Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Places for Fall Color in Colorado Sept 25 - Oct 2?  (Read 4788 times)

John Hollenberg

Best Places for Fall Color in Colorado Sept 25 - Oct 2?
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:39:43 pm »

Any suggestions for the best places to look for Fall Color in Colorado this year between Sept 25 and October 2?  We are planning to fly into Denver.  Info from those living in Colorado would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:18:33 pm by John Hollenberg »

Hayhill

Re: Best Places for Fall Color in Colorado Sept 25 - Oct 2?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:02:05 pm »

John,
I do not live in CO, but I do own a condo in Silverthorne, and I have had the good fortune to photograph here in probably 12 out of the last 20 years. My main conclusion is it doesn't make too much difference, because it is such a "pocket" thing. You will find pockets of aspens at their peak before, during, and after their supposedly peak. It really depends so on elevation, weather, and even time of day (when a backlit sun angle makes them pop).
My suggestion would be to pick out an area and just go for it. The northern mountains (Rocky Mountain NP and the surrounds), the central mountains (the I-70 corridor from the tunnel to Aspen and the pass), or the southern area (Telluride and that area) are the places people talk about. 
For me, I am in Summit County now and plan to go up RMNP about the end of the month (but I like to do wildlife more than scenics). It will be difficult not to get a lot of keepers, and see a lot of places you wish you had been earlier or later ;)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:12:11 pm »

Thanks for the info.  That is reassuring.  I have been in the Northeast (Vermont, New Hampshire) a number of times for Fall Color, and there it has been much less of a "pocket" thing.  Very large areas were either pre-peak, at peak or post-peak and one would have to drive 100 miles or more to see a difference.  The last time I was there (2013) we drove through 5 states looking for good Fall Color and only found 2 spots (one cemetery, one wildlife refuge) that had good color.

Darren

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 05:18:40 am »

The best places to look for color here tend to be at any of the various aspen forests. ;D

If you're needing help locating them, though, to clarify first, have you visited here (CO) in the fall before, or have you done much/any Web searching to see your options? Just wanted to gauge mainly what locations to suggest, like if you're needing your first Colorado fall grand tour, or if you're needing some new territory to cover and that type of thing. Are you planning to camp or motel it?

Also, how many are you bringing? My answer may vary depending on that. If you say you're flying in a hundred people, for example, I might be inclined to suggest you visit the Eastern Plains. I hear areas like Lamar and Rocky Ford are really nice this time of year. ;) They are nice towns--good people there.

So, when did this site start requiring a seven-field image, word, and math-verification process to post--for a registered member? Are you kidding me?! Who does that?! I had to search for who the site publisher is. What a piece. Not that I visit often at all, and obviously don't post, but that could help make this one of my final visits and help remove an extra bookmark. Not that all those nothing-posts by the OnlyNorth character helped as well. In fact, I don't intend to post again based on this. No reason to support that kind of garbage. John, if you want a lot of detailed info, I'm willing to help you out. You may email me at dekilgore @ comcast.net, if inclined. If you were three years earlier in your query, I would've simply given you the link to my (former) fall drives page. I can say with confidence that I would provide you with more info than anyone else, and I know how it can be to travel to unfamiliar areas. Your call.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:44:56 am »

Any suggestions for the best places to look for Fall Color in Colorado this year between Sept 25 and October 2?  We are planning to fly into Denver.  Info from those living in Colorado would be much appreciated.

The Cache la Poudre river flows from the mountains eastward and passes just to the north of Ft. Collins. There's a state road that parallels the river, and if you pick it up in Ft. Collins and head west there's lots of beautiful scenery - not the large vista kind, but on a smaller scale. We were there late October a couple of years ago and the colors were mostly gone so your timing may be better.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:46 am »

John, if you want a lot of detailed info, I'm willing to help you out. You may email me at dekilgore @ comcast.net, if inclined.

Thanks.  Email sent.

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:53:51 am »

Darren, I for one really liked your old fall color site.  I wish it was still up.  I know you put a lot of work into it.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 06:48:25 pm »

Anything above 9000 Ft. is looking pretty good right now. 10,000 Ft.+ is peaking or even slightly beyond. I'm going to see what I can find after work tonight here in Gunnison County.
-MattB

sierraman

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 11:29:07 pm »

Anything above 9000 Ft. is looking pretty good right now. 10,000 Ft.+ is peaking or even slightly beyond. I'm going to see what I can find after work tonight here in Gunnison County.

Thanks for the update. Heading your way this weekend.  :)

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 12:59:55 am »

This was probably around 8500 ft, taken this evening.
Should be great this weekend as long as a big wind doesn't take it all down too soon.
IMGP2808-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

Zac Henderson

• Mega Pixels Digital
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 03:40:06 pm »

If you're ok with taking your car down a gravel rd, I've heard Kebler Pass near Crested Butte is amazing for its huge aspen groves. I've never been there myself but will try to convince the family this weekend.

I was around Minturn last week and many patches around there were already in full color.
Technical Sales and Support: Mega Pixels Digital: Colorado • www.megapixelsdigital.com
Phase One • Mamiya Leaf • Cambo • Profoto • Eizo * Personal Work

stevenf

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 04:05:21 pm »

Hi Zac

Keller Pass is in my opinion the best spot for Aspen photography. Since you are in the neighbourhood, I would also add in Ohio Pass, McClure Pass and Independence Pass although the best spot is now done due to the trees growing up from the valley floor.

I have numerous images on my site from these areas, have a look if you like.

Steven

www.friedmanphoto.com

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 04:54:02 pm »

Kebler and Ohio passes are top notch for leaves. I'll be up there this weekend myself!
The Kebler grove which I think also connects to the Ohio Pass grove is the largest aspen grove in the world and the second largest known organism in the world. :)

This is from Ohio Pass
IMGP6857-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr

This is from the summit of Mt. Owen, overlooking the Kebler grove and Dark Canyon on a hazy smoky day.
IMGP9710.jpg by Matt Burt, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:56:06 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 05:32:57 pm »

I just saw this post by my friend and figured it would be good info here. Dusty knows his CB area locations!
5 Must-See Places for Crested Butte Fall Color
-MattB

John Hollenberg

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 02:31:01 pm »

One of the best places today, Sept 28 is Ohio Pass and mile 20 on Highway 12 (West of Kebler pass).  The colors are simply stunning!  We spent the morning photographing, saw lots of other photographers there.

Grand Mesa is a bit past peak, but there are some good spots of focal peak color (yesterday, Sept 27), particularly on the North side of the mesa just as you start driving down, and the drive is very beautiful.  Another photographer told us Telluride area is very good right now.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 03:49:25 pm »

I did an engagement shoot early Saturday up on Mt. Owen and we took Ohio pass to get there from Gunnison. I saw quite a few photographers going to and from our location and I have to say I wanted to join them as I saw the first light just hitting The Castles when we passed. But my time was being paid for by someone else so I just kept going. :(

I wondered if some of the people in this thread were those photographers. I hope I didn't kick up too much dust! :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:57:04 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

John Hollenberg

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 05:01:33 pm »

Color is at or fairly near peak (Sept. 29) from Telluride to Lizardhead Pass.  Stunning!   Should be good for the next couple of days, perhaps longer.

Lightsmith

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 07:58:19 pm »

I was in the Walden area and RMNP and Durango and points in between from Oct 1-8 and half the aspens had lost all their leaves and the rest for the most part had leaves only at the crowns. I was able to get some good images but used the 70-200mm lens for the most part to exclude the barren trees. Two or three weeks earlier might have been better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up