Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which to choose as upgrade... A7R or?????  (Read 4797 times)

ramtin k

Which to choose as upgrade... A7R or?????
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:14:12 pm »

Hey guys!

So i shoot with a 6D right now.... reason i'm looking for a body is to upgrade my image quality and use my current body for backup... the resolution, dynamic range and color depth on the Sony has made me think about upgrading to a A7R... planning to keep the 6D as backup and Milky Way shooting (unless you think the A7R will outperform the 6D in noise)...

anyways I wanted to get your thoughts on what's best? what do you think? I currently have a Canon 24-105 L which I use for most of my landscape shoots and i can stitch photos if a wider angle is needed.. i'm fine with that... i also have a canon mount Samyang 24mm 1.4 which is use for milky way shots... I was thinking of getting an adapter and just keep both the 6D and the A7R but i thought i'd jump on here to ask your opinion....

reason i haven't mentioned A7R II is obviously because it's just something i can't afford yet :( lol

thanks very much!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:59:31 pm by ramtin k »

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
Re: Which to choose as upgrade... A7R or?????
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »

I'd say it depends on how extensive and how new your Canon lens bag is,  whether you need autofocus, and whether the A7R's shutter shock is going to be a big issue for you.

If you do need autofocus, remember to factor into the cost of a system switch replacing nearly all your lenses, and Sony FE glass is significantly more expensive than the Canon equivalent. Making no value judgements about how good the lenses are- just saying that replacing a normal-ish bag of 16-35 f/2.8 zoom, 70-210 f/2.8 zoom, and a few primes is going to cost you significantly more than the body and more than the Canon kit you likely already have. So bear the lens cost in mind.

The A7Rii might actually might be a cheaper option if you have new (6 years or less) Canon glass, as it should allow useable autofocus, thus letting you get away without changing all your lenses all at once. In my experience no adapted lens ever "just works" as reliably as putting a native lens on a native body, though.

My Canon lenses are too old to autofocus via Metabones on the A7Rii (and definitely won't on the A7R if I understand correctly) but I don't mind so much for landscape work; for people photography though it is clear that only native lenses will cut the mustard for my professional use anyway. So I'm going to have to invest in a Sony/Zeiss FE 85 or 90 mm and a 35 mm at minimum, and I dare say I'll end up with a 16-35 and 70-210 if I stick with the Sony for very long.

If you can pick up a cheap A7R second hand I'd go for it, but all in all I don't know how much of an improvement you'll see from the 6D anyway. It's more that it has a different set of compromises.

If you've got a sack full of L-series lenses or Canon-mount Zeiss, I'd just buy a 5DS R and be done with it, especially if low-light hand-held shooting isn't your primary activity. The Canon may look a bit dull on paper but the people I know who have one say it does provide a significant step-up from older Canons and is more comparable to the Sony's in real life use cases than the lab tests might lead you to believe.

Cheers, Hywel

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:01:18 pm by Hywel »

ramtin k

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 02:34:40 pm »

i am aware of the autofocusing problem. that's why i'm keeping my 6D for portraits and other times when i need it... but mostly i focus on landscape and manually focusing is best for me.... plus, canon 5DS doesn't even come close to the dynamic range and the quality of sony sensors in my opinion. just being able to pull and push tons of detail on RAW files is really important for me.

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:06:22 pm »

Yup, then it sounds like the A7 might be just the ticket for you. It was the shutter shock and IBIS that made me decide to pay up for an A7R ii instead

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140123_2-SonyA7R-shutterVibration-CallForAction.html

If you don't shoot in the affected shutter speed regime much it's probably not an issue.

The Sony/Zeiss FE glass is awesome, judging by the 55mm I have so far. Just pricy :-) My adapted old EF glass works pretty well for non-time critical landscape and night sky photography- just not for anything with a pulse!

Cheers, Hywel.

ramtin k

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »

see that's why i came here cause i had no idea about the shutter issue! maybe it's better for me to save for an A7R II OR! forget the megapixels and go for the newer A7 models without the extra megapixels? any suggestion? don't forget i need a full frame for landscape photography :) or completely sell my canon gear so i can afford the sony ? lol AAAHHHH decisions, decisions!!!  :-\
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:52:10 pm by ramtin k »

scooby70

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:54:16 am »

If you are worried about shutter shock I'd advise reading up on the issue, giving it thought and making an informed decision.

It's never been an issue for me with my A7 and although some report issues with Ax series cameras there are others who like me aren't affected.

I only have two native primes, the 55mm f1.8 and the 35mm f2.8 and both are outstanding. I also have the 28-70mm which I bought thinking I might use it occasionally, I haven't used it for other than test shots but it looks to be a very reasonable variable aperture zoom.

ramtin k

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 09:30:26 am »

i just want to upgrade my 6D's image quality that's the most important thing for me. i'm open to other ideas. DSLR options whatever. any suggestion will help! thanks guys

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 04:20:00 pm »

What is it about the 6D that is not satisfactory? "Image quality" is a fairly unspecific term. How are you viewing your images? How large do you print? The Canon sensors are not as advanced as some others, notably the Sony, but they are still capable of very fine images.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

AlterEgo

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 04:46:15 pm »

Hey guys!

So i shoot with a 6D right now.... reason i'm looking for a body is to upgrade my image quality and use my current body for backup... the resolution, dynamic range and color depth on the Sony has made me think about upgrading to a A7R... planning to keep the 6D as backup and Milky Way shooting (unless you think the A7R will outperform the 6D in noise)...

anyways I wanted to get your thoughts on what's best? what do you think? I currently have a Canon 24-105 L which I use for most of my landscape shoots and i can stitch photos if a wider angle is needed.. i'm fine with that... i also have a canon mount Samyang 24mm 1.4 which is use for milky way shots... I was thinking of getting an adapter and just keep both the 6D and the A7R but i thought i'd jump on here to ask your opinion....

reason i haven't mentioned A7R II is obviously because it's just something i can't afford yet :( lol

thanks very much!

are you sure that it is not a case of GAS ?

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 06:42:19 am »

Will the AF performance of the Sony mirrorless cameras meet your needs? As I understand them, they are good, but not as good as other mirrorless systems and no match for dSLRs.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

labirdman

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 06:48:31 pm »

Will the AF performance of the Sony mirrorless cameras meet your needs? As I understand them, they are good, but not as good as other mirrorless systems and no match for dSLRs.

I think that depends on what you're doing. Eye AF in continuous focus mode on the A7RII feels close to magic--grabs an eye, continues to track it and keep it in focus as long as its visible, across a majority of the frame. Low light focus with a fast FE lens (28mm f2, in my case) also seems excellent.

For fast action/sports type shooting, a good DSLR is going to perform better, no question.
Pages: [1]   Go Up