Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mourning the loss of a great forum...  (Read 161000 times)

davaglo

Mourning the loss of a great forum...
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2006, 09:19:11 pm »

I would like to also request that the forum be open. As a novice I have been able read and glean nuggets of information about this hobby that I have not gotten anywhere else. I have read a plethera of books and magazines, the knowledge that they impart does not have the depth that this forum gives me. I may not be able to sit around the table and discuss the professional techniques but I do get to stand behind you and listen, and once in awhile ask a pedestrian question which someone is kind enough to answer.

Jerry
jrg

DarkPenguin

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2006, 09:53:50 pm »

Who me? I didn't see any post about "Crazy People" although I'm pretty crazy <g>

I can't even get onto the forums know. Are they down?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The forums are up for me.

For those of you that missed it, last week we posted an administrative notice here in which we made it clear that the forum rules would once again fully apply to this topic area. This was after a several month period in which some really great discussion about medium format digital photography, as well as the craft and business of photography in general, was regularly being stomped on by a small but vocal minority of, well, crazy people.

And unfortunately, the crazy people were winning. In fact, they were outstripping our ability to try and keep the area free and clear for the useful discussion. The situation wasn't helped by the number of normally calm members that were getting caught up in the frenzy. By the middle of last week, we realized our attempt to try a more hands-off approach in this topic area had failed.

*etc etc*

[a href=\"http://forums.robgalbraith.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=413268&an=0&page=0#413268]Thread at RG's.[/url]

ddolde

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2006, 10:02:07 pm »

Censorship is just wrong. I'm seriously considering putting a link to this and the other sites that have discussed Rob's inappropriate behavior on my web site (I get a few thousands hits a week). Or maybe emailing his sponsors. Or should I just ignore this bonehead?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60838\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Attack him fido.  Kill. Maim.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 12:17:16 am »

I hadn't visited RG's forum in quite a while, but this thread piqued my interest (like ambulance chasing). I had no trouble getting in and saw that there is still somewhat of a thread about MF digital. I also read Rob's disclaimer/apology/rant(?) as quoted by Dark Penguin, which prompted me to read his Forum Rules, too.

I sure wouldn't want to get pulled over by his Forum Cops, so I think I'll stay away.

Since I've been perusing the LL forum, there have certainly been a few disagreements that have become a little heated, but they tend to be short-lived, and people are generally pretty good about clarifying their points, and even apologizing if they have inadvertently offended someone.

And the bad apples (and, I should add, "bad pc's", so I'm not slamming one brand . . .      ) generally go away pretty quickly. The discussions tend to be 97% quite civilized, and generally very informative. Perhaps one of the reasons Michael's generally hands-off approach to forum oversight works so well is that there are a number of long-time regulars who will offer reasonably tactful (but never wishy-washy) warnings to posters who overstep the bounds of civillity. To me this really feels like a community of friends --- and friends can disagree without getting disagreeable about it!

I'm sorry for the RG regulars who have now apparently lost some good people.

Long live LL!!  

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

James Russell

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2006, 01:54:10 am »

I love the "Crazy People" quote.

Really do.

Actually let me look this up on google.

cra·zy   Audio pronunciation of "crazy" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (krz)
adj. cra·zi·er, cra·zi·est

1. Affected with madness; insane.
   2. Informal. Departing from proportion or moderation, especially:

I guess it fits, at least partially #1, most definatley #2.

You have to be crazy to do this for a living.  Huge overhead, lots of vairable,s massive hours and all the time being judged by a few little pictures.

I just flew across country sitting next to a guy my age that just sold his real estate company.

Sold it for bank.  Has one year left on the contract and he is off to Miami or Capri or someplace that rich good looking tan people hang out.

I thought wow, now that's how to do it . . . work hard and sell it for bank.

He asked me what I did and I told him and he wanted to see some photographs so I handed him my I-pod and he went nuts showing it to his associates, saying wow what a life.

