Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choose X-T1 or E-M1?  (Read 31610 times)

Rand47

Re: Choose X-T1 or E-M1?
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2015, 08:56:08 pm »

Which one is nicer to focus manually? Can the AF be overridden easily just by moving the focus ring on both of them?

Can't speak to the OLy, but the Fuji X-T1 with latest firmware allows you to put it into AF+MF mode so that after AF locks you can fine tune with focus ring.  In addition, many of the prime Fuji lenses have the focus ring work like a clutch.  Pull back on the focus ring, it clicks into place for full manual focus.  Very nice.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2015, 09:00:42 pm »

Which one is nicer to focus manually? Can the AF be overridden easily just by moving the focus ring on both of them?

Interesting, there must be some changes inside the bodies, as my XT-1 was transformed with the 4.0 firmware and AF.  Low light is now around 98% hit, and in focus, and low contrast subjects also hit most of the time.  I have not worked with moving subjects, so that may be the difference.  But for static, the difference really was impressive.  Even on small birds, with the 55-200, the difference was impressive.   

But to me, where Fuji has done the most work is the glass, they really have some excellent lenses.  If Fuji does come out with a 24MP camera, I will be in big trouble.  Sadly it seems the X-pro will be first and that is not a favorite of mine, so hopefully it will flow to he XT-1 platform. 

The AF on the XT-1 can be over-ridden with a front dial, and on some of the lenses you have a MF-AF clutch.  Lenses that come to mind, the 14mm F2.8, 55-200, and I believe the 60mm Macro also.   

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2015, 11:42:59 am »

Of note the EM1 + EM5 II are getting a firmware update in November.

http://www.43rumors.com/e-m1-and-e-m5ii-firmware-updates-coming-end-november-e-m1-gets-silent-shutter-fokus-bracketing-2425fps-electornic-stabilization/

Also why would the choice be between the EM1 + XT1, when the EM5 II [in my view] is the better Olympus camera at the moment. Not to mention that an EM1 II is not far away.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

AlterEgo

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »

http://www.43rumors.com/e-m1-and-e-m5ii-firmware-updates-coming-end-november-e-m1-gets-silent-shutter-fokus-bracketing-2425fps-electornic-stabilization/

Also why would the choice be between the EM1 + XT1, when the EM5 II [in my view] is the better Olympus camera at the moment. Not to mention that an EM1 II is not far away.

some people like the handling (specifically the crowd considering Fuji bodies at all)... EM1 handles better than any EM5*

armand

• Photos
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2015, 04:19:41 pm »

With that firmware release in November it's unlikely the E-M1 II is that close. There are some rumors for 1 year from now.

Robert Falconer

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2015, 11:34:53 pm »

I'm not forgetting anything, you are missing the point. This was expressly in relation to shutter speed. If I am shooting bright sun and trying to elongate my shutter speed as much as possible, f16 is two stops better than f8.

Or you could simply use a neutral density filter(s) to cut the light transmission and help you elongate that shutter speed further … despite your assertion that filter stacking "can only get you so far".

Again, no functional disadvantage for m43 in this regard.
Official Fujifilm brand ambassador (X-Photographer) | Contributing Editor, Nikon Owner Magazine

jjj

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2015, 05:59:40 pm »

I just came across a FB post regarding a failed camera strap eyelet on the EM1. Not a unique occurrence by the replies.
Can't directly link to post, so look for it on this page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/336135023136969/?fref=ts

jjj

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2015, 06:02:28 pm »

some people like the handling (specifically the crowd considering Fuji bodies at all)... EM1 handles better than any EM5*
In your opinion.  :P
Besides how could you know about what those choosing between the Fuji and the Olympus may like? Have you asked them all?

jjj

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2015, 06:05:49 pm »

With that firmware release in November it's unlikely the E-M1 II is that close. There are some rumors for 1 year from now.
My dealer mentioning something to about a new EM1 camera being forthcoming, but he was under NDA re details. Don't think it was the new EM10 II as it was only a few of weeks back and the EM10 II was well known by then.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2015, 10:01:29 pm »

My dealer mentioning something to about a new EM1 camera being forthcoming, but he was under NDA re details. Don't think it was the new EM10 II as it was only a few of weeks back and the EM10 II was well known by then.

I hope, that will give me another choice for a smaller weather sealed camera system for hiking/traveling light. Has to lose that low iso noise though.
Funny (or not) that my local camera store doesn't stock any Olympus (only Panasonic on the m43 side) as they are concerned Olympus will go belly up.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2015, 10:08:16 pm »

The AF on the XT-1 can be over-ridden with a front dial, and on some of the lenses you have a MF-AF clutch.  Lenses that come to mind, the 14mm F2.8, 55-200, and I believe the 60mm Macro also.   
Paul

The only one that I've seen on the higher end that doesn't have the MF-AF switch is the 27 2.8, and the 14 and 23 don't have the clutch but pull-push the focus ring to bring them in manual focus.
It's also worth mentioning that from firmware 3 I think you have MF override on AF.

kkerrick

• My Flickr Page
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2015, 08:49:05 am »

I'm interested in the same topic and have some thoughts on the subject. I have a canon 5dii, fuji x100s, and a panasonic G7. By far, the G7 is the most fun too use and I think the same can be said about most higher end m43 cameras; there just so damn compact and operationally fast. Add in the IBIS, and the Olympus offerings are enticing.

I will say fuji x-trans files are better looking in general than m43 files, but the m43 files are not far behind. Think about how you want to use the system as a whole. Olympus has some very useful lenses in their pro series zooms and that kit will be hell of a lot smaller than any other system for what you get. Also is weather sealing important to you? Most the weather sealed zooms for Fujifilm are massive by comparison to the Olympus or Panasonic lens equivalents, which is an important point for outdoor landscape photographers.

Ask yourself how you want to approach photography and choose a system that best supports that. If massive gallery prints are your desire, neither of these camera may be a good choice.

Kevin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up