, but it's not.   I must be missing some simple setting somewhere.

thanks again,
David Ward

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »

Thanks for the reply.    It makes no difference whether I'm in full screen mode or not---toggling back and forth doesn't reveal the bottom of the window.    I moved my dock to the right side to see if the info was hidden beneath it, but it's not.   I must be missing some simple setting somewhere.

thanks again,
David Ward

Have you gone to "Settings" - "Displays" ? - it seems like it my need some adjustment for the over/under scanning on the monitor.
Regards,
Ron

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:36 am »

thanks again,
David Ward

I’m going think aloud (as it were).  The information at the bottom of the window only appears if a file is open.  You can make it disappear by pressing the F key once, and the tool bar and palettes remain.  Pressing the F key again removes everything but the image; and a third time restores the window, palettes and tool bar (along with the information).  The information is displayed for a file whether the window is free floating or tabbed.  I doubt whether it is a monitor related problem as you say you can see the Dock OK.

I don’t know whether any of this might help you to discover the cause of the problem … ?

Dward

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 08:06:16 am »

Ron and Simon,

Thanks for your suggestions--but to no avail.  Additional info--I opened my copy of Photoshop CS4 and it's fine---I can see the bottom of the Photoshop window, including the document size, etc.   And I can grab the lower right corner of the window and make the window smaller or larger.  And I can move the window up and down, just as usual.  But with the CC version, though I can switch from full screen to standard, I never see the bottom of the window, and I can't make the window smaller so that I could perhaps see the bottom.   

I checked the monitor settings, which are fine (confirmed by the normal operation of CS4).   

Thanks again for your help--and any additional ideas are very welcome!

David V. Ward

Dward

Re: Easy (I hope) Photoshop CC issue SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 08:14:25 am »

Many thanks to all who helped with what turned out to be a simple issue I was unable to figure out:     Under "Windows" I went to "Application Frame" and that solved the problem.

David V. Ward

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 10:17:21 am »

I'm glad you got it sorted. I must admit that the phrase "application frame" is NOTt something that popped into my mind when reading of your predicament.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:57:35 pm »

Many thanks to all who helped with what turned out to be a simple issue I was unable to figure out:     Under "Windows" I went to "Application Frame" and that solved the problem.

David V. Ward
I don't wish to disappoint but I found that for me the file/window information is available either in ‘application frame’ or ‘traditional’ view mode.  Or did just toggling this on and of solve your problem ?

Dward

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:25 am »

Hi Simon,

It was only when I checked "application frame" that I was able to reach and see the bottom of the Photoshop window.   Toggling between screen views didn't reveal the bottom of the window.

David V. Ward

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 08:59:55 am »

David V. Ward

Very interesting.  As I read your initial post I was thinking about the "Application Frame", and as I read further I found that you had discovered it as well.  I have a severe dislike for any app that takes over all of my screen area with no room left for the desktop without jumping through hoops to get there.  Needless to say, PS CS6 was no exception to my objection to such behavior.  However, for the first few weeks I had to put up with it until one day I was determined to find a fix for this nonsense.  I looked into every menu and finally under window I saw that "Application Frame" was checked.  Of course at that point I had no idea what that meant, but I was certainly prepared to uncheck it, and voila, the App Frame disappeared.  Exactly what I wanted and I've recaptured my desktop once again.  I make a point of using a mid grey desktop always, with a very slight impression of my business logo in the middle.  Clean and mean works for me.  It's not at all uncommon for me to have several image files open at once, for various reasons, so I also turn off opening in tabs.  Just one more item that I have no use for at all.  I can once again open as many images as required, overlapping them when necessary, and not one of them will interfere with or be swallowed by by another file.  I find this to be a very efficient workflow for my business and I will never stray form it.  Just my opinion, rant, or whatever you want to call it. 

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 09:33:10 am »

I'm glad you got it sorted. I must admit that the phrase "application frame" is NOTt something that popped into my mind when reading of your predicament.
Are you a PC user? "Application frame' was a way of making PS work more like it does on PCs as opposed to seeing the annoyingly distracting desktop or other apps that tended to be visible behind Mac document/files open in their programmes. You could easily end up clicking onto desktop or different app behind the one you were using by mistake because of this messy interface paradigm.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:47:44 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 09:45:53 am »

