Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mourning the loss of a great forum...  (Read 161003 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Mourning the loss of a great forum...
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2006, 06:52:43 pm »

Well,it looks like RGforums has some other problems. As of today, they're not accepting new posts and the forums are for sale.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool! They did it to themselves. Lets hope to see some of the original gang from the forums over here.

Can't say this isn't the best news I've heard today <g>. Nice to see Rob and Mike implode under their own doing.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2006, 07:20:04 pm »

Well,it looks like RGforums has some other problems. As of today, they're not accepting new posts and the forums are for sale.

Too bad, really.

Yep, that's a real pity.

The value is in the community, and that is probably mostly lost forever.

Regards,
Bernard

stevenrk

• http://
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2006, 07:25:02 pm »

Too bad, really.

Robbe Gibson

I agree with you Rob.  It was a loss all around.  No need to repeat what I said earlier in this thread, but even though this is a very good forum of itself, the RG MF forum was for a brief moment quite an amazing spot.

And I liked that people had to use their real names rather screen names.  I think that added a level to the dialog and spirit of that forum, and hope we can start doing the same here.

Steven Kinberg

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2006, 08:50:41 pm »

I'm a regular visitor to many Photoshop and photography-related forums (working off my list at http://www.plugsnpixels.com/links.html), and I even managed to post at the RG forums 8 times recently without getting banned! (Should I be embarrassed-?)

During my visit there today while making the rounds I read the news of the closure, and then found this and related threads which helped explain the reason. Too bad. I wonder how the sale will go?

More to the point, I work in higher education (IT Consultant, Mac labs) and we recently bought a Leaf MF digital back for students to use in our photo studio with 4x5 and Hasselblad, believe it or not (let's take bets on how long it will last!). How do you guys feel about the Leaf 10.0.0 software? I found some dopey bugs that were confirmed by the dealer here in LA. IMHO, and I have not used the back much myself, but judging by what I have seen others go through when shooting tethered, I think shooting straight to CF and editing later in Camera RAW seems a better workflow (aside from the small preview).

In other news, Andrew (digitaldog), please email me about promoting PixelGenius software. I've already got you guys on my website (Jeff sent me some NFR's back in 9/03), but I'd like to add a PhotoKit Color 2.0 promotion to my site's directory and I haven't worked with it (or the earlier version) yet.

Mike
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2006, 12:03:49 am »

I was hoping we could bring all the prominent RG posters to start posting here?
I certainly received some great info  and advise on the RG forum.
However I've also become a lot more insecure about certain photographic equipment.
At the end of the day,your own testing is paramount,it can be a be  costly exercise.
Regards,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2006, 12:18:47 am »

Nice to see the missing RG members over here . Because they are now closed I have followed. I guess I have been looking at them once a day for five years or more.  The MF forum has been pretty dull lately I have to admit

I have always appreciated the info picked up from those forums whether colour management or the range of new equipment out there.

Just reccently I bought a 1ds2 based on information ( and samples!) from Mark tucker and James Russell - I knew by the time I held it in my hand what any issues were and what I could expect . It went like that all the way back to the  DCS 760 I bought when originally moving over into digital. More recently I have moved to an imacon 132c back but knew exactly what I was getting into before I paid out the not insubstantial  cash.

Andrew Rodney's posts on Colour management was invaluble back then too ( what is a colour profile again?) and much appreciated.
Just the other day thanks to a post and discussion by a member over there I bought  the Dan Margulis book on Photoshop and kicked my knowledge of colour control up another dozen notches.

Sure the forums got a bit silly on occasion but I thought they were pretty good mostly. Fewer but of far better quality than DP review.

And nice to see problems talked about that seem universal to photography wherever you are working in it.

I expect these forums will be as valuble.

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2006, 03:44:49 am »

Well that is that then. Thanks to people like Andre Oldani, James Russell, Tim Griffith, Ashley Morrison and many, many more I have managed to complete the arduous task of selecting my route through this technological minefield to the point where I am finally able to make this significant move.  

I really don't know what I would have done without this help. I'm sad to see that resource go, but I guess the sprit of the internet is more alive in this forum. So it will pick up where the other left off.

I'm not convinced that the forum is being sold because of the issue of moderation of the MF forum though! More likely that there is a good profit to be made from selling it. I assume that the buyer needs to convert the old forum content to a new format and that is why they are freezing new posts.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Bobtrips

« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2006, 12:07:51 pm »

I'm not convinced that the forum is being sold because of the issue of moderation of the MF forum though! More likely that there is a good profit to be made from selling it. I assume that the buyer needs to convert the old forum content to a new format and that is why they are freezing new posts.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If one had a  forum that they wanted to sell it seems that the best strategy would be to get membership/traffic as high as possible and keep it going while looking for a buyer.

Their strategy seems more like running the tank dry, draining out the oil, letting the air out of the tires, breaking out the glass, and then putting a 'For Sale' sign on the windshield.

---

I haven't followed all this, but didn't it start with someone religious sensitivities being offended?  Would that be the same religion that forbids lying?

Just wondering....

Lester

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2006, 12:37:24 pm »

It the knowledge people that make a great forum, kick them off and you will have a so so one.

Their religion is, say good thing about their advertiser and never speak the truth no matter how bad it is.
I am a old fart, over 60

Bob Laughton

• http://www.boblaughton.com
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2006, 02:31:40 pm »

Just like to say that I too am now a migrant to this site, having been an RG subscriber in the past - they really did shoot themselves in the foot with their narrow-minded moral attitudes.

