Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Nikon 200-500 F5.6

(1/10) > >>

Paul2660:
I was able to briefly shoot with this lens today as my local camera store had one in for a pre-order.  I was impressed. 

The feel of the lens is very nice, the zoom is a twist style and movement feels very clean.  Overall impression is that Nikon, albeit late to the game in this category got it right.   

Shooting was very limited but I found the lens very sharp even wide open at 500mm.  Enough so that I am going to sell my Tamron 150-600 and move to this lens.  The overall size and weight of the Nikon is great, and it has a 95mm outer opening.  The fixed F5.6 is a nice feature also.   This looks like a great field lens for a lot of the wildlife shooting I prefer and it would be a great landscape lens as I like the zoom range. 

Hopefully more will be shipping soon to my dealer and I can post some samples.

Paul Caldwell

MoreOrLess:
I'v been weighing up getting into wildlife shooting my seriously(only 200mm max at the moment on FF) and this lens certainly looks interesting. The tests I'v seen so far have ut beating the recent Sigma 150-600mm at 500mm and being around the same as the Sigma at 600mm when used with a 1.4 TC to get 700mm.

Must confess whilst I'll buy third party for landscape I'm not sure about doing it for anything that will be more autofocus dependant.

NancyP:
Gosh. For years I felt privileged as a Canon user for having the very lightweight 400 f/5.6L as a "gateway lens" to bird photography - and then the new 100-400 f/4-5.6L. Smug no longer! Have fun, Nikonistas, this looks great! P.S., having gotten used to "no image stabilization" in the 1.2 kg 400 f/5.6L, I still love it to bits, in good light. It's the only non-mirror 400mm lens that I ever expect to shoot one-handed (admittedly, near-zenith).

dwswager:
Intriguing.  I am really hankering for a reasonably affordable 400mm f/4 PF that won't happen so this might be a decent alternative. 

Rory:
Brad Hill has put up his first impressions - looks like a winner.  http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version