Very interesting.  As I read your initial post I was thinking about the "Application Frame", and as I read further I found that you had discovered it as well.  I have a severe dislike for any app that takes over all of my screen area with no room left for the desktop without jumping through hoops to get there.  Needless to say, PS CS6 was no exception to my objection to such behavior.  However, for the first few weeks I had to put up with it until one day I was determined to find a fix for this nonsense.  I looked into every menu and finally under window I saw that "Application Frame" was checked.  Of course at that point I had no idea what that meant, but I was certainly prepared to uncheck it, and voila, the App Frame disappeared.  Exactly what I wanted and I've recaptured my desktop once again.  I make a point of using a mid grey desktop always, with a very slight impression of my business logo in the middle.  Clean and mean works for me.  It's not at all uncommon for me to have several image files open at once, for various reasons, so I also turn off opening in tabs.  Just one more item that I have no use for at all.  I can once again open as many images as required, overlapping them when necessary, and not one of them will interfere with or be swallowed by by another file.  I find this to be a very efficient workflow for my business and I will never stray form it.  Just my opinion, rant, or whatever you want to call it. 
And yet I always found that a messy and clunky way to work. This is what I do...
If I want to see a desktop on Mac or PC, it's merely a click/keyboard shortcut away.
If I want to see multiple image files open in PS, I can tile them in various ways. But when I'm working on an image, why do I need to see other image files hiding behind it? If I need to move layers from one to another I can do that even if tabbed.

Accidentally clicking on the desktop/background apps because your programme does not fill entire screen or has holes in it's UI and thus you end up leaving your application is simply an irritation to me. One of the poorest aspects of the OSX UI when I first used it. Thankfully all the software I use now has given up on that messy way of working.
Watching people people who have overlapping windows and files on the screen that they are continually mousing around to access, simply illustrates how much faster and more efficient using everything full screen and knowing your keyboard shortcuts is.

Garnick

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 11:07:03 am »

And yet I always found that a messy and clunky way to work. This is what I do...
If I want to see a desktop on Mac or PC, it's merely a click/keyboard shortcut away.
If I want to see multiple image files open in PS, I can tile them in various ways. But when I'm working on an image, why do I need to see other image files hiding behind it? If I need to move layers from one to another I can do that even if tabbed.

Accidentally clicking on the desktop/background apps because your programme does not fill entire screen or has holes in it's UI and thus you end up leaving your application is simply an irritation to me. One of the poorest aspects of the OSX UI when I first used it. Thankfully all the software I use now has given up on that messy way of working.
Watching people people who have overlapping windows and files on the screen that they are continually mousing around to access, simply illustrates how much faster and more efficient using everything full screen and knowing your keyboard shortcuts is.

There you go, to each his own.  I have other people in the building using the same apps on PC and there desktops are so cluttered that I would agree with your assessment of my workflow if I were working in that sort of situation. However, as I pointed out, my desktop has perhaps 10 small icons over to the right side with lots of room for PS and any other app I happen to be using.  I find the App Frame to be very clumsy and laborious.  Hence, my workflow as described.  I wonder how one would open two images side by side for soft proofing within the App Frame.  I suppose it might be possible, but definitely more time consuming than without the frame.  Again, my opinion only.  And by the way, I never "click on the desktop" unless I have a reason to do so.  One of the most endearing aspects of the OSX UI is its simplicity and intuitive nature.  Not nearly as clunky as the PC.  And of course I must mention once again that this is strictly a matter of opinion, as is your post.  Isn't LuLa wonderful?

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

jjj

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »

I wonder how one would open two images side by side for soft proofing within the App Frame. I suppose it might be possible, but definitely more time consuming than without the frame.   Again, my opinion only.
I said how in previous post. You tile them. Window>Arrange>Tile is the menu navigation or assign a keyboard shortcut for whichever variations of tiling you want. Much faster/easier than dragging windows around. Not an opinion, sometimes some methods are simply easier.
You can also drag tabs out as needed and having them floating around exactly as if application frame is missing without seeing clutter/other programmes behind PS. So using app frame has zero disadvantage. All this stuff has been there for a very long time now.

And by the way, I never "click on the desktop" unless I have a reason to do so.
Must be nice to never make a mistake and accidentally click outside of floating images, very easy with trackpad or graphics tablet.   ;)

One of the most endearing aspects of the OSX UI is its simplicity and intuitive nature.  Not nearly as clunky as the PC.  And of course I must mention once again that this is strictly a matter of opinion, as is your post.  Isn't LuLa wonderful?
When people say x is more intuitive than y, what they almost always mean is they use x and are unfamiliar with or haven't learnt to use y properly. Both OSX and Windows are very good in places and dumbfoundingly stupid in others. Between the two of them you have one awesome bit of software.
Software being 'intuitive' to use is also not necessarily a good start point for design. You design it to be the most functional which makes it easier, even if that means using new paradigms which people then claim is not intuitive as they have to invest some time in learning a new way of working. In reality it's simply different from their previous software. Some people got freaked out by Lightroom as it was so different from what came before, but because Adobe started afresh with a completely new paradigm , they developed a piece of software far more suited to modern photography needs and slotted in where PS was starting to struggle.
My problem with Apple software is that all too often it is simplistic and not simple. This is so Apple can claim it to be easy to use, except in the process it becomes far harder to use. It's easy to claim something that does very little is easier to use that something incredibly powerful and versatile is simply because there are so few options. It's like Henry Ford making choosing your car colour very easy, as there was only one colour. Not having an 'add to playlist button' in iOS in the music app was a classic example of Apple's button avoidance made for a dreadfully difficult workflow for something quite simple. Thankfully very recently fixed. That omission and not being able to queue tracks in Music/iTunes  were things that should be in V1 of such music software not a decade or so later.

