Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor recommendations, please?  (Read 2138 times)

rvamos

Monitor recommendations, please?
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:15:29 pm »

I need to buy a new monitor, and am wondering what is the most cost-effective solution nowadays.  I need something that is either 24 or 27 inches, preferably has auto-calibration (or calibration built in - without having to buy an external spider) and a hood.  What do you guys suggest?  Anything under $1200 on the market?  Thanks!

D Fosse

Re: Monitor recommendations, please?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:06:49 pm »

Only the Eizo CGs have built-in calibration sensor and hood included. Prices start at $1900.

Eizo CX/CS and NEC PA all come in different editions, with/without calibration software/sensor.

My personal recommendation would be either Eizo CX with ColorNavigator included, but no sensor - or NEC PA with SpectraviewII software purchased separately. Then get an i1 Display Pro to go with it at 230 extra. Best sensor on the market and maximum flexibility to use on other displays (bundled sensors are locked).

Either way you have to get the hood separately. Another 180 or so there.

The Eizo CX series has a built-in "maintenance" sensor, which should not be confused with a full calibration sensor. It will maintain your calibration targets at set intervals, but for a full calibration/profiling an external sensor is still required.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:09:23 pm by D Fosse »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:19:28 pm »

Up the budget, get an NEC PA series with their software and supported Colorimeter.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rvamos

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 02:09:36 am »

Thanks!  I'll go after an NEC PA.  Very grateful for the answers.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 02:05:39 am »

Up the budget, get an NEC PA series with their software and supported Colorimeter.
are the NEC monitors appreciably better than their Dell counterparts that use the same wide gamut panel? Thanks Marc
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:37:01 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

D Fosse

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:55:56 am »

It's not the panel as such. They all use the same panel, more or less, and they all come from LG Display.

It's partly how that panel is corrected, partly paying for premium batches with tight specifications (some are better than others).

Aggressive price-cutters like Dell aren't getting the best panels, and they aren't spending any money correcting what they do get. This doesn't show up in the spec sheet so they are able to maximize specs and minimize price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up