Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Choose X-T1 or E-M1?  (Read 31595 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Choose X-T1 or E-M1?
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:12:38 am »

No, I'm not looking to start a fanboy flame war. And no, I'm not trolling either group. But I am trying to decide which of these two excellent camera systems fits me best. So I'd like to learn other's perspectives that I may have overlooked in my thinking.

I have them both, for at least a little while longer, and I'm getting a good side-by-side comparison for my own uses. And it's clear to me that they are both far more than good enough to replace any dSLR I might choose. They are both excellent cameras with well developed (and developing) surrounding systems - I just don't want/need to own both. Not that price is immaterial, but I don't intend to make the choice on that.

In my case, I see these compelling features for each system:

Olympus OM-D E-M1
5-axis, in-body, image stabilization
Phase detect auto focus pixels cover more of the frame
The PRO lens series is weather resistant
Lenses are generally smaller and lighter with equivalent maximum aperture
Has a true 1:1 macro lens with a 120mm equivalent field of view
Deeper body grip and more robust door construction

Fiji X-T1
APS-C size sensor
Good high-ISO noise characteristics
Every lens is of exceptional build and optical quality, some are simply world-class
Prime lenses have generally larger maximum apertures
Very well respected by many publicly active Pro photographers

What have I missed, or mis-understood?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:47:49 pm by Bob Rockefeller »
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Choose X-T1 or E-M1?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:55 am »

A big question is "which one feels more natural to your way of working?"

For me, between those two the X-T1 is lightyears ahead of the E-M1 for the way I work, approach photography and interface with my camera.  That's partly due to the fact that I grew up on photography in the manual film SLR days and the X-T1 works pretty much like those cameras did where the Oly has a less intuitive and laid out menu driven approach to photography, in comparison. 

The downside for my on the X-T1 is the X-trans color array which I don't like as much as a traditional Bayer approach.

But again, it's a very personal decision.  Both are more than capable.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:55:51 am »

Bob:

Your list is a great start for sure. 

I have been tempted to look at the Olympus, mainly for the screen/video work.  But have the X-T1 and still use it often.

Your point on the lenses for the Fuji is good one, as all their glass just works and works well.  With the latest Firmware, 4.0, my AF is excellent now with all my glass and I really give Fuji Credit for this.  Low AF is excellent now, I just don't get many misses anymore.

After looking at the A7rII, I realized I wasn't giving Fuji enough credit on their EVF, which is also very well designed. 

My only real issues with the Fuji:

LR can't get the finer details out of the files, at least to my eyes.  Rocks, lichen, etc can take on a plastic look.  The only software I have used that can get the details is Irident but it has really no tools and you can't output it as a dng, and re-import to LR, (would love that just for the raw conversion, then finish the work in LR.  LR has definitely gotten things better as the haloing around finer details seems to have corrected (tree leaves blue sky).  And Adobe seems to have made it a point to work closer with Fuji so I am still hoping for improvements.

The 16MP size of the sensor, I would prefer 20MP to 24MP just for my work and prints.  I stitch a lot with the Fuji but there are times I can't and the file size is just a bit small for a 30 x 40 print at 300 dpi.  I had hoped to see Fuji grow the MP on the sensor, but that seems not to be happening.

You can't get 100iso in raw, never have understood that, but since the days of the Fuji S2 200 iso has always been the raw limit.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:12:53 am »

Hard choice for sure.... I have both systems and use both and the list above is a good start.  I love the Fuji and used it yesterday at an art fair where we had fun taking photos and my wife used the Olympus.  Let me say this and we will have a small report doing up soon about this, the Olympus is one fine system,  Small, light weight and the Pro series of lenses are some of the best I have ever used. And, the IBIS is incredible.  My story on the Olympus will cover my use of it at a recent state fair.  Amazing images using 8mm - through 40-150mm lenses.  Also have a story coming on shooting flowers with the extension tubes.  My answer is if you are not going to print larger than 17x22 and want a light weight very capable system then the Olympus (any of the bodies) and the Pro series lenses are a great choice.  The total system weight is real light and is a breeze to travel with and according to Chris the video quality is excellent.

As far as Fuji goes I have reported on this system here on the site and really enjoy it.  I have a ton of lenses for it and they are really good.  I would not be surprised to see a 24mp Fuji X-trans this year.  There have been lots of rumors.  The X-trans as different as it is does an amazing job rendering images.  If you find LR doesn't work well, try Capture One.  I think C1 really does a great job with the files.  There are a few C1 engineers that shoot with the Fuji so I know they are super committed to this line.  The easy of use, natural menu system are just some of the nice features.   I have taken Fuji files to 30x40 inches and they are very good.