If you think using OSX is intuitive try the last couple of iterations on dual monitors with full screen or full desktop and swap between various open programmes and windows using the keyboard. Ridiculously difficult to do. You basically have two options for how it works, broken and useless. I'm stuck on 10.8.5 because of this mess. Windows handled multiple monitors far better last century.

See if you can follow how to swap windows/apps....

****To summarize the set of keyboard shortcuts -
If I have two windows from different apps I can switch with ⌘-tab.
If I have two windows from the same app I can switch with ⌘-`.
If I have two full-screen windows from the same app then ⌘-` doesn’t work but I can switch with ⌃-←→ (or ⌘-←→, I chose ⌃-←→ to avoid conflict with browser back/forward shortcuts).
If I have two full-screen windows from the same app on different monitors then ⌃-←→ doesn’t work but ⌘-` does.
If I have two full-screen windows from the same app on different monitors and the target window is currently not in front then ⌘-` and ⌃-←→ both fail to work. I have to ⌘-tab to another app that is on the target monitor, then ⌃-←→ to the target window. Correction: ⌃-←→ scrolls through spaces on the original monitor, not the target monitor, so there's actually no way to do this that I know of.
Aside: if I enable the keyboard shortcuts for “switch to desktop 1” and “switch to desktop 2” and use two monitors the shortcuts won’t work if the specified desktop is not assigned to the current monitor.****

Also worth noting is that if you choose to use software full screen it vanishes into a different space, so when you alt tab it now appears missing. There is an option that stops this, however if you do that any software you use across full desktop/both monitors can't be used that way.
Now imagine using three or more screen which is common in video editing. But then Apple seem to have virtually given up on the pro graphics market that kept them afloat for many years. They are a phone company now.

r010159

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 08:33:33 pm »

My problem with Apple software is that all too often it is simplistic and not simple. This is so Apple can claim it to be easy to use, except in the process it becomes far harder to use. It's easy to claim something that does very little is easier to use that something incredibly powerful and versatile is simply because there are so few options. It's like Henry Ford making choosing your car colour very easy, as there was only one colour. Not having an 'add to playlist button' in iOS in the music app was a classic example of Apple's button avoidance made for a dreadfully difficult workflow for something quite simple. Thankfully very recently fixed. That omission and not being able to queue tracks in Music/iTunes  were things that should be in V1 of such music software not a decade or so later.

I find that, like you said, Apple tries to keep the UI simple, and they usually have more than one way to accomplish the same thing. However, when the necessary functionality becomes complex, instead of making the UI more complex, they hide functionality. Usually when I am trying to look for a comparatively more advanced function that should be there, it usually hidden within some innocuous feature of the UI. Sometimes this drives me crazy. This is when it becomes no longer intuitive, but the UI still looks nice! LOL

IMHO Apple used to develop very intuitive products. However, as the product matured, and users bacame more demanding, I think the priority of keeping the interface, apparently speaking, simple and intuitive, became less of a priority. So, depending on the application, some I do prefer to be on Windows.  Actually, I have run across apps that are easier to use on Windows. I do have BOOTCAMP, so this is not a problem for me. Even though I prefer Mac OS, I still can go either way.

FWIW

Bob
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:38:12 pm by r010159 »

jjj

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 08:36:03 am »

I find that, like you said, Apple tries to keep the UI simple, and they usually have more than one way to accomplish the same thing. However, when the necessary functionality becomes complex, instead of making the UI more complex, they hide functionality. Usually when I am trying to look for a comparatively more advanced function that should be there, it usually hidden within some innocuous feature of the UI. Sometimes this drives me crazy. This is when it becomes no longer intuitive, but the UI still looks nice! LOL
Apple tend to do simplistic, not simple. Hiding or not having basic functionality so that a UI can appear to be easy to use is faking it. Real simplicity is being able to do complex stuff with no effort.
I replace Apple software as much as I can, because it's often so difficult to do basic things at times.

Pages: [1]   Go Up