Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: macbook pro 2012 vs actual Acer nitro v15 or similar for photo editing  (Read 2756 times)

orc73

Hello

I use a 15" macbook pro 2012 with 16gb RAM, 512SSD, intel 4 core i7 with 6mb cache, geforce gt 650m with 1MB and it's a bit slow for capture one and some PS filters.How does a good 2015 windows laptop compare for those programs? Is it worth to invest?

best regards

AlterEgo

Re: macbook pro 2012 vs actual Acer nitro v15 or similar for photo editing
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:59:02 pm »

Hello

I use a 15" macbook pro 2012 with 16gb RAM, 512SSD, intel 4 core i7 with 6mb cache, geforce gt 650m with 1MB and it's a bit slow for capture one and some PS filters.How does a good 2015 windows laptop compare for those programs? Is it worth to invest?

best regards

do you want a slick notebook or something that can be a desktop class ? C1 is actively using GPUs and macbooks, pro or not, are simply not in league... you can buy a PC/Win notebook with dual Nvidia GTX980M-class GPU for example, you can't get that in apple notebooks, but they indeed look beautiful... that's it.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:02:08 pm »

In my opinion if you want to do photo editing you need a desktop and a big screen. Wasting your time on any laptop. They are not made for that and neither are your eyes. I have 51" of screens for that purpose.

I am still using a 2010 Mac Book Pro with 4G ram for capture with Phocus of a Hasselblad H3. For me it is reliable, bullet proof and I can sit on it. Will probably add some RAM as now a bit slow.
Not a fan of Acer at all. Budget quality from past experience. I just upgraded it to the newish Yosemite operating system and had no issues at all. Windows? , well it's windows. Nobody goes back. You are lucky to get 3 years out of one.

Not that you really could use Windows if you ever want to do MF anyway.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 02:57:08 am »

In my opinion if you want to do photo editing you need a desktop and a big screen. Wasting your time on any laptop. They are not made for that and neither are your eyes. I have 51" of screens for that purpose.

I am still using a 2010 Mac Book Pro with 4G ram for capture with Phocus of a Hasselblad H3. For me it is reliable, bullet proof and I can sit on it. Will probably add some RAM as now a bit slow.
Not a fan of Acer at all. Budget quality from past experience. I just upgraded it to the newish Yosemite operating system and had no issues at all. Windows? , well it's windows. Nobody goes back. You are lucky to get 3 years out of one.

Not that you really could use Windows if you ever want to do MF anyway.

I use a MacBook Pro mid 2015 2,8Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and it works well for me using Lightroom for editing my pictures from Canon 5Ds R and Nikon D810. In my office I have a Dell 32" 4K screen and keyboard and mouse and connected to the MBP it works like a nice editing setup. The machine is very fast and I'm not missing horsepower. The only a bit annoying thing is that Lightroom does make the fan go more often now than before LR6. I hope this will be optimized. It seems that heavy use of the GPU makes the fan go immediately. In normal use the machine is completely quiet.

Having a desktop would for me at least be marginal in efficiency in editing. I travel a lot so I like to be able to disconnect by MBP and have everything with me without having to synch between machines.

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:06 am »

I use a MacBook Pro mid 2015 2,8Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and it works well for me using Lightroom for editing my pictures from Canon 5Ds R and Nikon D810.

original posters uses C1 - a different league GPU-wise so far (C1 just uses that a lot more than LR)

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:54:07 am »

In my opinion if you want to do photo editing you need a desktop and a big screen. Wasting your time on any laptop. They are not made for that and neither are your eyes.

true, but you miss for a example the following situation - for example I have more than one workplace - each equipped with standalone display, etc... but I haul the computer between them and slick macbook is simply underpowered to be used... a regular computer is too big to haul, but a big & heavy PC notebook is fine... I am not using its LCD, touchpad or keyboard... in face I'd prefer to haul a mini-PC small box, but they don't make it powerful enough (yet = not in PC not in Mac world) - so I have to live with notebook.

orc73

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 11:41:48 am »

Thanks for your reply!
I also travel a lot, and I don't want to change computers and exchange data and stuff. So desktop is not an option. In my main option I have 27" screen to work on.
Looks like on the data sheet the windows laptops are better, do agree though built quality is not on the mac level. What I worry most about is the windows os, as I really like MacOS. Could get used to it, not sure about performance compared to each other.

I started to use C1 as my Canon 5dsr and fuji files look much better, tethering is also good. Might jump back to LR if they should improve. Then of course PS and sometimes Phocus for my Hasselblad.

I switched on open cl support in the c1 settings, and that was making my system about 10 times slower as my GPU seems outdated. The ATI strategy from apple is also not convincing, even on the C1 with opencl it might be less of an issues then with LR.
Might wait for the lenovo p50 or what else is coming with more memory and latest processors. They will be heavier though.

It's really confusing with all those cpu and gpu types in the laptops, so many seem to have different version even with the same model name.

AlterEgo

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 12:18:10 pm »

I switched on open cl support in the c1 settings, and that was making my system about 10 times slower as my GPU seems outdated.
C1 logs the performance test of yout GPUs in couple of log files = for example : http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18561

so that you can see what your GPU is capable of and compare with proper (for C1) gpus

PS: note that the lower numbers the better, for example a decent GPU scores =
2015-03-31 08:41:49.521> OpenCL Device : GeForce GTX 980
2015-03-31 08:41:50.456> OpenCL benchMark : 0.168960

for comparison my mobile GTX870M in a current notebook (no overclocking or anything) scores

2015-09-22 00:45:15.154> OpenCL Device : GeForce GTX 870M
2015-09-22 00:45:16.170> OpenCL benchMark : 0.316576

and embedded (in CPU) gpu scores

2015-09-22 00:45:14.077> OpenCL Device : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
2015-09-22 00:45:15.150> OpenCL benchMark : 0.802720

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:07:48 pm by AlterEgo »

orc73

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 12:57:48 pm »

must be a typo... so is it a 970m or a 870m?
The 980 seems to be the desktop version.
Will it make any significant difference to use 960m 970m or 980m for photo editing?
Same question goes for all the i7 versions...4th, 5th and 6th are out.

best regards

AlterEgo

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »

must be a typo... so is it a 970m or a 870m?
The 980 seems to be the desktop version.
Will it make any significant difference to use 960m 970m or 980m for photo editing?
Same question goes for all the i7 versions...4th, 5th and 6th are out.

best regards

in my examples it is copy & paste... 980 was not my computer - I'd assume the user was talking about the desktop... GTX870M (there was typo in my post - I have prev. generation GTX870M as quoted from the log and not GTX970M, sorry,... I corrected that above) and igpu 4600 are from my notebook... I did not have 9xxM-series dGPUs, sorry... and certainly newer versions of i7 with more advanced iGPUs are faster specifically the ones with shared 128mb ram on sensor assembly that can work as extra cache level

I suggest you to go to P1 U2U forums and ask questions there to uses with gpus that you consider... P1 claims that C1 can use all GPUs available for example both iGPU (in intel CPU) and dGPU (makes it 2 then) or iGPU and dual GPU (makes it 3)...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:09:03 pm by AlterEgo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up