I just laughed and said yea maybe it looks interesting, but you will probably end your days lying in the sun with those little chilled cucumbers on your eyes while some guy named Rolf sparys you with Evian, but me, I'll check out in some dirty mud puddle downtown, holding a camera in my hand and telling the first assistant to make sure these shots get on the web site.

Ok, that's the last comment from me on crazy people.

Now to forums, cameras, photography.

You know I see posts all the time from people that I would swear don't like me.  I may rebut them, disagree with them, but I really like the exchange of thought.

The value of any forum is the sharing, then the knowledge, then the exchange of thought.

If we all just wanted knowledge we would only read the manuals and never talk to anyone.

It's the human interaction, good and bad that keeps it interesting.

All IMO

JR

Gandalf

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2006, 03:04:28 am »

Well I think I'll be hanging out here a lot more often. Like Michael R. I came to the RG house cleaning party a bit late, but since the last of the brain trust is gone, no point hanging around a stale party.

Although I have had an account on here for long enough to have to reregister after a few crashes, hacks and moves I have not posted much because I always got what I needed at RG and much as I hate to admit it, my landscape photography time has severely dwindled over the past few years (right about the time that the monthly critiques went away).

Michael, thanks for letting us hang out here and saving us from [this post has been edited by Rob Galbraith].

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:45 am »

Cant see the forest for the trees over there. There loss.... any other consoling cliches.....
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2006, 09:03:55 am »

Attack him fido.  Kill. Maim.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I prefer "Crush-Kill-Destroy"

I got back on the fourms as a lurker and did get to see Rob's post about crazy people. Load of BS and more propaganda. I hope he doesn't really believe that nonsense.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul Jameson

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2006, 09:50:58 am »

Hello All! I'm new here now, I hope I am welcome and look forward to getting to know you all.

I was banned from another site (without warning) in that recent string of events. I made a post asking why all these threads had been deleted and was instantly banned.

It was like I was wearing a Boy George outfit at a Klan rally or something.

All that censorship leads me to question the authenticity of any information on that site. It appears they have too much to protect or hide.

It appears to me that that forum is there to build a "certain somebodys" name, however he seems to care little for the opinions and expressions for those that are there building his name unless they are in a very strict keeping with his own.

I for one couldn't care less for any site which chooses to reduce my craft and passion to a mere self serving, commercial pack horse where no one can speak their mind. I would rather pull my own teeth.

On a highly positive note, I think all this backlash only shows me the strength of the photogrpahic comunity in challenging times of the greatest change we have ever seen in our (well at least mine!) lives (ie-digital revolution). It's refreshing to see that sponsors are not in control, at the end of the day and that we don't want to be a part of "the third mall from the sun". The truth is not hidden at all.

Best Wishes to you all and I'm very happy to have found you  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:59:09 am by Paul Jameson »

Nigelfrommanchester

• http://www.nigelatkinson.biz
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2006, 09:54:47 am »

As I explained at the top of the thread I'm sad to see what has happened, but I don't see much point in the tirades against Rob Galbraith. Everyone has sat around his coffee table for months/ years and had a great time there. It was good of him to invite us all in because he didn't have to, he chose to. If he makes money out of it then its a 'win-win' isn't it?

I suspect that most people over the years have offended at least one friend by email without intending to. Its even easier with people you don't know and haven't met. Taking offence can be even easier.  

In Rob's ammended post he himself says (and I'm paraphasing) that he may not of made the intervention in the right way, and that he regrets at least some of the consequences. He's still providing a great service free of charge to users; I still visit there most days along with LL and Fred Miranda. The time I spend in each one just depends on who's turned up and what they have to say.

So, lets recommence sharing information with a little banter.

Oh, and apologies if I've offended anyone.  