So, no better answers for you.  The question for you is what do you want?  What is the largest size you want to print?  I can't pry the Oly from my wife.  I have asked her to write an article about her experiences using it.  Her images are incredible.  And, as you will see in my upcoming article the high ISO is really good too. 

I guess reading this over I just made it more difficult to make a choice.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:26:16 am »

I don't know the Fuji, but three more things about the e-m1 that you might consider:

1) M4/3 lens mount means greater lens availability. I use both Oly and Lumix lenses on my e-m1.
2) Wifi. With my smartphone, I can control the camera remotely while seeing the viewfinder image on my phone. Great for macros, birds, portraits.
3) Available battery grip doubles battery life and makes camera easier to handle with long lenses.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:44 am »

24MP X-trans would be the ticket for me.  Wow.  That would be something.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 11:38:11 am »

I don't know the Fuji, but three more things about the e-m1 that you might consider:

1) M4/3 lens mount means greater lens availability. I use both Oly and Lumix lenses on my e-m1.
2) Wifi. With my smartphone, I can control the camera remotely while seeing the viewfinder image on my phone. Great for macros, birds, portraits.
3) Available battery grip doubles battery life and makes camera easier to handle with long lenses.

The Fuji has WiFi and a battery; both very similar to the Olympus.

There are somewhat more lenses for m4/3, but I'm not sure that the range is any greater - there's a fair amount of overlap in the Panasonic and Olympus lines. That said, there are differences, such as the Panasonic 40-100 in place of the Olympus 40-150.
Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 11:41:57 am »

I guess reading this over I just made it more difficult to make a choice.
Kevin Raber

:)

I didn't so much touch on the negatives, wanting to concentrate on the good stuff. But if Fuji has a negative, to me, is the choice of in-lens image stabilization. I like being able to shoot the Olympus 17mm f1.8 in very low light and have the in-body stabilization to help with that. Fuji has ISO as its only tool there (other than flash, of course).
Bob Rockefeller

BradSmith

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 02:13:23 pm »

My take on these two systems.....The capabilities are 99% equivalent and the images will be indistinguishable.    Therefore, it comes down to FEEL and ease of use for YOU .....and COST.

Feel......Try to find a store that has both and hold them.  If your location prevents this, simultaneously rent each with comparable mid range zoom lenses.    Adjust the controls.  Do they feel naturally located for YOU.  How does portrait orientation feel?  How do you like the EVF's of each.  In other words, how do they FEEL and WORK for YOU.  This is the key differentiator. 

Cost......Secondly, price out each system with the lenses you know you'd get. In my world, this is the second key differentiator.

I did exactly this when I chose my system 6 months ago.
Brad

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 02:35:28 pm »

I did exactly this when I chose my system 6 months ago.
Brad

What did you pick? How has it worked out for you?
Bob Rockefeller

Tony Ventouris Photography

• http://TonyVentourisPhotography.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 04:45:37 pm »

I loved the x-t1 feel and x-pro1...but cant live with xtrans yet.  I have an original x100 with me everyday.  That being said... The E-m1 has taken over as my primary camera when i dont need medium format tech cams for my work.  For the shooting i do just nothing can compare for me.  Heres a few reasons:

1:  close focus distance.  Unreal.  The lenses focus so close compared to other lenses!  I love getting close.  The 12-40 and 40-150 especially close fo us.  With a tc... I have a 420mm equivalent focusing at like 2 or maybe 3 feet.  I have been making shots i never could before.  (Also considering the size and weight and what positions i get that combo into when shooting amphibians in the wild...)

2.  IBIS is exceptionally good.  It really works. 

3.  Focus is remarkably fast and accurate especially in some crazy low light conditions.  I can make all the fujis hunt.  Ive always missed shots due to the fujis hunting.  All of them.  The e-m1 always nails it.

4.  Full customization and custom settings that can be programmed into the control dial.  Having manual + 4 custom settings in the dial is amazing for speed an effeciency in the field. 

5.  Live composite is amazing for startrails, fireflies, and other long multi-exposure items.  I love using this.

So for me the camera allows me to make the shots i want much easier than other cameras.  I give up nothing to even my canon ff systems.

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 05:42:23 pm »

I've used Canon DSLRs for over a decade.  Late last year I bought a Fuji X-T1.  I love it.  It feels so natural to me.  It may seem weird but in many ways it reminds me of my old Canon F1 film camera only a heck of a lot lighter and with a much brighter view finder.

