Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mount Moran  (Read 1628 times)

polaris-14

• Portfolio
Mount Moran
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:16:44 pm »

I posted about going to the Tetons about a month ago and I did go last week. Probably have missed the peak color but there were a lot of turnings in the park especially near the Oxbow Bend area. I am sure those of you that go visit this week would have had a much better experience.

Here is my take on Mount Moran. Strangely, I love the sight of Mt Moran more than the Tetons and this shot is probably my favorite from this trip. Like always, feedback would be much appreciated!

Edit:
the_marshall_101 made a very good point and I wholeheartedly accept his suggestion. Here is a slight modification that incorporated his recommendation. Thanks the_marshall_101! :D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:27:25 am by polaris-14 »
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

the_marshall_101

Re: Mount Moran
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:07:03 pm »

It's nice. No particular comments but I'd be tempted to try some slight vignetting to stop your eyes getting drawn off to the side of the frame by the big bright cloud.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:53:30 am »

Nice one. By any chance you have a wider/landscape format shot? I want to see more of that cloud.

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:56:27 pm »

@the_marshall_101:

You are on point, Sir. Thank you so much for your suggestion!

@Paulo Bizarro:

Yes, there is a landscape photo of the scene. Here is the photo. I don't like it as much, but it's such a pretty sight as well.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:46:03 pm by polaris-14 »
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 10:24:29 am »

First rate, as usual.

I'd appreciate seeing adjusted versions following the originals so we can learn about the improvements.

Richard Pearlman

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 11:27:02 am »

I prefer the portrait orientation.

the_marshall_101

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 05:19:13 pm »

@the_marshall_101:

You are on point, Sir. Thank you so much for your suggestion!

@Paulo Bizarro:

Yes, there is a landscape photo of the scene. Here is the photo. I don't like it as much, but it's such a pretty sight as well.

No worries!  Just seen this thread again and taken another look. Is it me or has the cloud got a bit more yellow-ey now too?

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 05:48:49 pm »

No worries!  Just seen this thread again and taken another look. Is it me or has the cloud got a bit more yellow-ey now too?

I darkened the top a little bit to create the vignette on the mountain and the yellow color pops out of the cloud.
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 06:11:49 pm »

Very nice.  I really like the "uplifting" cloud.

dreed

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 06:18:51 pm »

For me there's too much cloud in the landscape orientation...

So the question is, how much of that cloud is needed?

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 07:11:31 pm »

I think the portrait version is good as subject goes...the processing is another story...seems crushed at bottom and just tonally not quite there.The image though really is more about the sky/cloud and some landscape... than Mt Moran no?...for one thing the cloud having such a wonderful/powerful shape...and two it dominates most of the frame. I would have definitely gone after this shot but would have included more of the yellowish ground and some more on either side of the cloud shape...so it has room "to breathe" a little if you will. The edge of the frame is really too tight around your subjects. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 07:48:56 pm »

It's true that this picture is probably more about the cloud/atmospheric activity than about Mt Moran itself. But what I had in mind when shooting this was context. I think Mt Moran gives the cloud a sense of place. I agree with Brandt, however, that I could probably shoot this at a wider focal length to include more of the gold colored grass and a little more cloud.

Good suggestions! Thanks so much! :)

I think the portrait version is good as subject goes...the processing is another story...seems crushed at bottom and just tonally not quite there.The image though really is more about the sky/cloud and some landscape... than Mt Moran no?...for one thing the cloud having such a wonderful/powerful shape...and two it dominates most of the frame. I would have definitely gone after this shot but would have included more of the yellowish ground and some more on either side of the cloud shape...so it has room "to breathe" a little if you will. The edge of the frame is really too tight around your subjects. /B
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up