Nigel
nigelatkinson.biz
Nigel Atkinson
[url=http://www.nigelatki

John Camp

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2006, 10:10:44 am »

There are a number of people posting on the MF forums at Galbraith's that I'd hate to lose track of; if they'd settle here, that'd be great. If they settle somewhere else, I hope they let us know where.

The best forums that I've been on, or that I've read (like this one and the rangefinder forum) have always had unspoken agreements that we'll be adults -- and that includes understanding that there'll be some disagreements, and occasional harsh words, and so on, but also to understand that we don't let it get out of control. Recently on the rangefinder forum, a thread seemed to be getting out of control, and members gently hijacked it with a discussion of fine wines, and absolutely killed off the dispute. No rebuke, but the point was made.

What happened at the Galbraith forum (which I still read on occasion) was odd, to say the least. Most sites would kill to have Russell and Tucker and Schewe and digitaldog and the other guys on-board. I've have no ambitions in pro photography at all, but to see some of these guys answering questions from struggling beginner-pros was pretty inspiring; it's like the best of what the net was supposed to be for.

Hope they stop here. I'd like to see Michael post his "ultimate system" shootout and then have those guys comment on it. (Along with comments from some pretty good guys who already come here.) That'd be worth a book by itself...

JC

kmanphoto

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 11:09:27 am »

is the place to hang out now ????? or what???
personnaly  i feel if RG is going to police his joint that way - it is his choice
but with every action there is a reaction
so now maybe LL is the "place" to be now

thanks
Kent
Kent Whiting

Fritzer

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2006, 12:26:20 pm »

Hello there,

Another RG forum refugee here, ...

First of all, kudos to Michael for allowing for this sort of discussion; I used to moderate a few fora myself, and, frankly, some of the comments in this thread I would have chosen to 'edit' ....

That said, Rob and his Cerberus Mike seem to be not too familiar with the way an internet community works; you just can't run it like a boot camp and treat grown-ups like that.
The MF crowd on that message board is the most mature and civilized community I ever came across, apart from the moderators, that is  , I believe the measures taken were absolutely uncalled for.

I managed to get banned from RG's four times in only a few weeks, without warning, for reasons I yet have to grasp.

Anyways, I truely hope this forum or some other place ( no offence, Michael  ) will become a replacement for the unique, but no longer admissible MF digital message board at RG's .

For some reason, there are hardly any places online for advertising pros to hang out and chat, and one of them has just been shut down, sort of ....

Best,
Thomas

Bobtrips

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2006, 03:01:02 pm »

Perhaps it's time to close off this thread and start talking about cameras and photography.

Just a thought....

Paul Jameson

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2006, 03:06:26 pm »

You know I see posts all the time from people that I would swear don't like me.  I may rebut them, disagree with them, but I really like the exchange of thought.

The value of any forum is the sharing, then the knowledge, then the exchange of thought.

If we all just wanted knowledge we would only read the manuals and never talk to anyone.

It's the human interaction, good and bad that keeps it interesting.

All IMO

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60856\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(((((((applause)))))))

IMO x 2

michael

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2006, 05:41:33 pm »

I think that everything that needs to be said on this topic, likely has been.

Now, back to MF / digital.

Michael

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2006, 05:20:44 pm »

I am happy to be able to post here. I am the newest "CRAZY" from Rob's site.  I got banned today March 28 2006 because.......
So, Hello new friends, I am a 6 years DB user, I hope I found a new home here.
www.AndreNapier.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2006, 09:08:05 pm »

I got banned today March 28 2006 because.......

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome to an ever increasing club.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Gustavo_Marx

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2006, 01:28:25 pm »

Me too!
I got banned on March 17th after I said that Mark's and James's ghosts were around
inspiring us with their thoughts.
But I sent them an email asking why and they put me back.

Anyway I believe after my post here I'll be banned for good.

Gustavo

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2006, 07:26:06 pm »

Hi, guys -

I'm here too. Happy to see James here, unhurt - let's go and get Mark and continue where we left off ...

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up