X-Trans threw me for a bit of a loop when I first got the camera.  Sharpening in Lightroom was radically different from all the Bayer sensors I've used and I just wasn't getting the results I'd hoped in RAW.  Then I found this article and I've been delighted with the image quality ever since.

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

All this said, I've used my friend's E-M1 and it is a great camera as well.  You've got a choice between two wonderful cameras. 

Regards,
Ron

BradSmith

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 07:12:25 pm »

What did you pick? How has it worked out for you?

The point of my reply was that you've chosen two excellent systems and understand the strengths of each.  Now it is personal based on what FEELS best to you, recognizing the cost of each system.  My point was, I believe it shouldn't matter to you which I decided was best for me. 
Brad

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 09:01:18 pm »

Forgot to mention one more major point...for me...

Bracketing.  I can bracket in every possible way on the E-M1.  It has some seriously amazing bracketing options.  And I have customized my lens button function to enable the exact bracketing mode I prefer.  Instant access when I need it.  No digging through menus, or having to set up how many shots in how many stops.  And it also fires them off at its fastest frame rate available.  And I can trigger them from my phone if I don't want to touch the camera at all, even with a release.  Thank you olympus!  Someone gets it!  (i do 360-panorams and this is the best feature ever when shooting nadir shots with the camera hanging from a boom arm!)  

Fuji on the other hand doesn't realize that people bracket shots.  Actually, maybe they are still on the days of film...because you can't bracket more than one stop above and below.  Thats it.  And its a pain to turn on and off.  

And having to bracket manually with the shutter speed dial for anything more means I have to touch the camera, which means I may throw off my registration between shots even if I'm on a tripod.  This is the other big feature that kept Fuji out of my heavy duty use camera list.  Fuji feel great...but if can't serve my purpose and make the shots I need it to in the most efficient way...Its just not worth it.  Im a sucker for big  sensors, but nothing has yet pulled off the shots I make like the E-m1.  

AlterEgo

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 10:17:27 pm »

Fiji X-T1
...Good high-ISO noise characteristics...What have missed, or mis-understood?...

Fuji for a nominal ISO after 1600-2000 simply writes an instruction in a raw file for a raw converter to add a hidden expocorrection (or may be even does not do this - it is up for a raw converter to know)... so you mean good low ISO noise characteristics, right ?

AlterEgo

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 10:19:22 pm »

The Fuji has WiFi and a battery; both very similar to the Olympus.
 Panasonic 40-100 in place of the Olympus 40-150.

Panasonic 35-100

AlterEgo

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 10:22:06 pm »

The 16MP size of the sensor
Fuji is bound to switch to 24mp APS-C sensors eventually, and m43 already have 20mp sensor available (as in GX8)... that is if you plan what will be in the next 1-2-3 years in either system

armand

• Photos
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 10:23:01 pm »

Long time ago, the X-E1 and the E-M5 were just launched and I had to choose between those two.
At that time the E-M5 felt a little too tiny and I didn't like that you practically had to add the grip for proper handling instead of having it built in. The E-M1 fixed this.
The other factor was the quality of the kit zoom, and despite the Olympus being WR the Fuji was running circles around it.

That being said, with all I know know the choice would be much harder.
I love Fuji colors but I don't like X-Trans; I can live with it but it is a nuisance.
Fuji's focus is acceptable but it has flaws. The lenses are however great and that's what's keeping me the most with the system.
From what I've seen the m43 have some noise at base iso which I dislike profoundly.

I also have a full frame Nikon now that gets a fair share of my time and because of this I would probably choose the Olympus now, as the APS-C is too close to full frame.
If I didn't have the full frame the choice would be again harder. Is anything in particular that you need and one system doesn't provide?
For people shots and some landscapes (depending on the converter) the Fuji seems to have the uppper hand. For handhold shots of fixed objects they seem even.
Fuji is however great for b&w even with(or because of) x-trans.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 10:43:13 pm »

PS. the reason I added Fuji was because Nikon decided that quality APS-C dedicated lenses are not needed (except the tank of 17-55 and the 35 1.8 DX)

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 08:37:18 am »

As noted by someone here....the m43 show a bit of noise even at base ISO.  This drives me nuts too.  It's more of a fine grain...but it doesn't mess up any details, nor does it alter color or introduce artifacts.  And this is only visible in certain items.  I find I sharpen the Olympus a lot less and this looks better in that regards.  Doesn't make the grain as obvious. 

However when it came down to swirly artifacts and other strange xtrans  issues versus a slight grain...the grain won every time.   Even printed at 30 inches without upres, ide rather see grain than swirls...as much as I love Fuji. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up