FIY, I have just bought a Coolpix P4 and am pretty happy so far.
Some quick images taken these past few days in Tokyo:http:[email protected]/...57594103107613/
- VR works great,
- image quality at ISO 50 and 100 is great, good at 200 and poor at ISO 400,
- the AF works fine, even in pretty dark areas, but I only used the central sensor (didn't even try the other modes),
- DR is of course not 5D class, but it is completely usable,
- exposure is overall very accurate, with a slight tendency to underexpose in dark scenes with brights areas (neons for instance). A simple +0.7 exposure compensation could correct that. Day light were overall spot on, the over-exposed images were mostly my own fault... :-)
- the auto WB works OK in mixed lighting, but had a hard time compensating for the green cast found in predominently neon lightning situations,
- the interface is OK, but could have been made faster to operate rather easily.
->The shutter button is so so, when half pushing for AF lock, I find that I often accidentaly release it.
-> why is there a need to push to the right of the selector to access the aperture control capability when in A mode???
-> why is there only an horizontal panorama assistant when everybody knows that panoramas are short in portrait mode???
- I really miss a wider angle capability (but knew I would),
- the battery life appears to be a potential problem, but the batteries are still on their first charge, it could improve later on,
- distorsion on the wide end is pretty strong, but what can you expect?...