Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf8400 smearing ink?  (Read 887 times)

darinb

ipf8400 smearing ink?
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:27:22 pm »

At least one question for now...

I just bought a 8400 and am running a few test prints on Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl. Everything *looks* good but I noticed that the ink in the very dark areas is smearing (quite readily) if I run my finger across the print.  The prints are about 24 hours old and have been stored at home in normal conditions. What's going on?

--Darin

Scott Hein

• Hein Natural History Photography
Re: ipf8400 smearing ink?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:51:56 pm »

Which paper/media type did you select when you loaded the paper?  It sounds like the media type either delivered too much ink, or it used the wrong black ink (MK vs PK) for that particular paper.  There are several "special" media types for "glossy" paper (PK), Special 1-5, and for "matte" paper (MK), Special 6-10.  Settings 5 and 10 delivery the most ink for those media types.  I haven't used that particular paper, but my experience with the iPF6400 is that the ink is dry pretty much upon exiting the printer.

-Scott

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 05:37:05 pm »

I've been using media setting Special 4 for the Hah Pearl for years with the 8300 and have never seen a print smear. They seem to dry immediately.

darinb

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:55:21 pm »

Bingo. "Special 4" is the winner. Thanks--I almost printed a big, multi-print project and only discovered the smearing ink issue late in the process...

--Darin
Pages: [1]   Go Up