Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D2 Video color question  (Read 701 times)

kevs

Canon 5D2 Video color question
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:15:06 pm »

Question: if one is using tungsten, Smith Victor lights, what is the best way to solve the super yellow look, short of putting gels in front of the lights? Is there an easy method to get a neutral look in camera?
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Canon 5D2 Video color question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:54:06 am »

Set your white balance to 3200 kelvin for a neutral color or warmer or cooler to taste. Also set your camera to sRGB and lower the contrast, saturation and sharpening in Picture Styles.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:22 pm »

Thanks P, picture styles, what is where I have Faithful usually set, do you have a favorite for Tungsteen there,  and do you find doing this, gets a good neutral, as good as gelling lights or using daylight lights?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 03:01:41 am »

Picture Styles have nothing to do with the color temperature of the light or the Kelvin setting in the camera for color temperature. Picture Styles define the overall contrast, saturation and color/tint, where that last adjustment is more like adjusting your television set. You still have to set the color temperature in Kelvin to match the light you're using. This is where you would take the camera OFF of Auto White Balance (AWB) and set it manually. Typically, shooting video in today's dslr's (even your older one) is like shooting in camera jpegs, which is why you have to use all the controls built in to the camera to get your footage as close as possible while you're shooting and do as little as possible in your video editing software.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:48:36 pm »

Thanks P, well even with jpges, I usually use a set 5200ยบ for strobes, so now I'll change that to 3200 for tungsten. thanks. Any good light recommendations? I sold my Lowell kit awhile back thinking I would never do video... The SV are a bit silly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up