Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A7RII - uncompressed RAW coming soon  (Read 13988 times)

FabienP

Re: A7RII - uncompressed RAW coming soon
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 05:07:19 pm »

This is good news indeed, but might fall short on expectations of storage conscious people.

Since it is unlikely that Sony will be offering a lossless compression in the future (speculation: due to hardware limitations in the current cameras, we don't know), one way to solve the problem for permanent storage might be to compress raw files when importing these e.g. in a Lightroom catalogue. Obviously the raw developer programme would have to be adapted to work with raw files that are compressed after creation, possibly using better algorithms than what can be processed in camera.

The other solution would be to store raw files on file systems which have transparent built-in compression (such as ZFS) so that programmes do not have to be adapted to handle compression as a step later in processing.

Cheers,

Fabien

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 10:08:36 pm »

I don't know what prevented Sony implementing a lossless compression scheme, but it is so easy to ZIP files that I don't see it being a major issue for me. A factor of two in stills size isn't the end of the world compared with shooting RED video anyway :-)

Most likely I'll leave the lossy compression switched on for routine, well-lit stuff and turn to uncompressed RAW for trickier stuff like astrophotography where I have noticed the artefacts.

It's nice they've been so quick to respond with it. I'd rather the uncompressed RAWs now than losslessly compressed RAWs in a year or two's time.

Cheers, Hywel

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 07:19:32 am »

Hi,

Converting to DNG makes a good compression. I would not bet on DNG compression being absolutely lossless, however.

Best regards
Erik

This is good news indeed, but might fall short on expectations of storage conscious people.

Since it is unlikely that Sony will be offering a lossless compression in the future (speculation: due to hardware limitations in the current cameras, we don't know), one way to solve the problem for permanent storage might be to compress raw files when importing these e.g. in a Lightroom catalogue. Obviously the raw developer programme would have to be adapted to work with raw files that are compressed after creation, possibly using better algorithms than what can be processed in camera.

The other solution would be to store raw files on file systems which have transparent built-in compression (such as ZFS) so that programmes do not have to be adapted to handle compression as a step later in processing.

Cheers,

Fabien
Erik Kaffehr

John Hollenberg

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:06 am »

Firmware update is here, installed in about 15 minutes without problems.  Link for those in the US:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7RM2&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

rickk

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 11:47:21 am »

Yes, the update worked just fine. And there really is a RAW File Type option in the first menu screen.
As Guillermo noted a month ago, the file size doubles to about 86MB.
Now, we'll have to see if this makes a real difference anywhere.  Good luck!

Regards,  Rick

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 12:28:37 am »

"Adds support to output video via HDMI during use of the Remote Camera Control software (still mode only)"

Can anyone confirm if you can indeed run HDMI out to a monitor and be connected via USB to C1 now with this new update?   I returned my AR72 2 weeks ago and defaulted back to my A7r because of this one feature. 

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 12:47:50 am »

Confirmed.
Tried it today, works great.

"Adds support to output video via HDMI during use of the Remote Camera Control software (still mode only)"

Can anyone confirm if you can indeed run HDMI out to a monitor and be connected via USB to C1 now with this new update?   I returned my AR72 2 weeks ago and defaulted back to my A7r because of this one feature.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 06:04:32 am »

does anyone know if this update will be available for a7ii & rx1ii ?

Tony Jay

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 06:13:28 am »

does anyone know if this update will be available for a7ii & rx1ii ?
As far as I know the both the A7 II and the RX 1 II already has uncompressed raw options.

Tony Jay

Dr Tone

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 08:33:51 am »

As far as I know the both the A7 II and the RX 1 II already has uncompressed raw options.

Tony Jay

The RX1R II will come with the uncompressed raw option.  A7II does not have it currently.  A7SII and A7RII both do.

mcmorrison

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:25 pm »

Very good that the a7rII got the update!

But, now, what about the a7II? Are we slated? Or still in limbo?

Thanks!

Michael

Tony Jay

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 05:31:56 pm »

The RX1R II will come with the uncompressed raw option.  A7II does not have it currently.  A7SII and A7RII both do.
Apologies.
However, as far as I know it is still coming.

Tony Jay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up