Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me some paper for IPF 8300  (Read 1344 times)

StephenOzcomert

Recommend me some paper for IPF 8300
« on: September 13, 2015, 02:36:38 pm »

I have resurrected from the dead, or at least ailing and neglected IPF 8300.  Replaced a printhead and now not getting the awful print head checks and "hardware failure" turn off and on routine.  Much better now!  Anyway, I have some paper--Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta and Canson Baryta Photographique and also BC Lyve Canvas.  I have done more on the BC Lyve Canvas (which I like) and Canson PR Baryta than anything else, but am thinking I need some more choices.  I shoot a lot of landscapes and mostly that is what I want to print.  I have done a lot of printing on the BC Lyve, which works well, but as my cameras get a few more Megapixels (now using Sony A7r2), I think I have more ability to print somewhat larger on paper than previously.  Obviously, canvas looks better at lower ppi.  Anway, I would appreciate some suggestions of favorite papers especially that work well for landscapes.  Also, just for curiosity, anyone use any of the "metal" papers on a Canon IPF printer?  Any user experiences/opinions appreciated.

Thanks much!

howardm

Re: Recommend me some paper for IPF 8300
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:36:20 pm »

Well, can't really argue w/ any of those papers as they are all top notch even if the Hahn is basically the exact same paper.
Do you want to stay w/ satin/gloss or not?

The usual suggestion is to get a sampler pack or two and start printing and see what you like.  So many choices these days.

I like Epson Hot Press or Velvet Fine Art (or Moab Somerset Museum) (for textured) and there are hundreds (it seems) smooth
matte papers if matte is the direction you decide to go in.  I'm sure other people will suggest others but the sample packs get you
a full selection of choices for cheap.

StephenOzcomert

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:50:25 pm »

Appreciate the suggestion.  The only thing I don't like about the sample packs is that they are usually 8.5x11 and I find that size difficult to deal with as it is both harder to load on a large format printer and does not give much area to work with.  As for paper types, I am open to suggestions, but suppose I should try a satin finish or "pearl" finish paper, possibly a metal paper (tho I have read they may not be much different from gloss) and a matte paper as well.  I had not considered Epson as I usually try the canned profile first and see how that works as I currently don't profile my own.  I did not figure Epson had canned profiles for Canon, but perhaps I am assuming wrong?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:53:28 pm by StephenOzcomert »

Scott Hein

• Hein Natural History Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:12:55 pm »

I just went through this process with a new iPF6400 printer and it is definitely a very personal choice.  I ended up deciding on Canson Rag Photographique for a fine art/matte paper.  I personally like the smooth non-textured surface.  It is also a fairly "white" paper even though it has no OBAs.  I also evaluated several baryta/luster/satin papers and settled on Museo Silver Rag, which wasn't even on my radar when I started.  Even though paper in sample packs is only letter size, it is still a useful exercise to see if you can live with the surface texture, gloss differential, etc.

Good luck!
-Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up