No point in me repeating what has already been said on many of the excellent posts above, other than to add that it's a real shame things have panned out the way they have. Although I made my feelings clear to RG at the time that all this nonsense was flying about, I didn't actually manage to get myself banned. I'd like to think it's because my comments were thoughtful and sensible and had a ring of truth - but more probably they weren't provocative enough!

Anyway, it's good to see some familiar names on here - it will only serve to enhance an already superb site. I also opted to use my real name, as I think it's important on many levels, but that's just my personal choice.

Now then - time to start talking photography again . . .

Cheers

Bob

CorySilken

« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2006, 05:22:00 pm »

Another migrant here...walked over to the water cooler after clocking in this morning and found everybody now huddled around the copier...

I've been participating in the RG site for many years, although more of a lurker recently- spending more time trying to figure out how to make money with equipment I've got, rather than joining y'all playing with new toys.

I was annoyed to see so many of you vanish recently, and very sad now that the forums are effectively gone. Clearly it had been well managed to attract those of us who were there for so long (and keep out the riffraff) and, despite any recent shortcomings, I appreciate having had it and am a better photographer for it.

-C
Studio6x7.com

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2006, 09:03:48 am »

Quote from: CorySilken,Apr 17 2006, 05:22 PM
Another migrant here...

Yes, me too.  

I have really appreciated the RG forum.  I visited the MF digital back and the Kodak site almost everyday.  Sometimes work would get in the way:)

Somehow I missed out on all the wild debate that got people banned.  Whew!

I look forward to belonging to a new community.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

SeanBK

« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2006, 09:51:18 am »

I have my doubts @ what is going over at RG. In medium format forum, lately Uwe from Outback was being a temp. administrator (his name was in green) and was answering all the pertinent questions very well. I do believe the forum will reopen with a different format, but pretty much the subject matter intact (best part). The new format probably will have banner adds from Canon, Phase One, Leaf & other usual suspects AND THERE WILL BE A SUBSCRIPTION FEE!!.
    Isn't that is now a norm, with Getty trying own their Stock portfolio. At PDN one can't read the articles unless you subscribe to mag. May be a portion of forum will be ask the expert, with a subscription fee. So bottom line will be no free exchange of info, and all the self promoted experts will dispense the advises, since market for photographers is getting diminished & cost of new equipment is rising.
    So the photographers are just morphing into.....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:54:01 am by SeanBK »

Henry Goh

« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2006, 10:21:54 am »

Post moved to a new topic
HERE
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:10:01 pm by Henry Goh »

Sfleming

• http://
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2006, 10:37:28 am »

This place is getting nicer everyday.  More old names are coming over so we need to get some contents going to make it even better.  May I be so brave as to get some discussion going?

I am a complete newbie to MF backs although I have shot 4 x 5 and Hasselblads for a long time and Nikon DSLRs for 3 years.  My question to Gurus here is what is the best and most economical way to get into MFDB from this point on?  Of course several years back the entry point must have been different but considering current products as well as decent used products available, what would your advice be?

I shoot mostly portraits and some catalog products in the studio, most of the time, if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62936\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry,

Might I sugges starting a new thread with your question?  You will probably have more luck that way.

Scott

Henry Goh

« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2006, 12:08:27 pm »

Henry,

Might I sugges starting a new thread with your question?  You will probably have more luck that way.

Scott
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are right Scott.  Thanks and I have moved it [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10645]HERE[/url]

Hendrik

• http://www.hendrik-fotografie.nl
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2006, 12:37:33 pm »

It’s a really sad. I loved the RG forums, although I must say I noticed a decline in quality the last couple of months. Maybe this forum will be a good substitute with the same quality as RG once was. Especially the color management forum was very educating.

I also expect a wave of new members at Fred Miranda; hope not too many before Fred update his forum code.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:38:21 pm by Hendrik »

Fritzer

« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2006, 03:21:44 pm »

The new format probably will have banner adds from Canon, Phase One, Leaf & other usual suspects AND THERE WILL BE A SUBSCRIPTION FEE!!.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now that doesn't make much sense; granted, a forum is provided at a cost , but without the contributor's input, there would be no advertisers.
Also, running a message board isn't very expensive - money-wise, that is - especially when you need a host for your website anyways. RG's figures are a little off here, too.

That said, I consider it a little dubious that a message board can be sold, as it's content and popularity depend on the users; even more so if the archives are part of the deal - intellectual property, to name only one issue...

And then pro photographers are supposed to pay for the privilege of sharing their knowledge ?
I don't think so.

ddolde

« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2006, 10:35:01 pm »

Who the hell cares?  I have forgotten about RG so quit reminding me !

kyle

« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2006, 05:17:55 am »

I'm not a regular MF shooter although I do use MF Film equipment from time to time.

I have been considering an MF digital back and found a lot of the information on Rob G's Forum extremely helpful -- stuff from highly respected full time working Professionals with years of experience in the MF arena.  Totally different from a lot of posts on Forums elsewhere which seem to be obviously written by 13 year old wanabbes with nothing else to do with their time.

However the site started going downhill rapidly once it became sponsored and many people got BANNED for posting anything less than STELLAR comments about some of the products made by the sponsors of the site, and others started leaving due to what seemed really heavy handed moderation.

Serious photography is a serious business and certainly in the digital realm there often can be different methods over achieving what we all want - the bset possible result we can provide for ourselvesand our customers.

As such there will always be debates and why not - we all learn a lot from these discussions and it was sad to see the way that particular Forum was going.

Still why not enjoy this place (MR has always had very interesting even if at times controversial articles) and just let the other place R.I.P.

Cheers

-K
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up