Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Across the Verde Valley  (Read 3456 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Across the Verde Valley
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:30:01 pm »

Autumn equinox here in Arizona this morning. Shot this with my Nikon 1 v2 zoomed out to 100 mm from the back porch. Got to experimenting with different treatments in LR/PS and came up with this rendering. Fun, painterly I know, and offering for CC here. There are some fascinating canyons about 15 miles across the valley and I was experimenting with the long reach (270 mm equivalent). Criticisms and comments welcome as always. Thoughts on continued PP experimentation along these lines?

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Across the Verde Valley
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:34:39 pm »

I love the colors and the composition, but the grainy pattern in the foreground mountains is too artificial for my taste. I would make it smoother since the lines/shapes of the ridges by themselves are powerful enough.

However I am also of the strong opinion that the artist is "always right", so pls. take these comments with a grain of salt, it's more a reflection of what I would do with a capture like that and it's certainly not the only way to exploit it to its maximum potential.
pieter, aka pegelli

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:15:48 pm »

David,

I completely agree with Pieter, on both points.

I like the composition, colors and tonalities in the image a lot, but I'd like it even more if the textures were smoother.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 01:24:49 pm »

+ at least 2.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 01:29:09 pm »

Thanks for the comments and am posting version 2 with the Local Adjustment mask extended from the upper half to the lower half. These show quite differently in LR, almost like the noise or graininess looks like rocky texture in the original. That being said, we get more abstract with the second version. I'm inclined to stick with the first just based on what I see on my monitor. I should try to print it and see what I get: tricky to render those tones properly, I think.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:33:09 pm »

+ at least 2.
For the OP: Thanks Russ, that means a lot coming from you. I dread the dreaded ARAT comment, but it's whorthwhile nonetheless ;)
If it was in agreement with comments from Pieter and Eric, also appreciated and see the second rendering.
PS Hope your move to Florida has gone well.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:23 pm »

Thanks, David. We haven't left yet, but we will by about the 12th of next month. in the meantime it's full-time packing. As I know you well know, moving is a pain.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:36:33 pm »

Printing on paper and canvas should be the definitive test for those textures. The original looks too much like digital noise on my monitor.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 02:19:16 pm »

Printing on paper and canvas should be the definitive test for those textures. The original looks too much like digital noise on my monitor.
So they both printed well and I think I like the OP printed better than the smoother rendition, which I agree looks a little better on screen. But I am intrigued with your comment. It is digital noise and texturizing added in the PP. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that digital noise would not have a place in composition or rendition?

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 04:41:13 pm »

I like the shot but I'm also not a fan of that texture. I think completely smooth would look really nice.
Maybe I would change my tune if I saw a print.
-MattB

pegelli

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 05:15:21 pm »

I think I would also favor a completely smooth version without texture, but I do like the second better then the first. The first looks very artificial and the second more like a random snowstorm. But in the end it's what you want to achieve with the picture.

I also think this is a case where we can keep discussing "till the cows come home" because it's a matter of (subjective) taste. It's your choice and ultimately you need to be happy with it.
pieter, aka pegelli

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 05:30:38 pm »

David...I think the colors and tonalities are very nice...reminds me  in some ways of an antique Chinese landscape scroll painting e.g. - that said - the "grain" addition doesn't add anything to it....just detracts...as it draws attention to something ( a mechanical additive if you will) that isn't really attention worthy. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 06:49:40 pm »

So they both printed well and I think I like the OP printed better than the smoother rendition, which I agree looks a little better on screen. But I am intrigued with your comment. It is digital noise and texturizing added in the PP. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that digital noise would not have a place in composition or rendition?

David, I see no reason to rule out any technique. I only take issue with an affect that seems to call attention to itself and thus dominates an otherwise fine image.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 07:19:55 pm »

David, I see no reason to rule out any technique. I only take issue with an affect that seems to call attention to itself and thus dominates an otherwise fine image.
Thanks for the clarification and for commenting.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 08:45:44 pm »

OK, since this is an experiment ;D, I had another go at it. The mood is completely different, but if I could get the original tones with these new de-noise effects... Appreciate the comments from all, including Pieter, Brandt, louoates, and Eric and interesting to see your reasoning. Incidentally, the grain, noise, false texture, whatever you want to call it, was not added, it just came out in the PP. I know it's a PP by committee discussion and that's not the point, but it was interesting to see where all your critiques focussed, which is why I posted. Thanks! Greatful to have this kind of input.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 01:47:29 pm »

David,
 Your newest version is much more pleasing to my eye. I'm seeing nice tonal gradations rather than wondering what all that grain is about. As to the original color values...I'm thinking you can recreate those tones in Photoshop. I'd first try to get a color swatch from the first image, then colorize those original tone areas on a separate layer with a soft brush using the Overlay layer mode with various degrees of opacity. Other folks here may chip in with advice using Color Balance adjustments and other means. When you have a really nice basic image there is great play value in tinkering.

pegelli

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 02:08:18 pm »

I like the smoothness of the last version, but the more subtle and subdued tones of the second version are also very much to my liking.

Aren't we hard to please ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 07:50:08 pm »

Aren't we hard to please ;)
Yes, but then I like the criticisms and suggestions; can't have one without the other!
Pages: [1]   Go Up