Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannon Lens and new EOS 30D  (Read 2887 times)

bestbyte

Cannon Lens and new EOS 30D
« on: March 19, 2006, 12:40:09 pm »

I am planning to buy the new EOS 30D soon and plan to use it to take pictures of school sports, indoor and out, as well as recitals and plays. I want to get professional quality photos. Twenty years ago I used to shoot allot with my old Nikon but have just been playing around last few years with stock consumer digital and am tired of the poor image quality. I’ve got about 4K to invest in the glass and am trying to figure out what to get. I figured the f2.8 70-200 is usm would be good for basketball and wrestling, but what about baseball and football and those auditorium shots with so-so lighting? Any help would be appreciated.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:01:20 pm »

I am planning to buy the new EOS 30D soon and plan to use it to take pictures of school sports, indoor and out, as well as recitals and plays. I want to get professional quality photos. Twenty years ago I used to shoot allot with my old Nikon but have just been playing around last few years with stock consumer digital and am tired of the poor image quality. I’ve got about 4K to invest in the glass and am trying to figure out what to get. I figured the f2.8 70-200 is usm would be good for basketball and wrestling, but what about baseball and football and those auditorium shots with so-so lighting? Any help would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L, that's about as good as you are going to get with reach, usability, low light, and quality. With the rest of your money, I would get these:

1) Either the 24-70 f/2.8 L or the 24-105 f/4 IS L. This will cover your normal range.

2) The 300mm f/4 IS L. Sound like just the ticket for high quality distant sports.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

macgyver

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 07:51:31 pm »

Basketball:  70-200 is king.  A shorter lens would also help, say a 24-70 or some such.

Football: American football or soccer?  I've used my 70-200 for good with nice results, but both demand more lenght.  However, both are played outside, often at night.  If they are at night, just used the 70-200 as best you can or underexpose an f4 300 (wouldn't recomend).  If they are day time the 300 f/4 or the 400 f/5.6 would both be great.

Recitals and plays:  The 70-200 will be excellent, but also think of checking out the canon 50 1.8 (or 1.4 if you have the cash).  The focal length is nice for stage, and the fast aperature will be amazing.

Hope that helps a little, let me know if I can do anything else.

-macgyver

bestbyte

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 02:27:04 am »

I thank you both for the lens info, i have lots of reading  to do, it will be fun.

One other question is should I add a 1.4 teleconverter to the list and is the 550 speedlite a good unit?

Thanks again

Bestbyte

macgyver

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 11:22:32 am »

The speedlight won't help all that much with sports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up