Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OM-D E-M1 "shutter shock?"  (Read 9454 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
OM-D E-M1 "shutter shock?"
« on: September 17, 2015, 03:51:31 pm »

I'm coming to the OM-D E-M1 somewhat late and have seen a number of posts on DPReview about a so called "shutter shock" that exists around 1/60 to 1/250 shutter speeds.

This forum is filled with experienced photographers, thankfully. Is there any consensus on the issue? Is there "shutter shock," or not? Do all cameras have it, or is it isolated to the m4/3 cameras?

Your advice and help is appreciated.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

AlterEgo

Re: OM-D E-M1 "shutter shock?"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:19:40 pm »

I'm coming to the OM-D E-M1 somewhat late and have seen a number of posts on DPReview about a so called "shutter shock" that exists around 1/60 to 1/250 shutter speeds.

This forum is filled with experienced photographers, thankfully. Is there any consensus on the issue? Is there "shutter shock," or not? Do all cameras have it, or is it isolated to the m4/3 cameras?

Your advice and help is appreciated.

never too late to (re)read the ultimate test of it from early 2014 = http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3651827 , this is for every E-M1 owner must do (I was once)

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 04:21:33 pm »

"Shutter shock" has over the past few years become a "thing" due to the shutter behavior of some mirrorless cameras. In the E-M1's case the latest firmware enables an electronic first curtain shutter option that mitigates the issue. I don't think it works in continuous shutter mode…but I personally never use that. Other cameras, like Panasonic's new GX8, lack an EFC per se but allow for an all-electronic shutter that accomplishes the same thing (in addition to being utterly silent in operation).

-Dave-
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:26:01 pm by Telecaster »

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:22:48 pm »

In the E-M1's case the latest firmware enables an electronic first curtain shutter option that mitigates the issue.

it just enables a delay of 25ms ( AKA antishock = 0s )... not a genuine EFCS

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:00:38 pm »

never too late to (re)read the ultimate test of it from early 2014 = http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3651827 , this is for every E-M1 owner must do (I was once)

That's a very good post and he put in a tremendous amount of work to document all his findings!

It certainly supports those who are of the opinion that shutter shock is real.

The AntiShock=0 setting is clearly needed. Sadly, you can't combine the anti-shock shutter release with the high or low speed continuous release - so you can get one or the other. That would leave shutter shock a problem for some shooting situations without an alternative fix.

Is there a similarly well done post on the topic but looking at the Fuji X-T1?
Bob Rockefeller

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »

Sure, "shutter shock" is real. It can be demonstrated. Whether it's relevant to your particular method of photographing is another thing. I've never seen it in real-world use, only when deliberately inducing it via methods I'd normally never use. Same with Sony's A7r. But that's in part a consequence of how I take photos. If continuous modes combined with ~1/30–125th second exposures are relevant to your pic-taking approach, then the Oly E-M5ii may be a better m43 choice than the E-M1.

-Dave-

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 05:30:16 pm »

Is there a similarly well done post on the topic but looking at the Fuji X-T1?
Fuji users are not of the same caliber, never ever... people buying x-trans  :o ?

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 05:33:51 pm »

I've never seen it in real-world use, only when deliberately inducing it via methods I'd normally never use.

so do you call shooting analog oscilloscope screen an inducing ?

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 08:33:21 pm »

Fuji users are not of the same caliber, never ever... people buying x-trans  :o ?

?????
Regards,
Ron

bengeo

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 07:31:34 am »

Sadly, you can't combine the anti-shock shutter release with the high or low speed continuous release - so you can get one or the other. That would leave shutter shock a problem for some shooting situations without an alternative fix.

New Firmware v4 available in November includes: "Sequential shooting for the Anti-Shock Mode when set to 0"

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 07:34:51 am »

New Firmware v4 available in November includes: "Sequential shooting for the Anti-Shock Mode when set to 0"

Lovely! So would there remain any downside to using anti-shock = 0 for everything? Would it be the only way in a future E-M1 II?
Bob Rockefeller

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 08:39:50 am »

?????

It's easier to troll than to say something meaningful (this it's in regards to the text you quoted).

AlterEgo

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 09:32:43 am »

It's easier to troll than to say something meaningful (this it's in regards to the text you quoted).
if you didn't notice I actually said something very useful in this very thread - that is pointed the OP to the definitive shutter shock test, ___unlike you___  8)

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 09:44:44 am »

I suppose he's being snarky about the Fuji x-trans sensor and the people who use it.
Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 09:45:24 am »

if you didn't notice I actually said something very useful in this very thread.

So which of the mirrorless camera system do you use, and recommend?
Bob Rockefeller

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 12:19:36 pm »

As I said above, just trolling.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 12:26:48 pm »

if you didn't notice I actually said something very useful in this very thread - that is pointed the OP to the definitive shutter shock test, ___unlike you___  8)
Yes, but you couldn't just stop there and had to fit your agenda.

And while we are at shutter shock I didn't see any reports that Fuji has one, if anything I think it's very well behaved.

Mousecop

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 12:34:30 pm »

Lovely! So would there remain any downside to using anti-shock = 0 for everything? Would it be the only way in a future E-M1 II?
I shoot handheld most of the time, and I've definitely noticed shutter shock on my E-M1. You wouldn't notice it in casual use, but will notice it if you're scrutinizing the image for critical sharpness.

I haven't run into any downsides to using the 0s Anti-Shock settings. Once it's all tested, I may configure the E-M1 to do some auto-bracketing with 0s Anti-Shock as part of a custom mode.

The only potential issue is that it may add a slight delay to high-speed shooting, which may or may not influence your usage.

It's also not the most straight-forward thing to configure. You've got to menu-dive and deliberately select it as a shooting mode.

AlterEgo

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 01:34:42 pm »

Yes, but you couldn't just stop there and had to fit your agenda.

where is fun in that ?

And while we are at shutter shock I didn't see any reports that Fuji has one, if anything I think it's very well behaved.

Fuji X-T1 being a primitive camera with X-Sync reduced to 1/180 (rated) then indeed it shall have lesser shutter shock with slower moving shutter blades... as we know : (m * v^2) / 2

rdonson

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »

where is fun in that ?

Fuji X-T1 being a primitive camera with X-Sync reduced to 1/180 (rated) then indeed it shall have lesser shutter shock with slower moving shutter blades... as we know : (m * v^2) / 2

You've failed to answer a question from one of the posters.  What mirrorless camera do YOU own.  BTW, we all realize there is no such thing as a perfect camera.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up