Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critiquing Prints and Testing Papers  (Read 1274 times)

ThirstyDursty

Critiquing Prints and Testing Papers
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:08:23 am »

New to printing. Through the first hurdle of producing the products and exhibition that prompted the purchase.

Now starting to think about becoming better a printing.

I've also got a small stack of sample packs.

I'm a little daunted by the task of printing and evaluating.

1) I'm not sure what I'm really looking for (technically) except gut feel, personal preference, reproducing the edited image as I imagined it. I can imagine liking lots. But like my recent experience with Canson Baryta, which I love the look of, but found to have a brittle surface.

I get 5 more custom profiles with my purchase...I want to make them count after the sample packs as papers I both love and know what types of images work well with.

That brings me to my second question. Are there good Test prints that combine multiple images like high contrast, low contrast, high key low key, B&W color etc. I get two sheets of each paper, so could do a B&W and a Colour 

If I was making one myself what different characteristics should I be looking for in images to select?

And yes I know this will be a bit of trial and error. But trying to improve with direction. 

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: Critiquing Prints and Testing Papers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 05:19:09 pm »

Glad your exhibition work is down the road, TD.

Howard has provided you with links to probably the two best well-known test images (one color, one black and white) in inkjet land.  They'll get you a far piece towards seeing if your equipment and workflow are up to snuff.  Beyond that...

I find, personally, that different images respond to different media.  Sometimes I want a cooler, whiter look from the paper, to emphasize contrast and/or the shadows in a print.  Sometimes I want a warmer paper, to bring out tonality and richness; or because the subject matter responds better to a little warmth.  Sometimes I want a photo-black baryta/luster paper, because I want the deepest dmax and the richest blacks.   And sometimes I want a matte paper because I'm looking for a more subtle rendition from an image; or because I want the tactile luxuriousness that it brings.

What I'm trying to say is that the search for papers is likely to be open ended.  I'd recommend finding a paper or two to start with, but be open-minded about adding others as circumstances and images and your mood might suggest.  Trying a new paper is one of my favorite things.

More generally, I'd highly recommend a monitor capable of accurate color mapping at the (low) brightness and contrast levels appropriate for paper output.  The only two I know of are the Eizo and NEC Spectraview.  And a viewing station with dimming capability placed right next to that monitor.

Yeah, I know.  I was one of those who figured, for years, that they could get away with just having a nice, calibrated monitor.  I wish I had back half of the paper and ink and hours I spent staring at my "nice, calibrated monitor" trying to get the colors and tones I saw there to come out of the printer.

Good luck!

ThirstyDursty

Re: Critiquing Prints and Testing Papers
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »

Thanks guys.

I fully appreciate that this is both open ended and personal (taste) in nature.

Yes NEC monitor is on the shopping list...maybe next.

I think I'm going to make a test image of my own combing 4-6 of my images. And then use a standard for the second sheet.

This will help me understand how my art will look.

At this point I'm less worried about screen matches. As long as output is consistent. I'm really happy with the results...better then a generic Lab and since I've got some iterative capability, better then the fine art printer I used previously (and cheaper).

Mostly looking to understand how a paper can add to my art...and how it can detract

But yes...workflow and print quality will be another mountain to climb.

Pages: [1]   Go Up