Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many images in your LR Catalog(s)? Any perf issues?  (Read 1007 times)

jerryw

• Jerry Weimar Photography
How many images in your LR Catalog(s)? Any perf issues?
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:37:22 am »

After having performance issues some years ago with LR, I split a bunch of my catalogs.  Now I'm considering pulling them back together since, of course, hardware has gotten more powerful, and probably LR itself is faster.

But before I do that, I'm wondering if-and-when folks are experiencing any performance issues with LR as their catalogs grow.  And, if so, at what catalog sizes they start noticing issues.  If you would be kind enough to share your experience, I would be grateful.

I'm well aware that this is a function of hardware setup - but still wondering what folks are experiencing.  I have a Maingear 131, with SSD/ HD, etc for what its worth.  And I am running standalone LR 6.1.

(Sorry if this has been discussed before - didn't find after a quick search.)

Cheers

Jerry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: How many images in your LR Catalog(s)? Any perf issues?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:17:11 am »

Performance issues are rarely if ever related to the number of photos in a catalogue. FWIW my own is 60000 but I often work on someone's which has just reached 600k images. In neither case is the hardware unusually-powerful, and the only tasks that are slower are backing up and optimising. Controlling all one's pictures in a single place has enormous benefits compared to fragmenting control over a series of catalogues.

You need to look at hardware issues. Are your graphics card drivers up to date? How recently have you optimised your catalogues? This is often a big win. What about face detection?

Also see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400808.html and http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html .

John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:44:36 am by john beardsworth »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:17:24 am »

I have ~25,000 images in my catalog and have not noticed any performance issues. Of course any slowing down would have crept up slowly over the years, but when I recently created a new catalog for a special project, 60 images, it was not faster that I could notice.

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:32:48 am »

275,000 images with no performance issues.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

jerryw

• Jerry Weimar Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 12:55:01 pm »

Thanks to all who replied.  Your comments have encouraged me to go forward with catalog consolidation, without undue fear of this resulting in performance issues.

Cheers

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up