Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Oregon coast  (Read 17613 times)

marcgoldring

Central Oregon coast
« on: September 12, 2015, 04:12:47 pm »

We'll be visiting an old friend south of Eugene in early November. I'm unsure whether I'd rather mess about along the coast or toward Willamette National Forest. We spend a lot of time at home visiting Cape Cod so the coast as a strong attraction...but so do woods.

Any thoughts about interesting places along those lines??

Thanks,

Marco
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

BradSmith

Re: Central Oregon coast
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »

I'd vote for the coast.  Several years ago I attended a 5 day workshop centered in Coos Bay.  Spent lots of time in: the Oregon Dunes Nat'l Recreation Area stretching from west of Eugene down to Coos Bay; Shore Acres State Park just south of Coos Bay, and the wide beaches with sea stacks in and south of Bandon.   Many, many keepers from those few days.
Brad

Jglaser757

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:42:19 pm »

I'm not sure how close you will to cape perpetua, but I recommend it. Look up thor's well. It's dangerous but a great shot.

aderickson

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:06:25 pm »

Forty years ago I was a forest ranger at Cape Perpetua. You have both the forest and the spectacular Oregon Coast in one location.

Allan

Art Kelly

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 08:33:41 am »

fletcherp

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 06:46:23 pm »

A few of my favorites are the Bridge over the River in Newport (along with some funky places in the town), Cape Arago, and Coquille Point in Bandon which has a number of sea stacks.

marcgoldring

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:09:26 am »

Yikes, I was so busy that I forgot I'd posted this question. Apologies for the very late thank you for all your good ideas. Plans haven't completely gelled so it's not too late!

All best,

Marco
Marc Goldring

Arlen

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:20:32 pm »

The other folks have given you good suggestions if you head over to the coast; I can affirm all of them. In regards to heading the other direction, into the Cascades, a good choice from Eugene would be the "Wild and Scenic"-designated upper McKenzie River, above McKenzie Bridge. A good plan would be to access it from various points along the McKenzie River Trail, which runs close to the river for about 26 miles. Its closest point to Eugene can be reached in about an hour, near the Willamette Forest ranger station.

For instance, check out Sahalie Falls, right off Hwy 126. The falls are spectacular. And from there you can walk a very scenic loop:  follow the path upstream for about 1/4 mile to a footbridge, cross it and then walk downstream on the McKenzie River Trail for about 1 mile, to a bridge spanning the river above Carmen Reservoir. Cross that bridge, and walk up the path on the east side of the river back to Sahalie Falls. I'm confident you won't be disappointed--stunning views of the clear, blue rushing water, seen through old growth rain forest.

sjprg

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 03:28:54 pm »

Also Silver Falls State Park. About 20 miles east of I-5 between Albany and Salem. 10 major falls along a 7 mile loop path that takes you under several of the major falls. The loop is hikeable if you are in reasonable shape. the hardest part for me was the steps coming up out of the canyon. (about a quarter mile of steps with short trails between them). I'm 81 and made the hike. took about 800 images with my A7R.
Paul

marcgoldring

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »

Thanks, everyone, for great ideas!

Marc
Marc Goldring

Jens Peermann

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 10:17:41 pm »

I'd vote for the coast.  Several years ago I attended a 5 day workshop centered in Coos Bay.  Spent lots of time in: the Oregon Dunes Nat'l Recreation Area stretching from west of Eugene down to Coos Bay; Shore Acres State Park just south of Coos Bay, and the wide beaches with sea stacks in and south of Bandon.   Many, many keepers from those few days.
Brad

Sunset Beach, on the way to Shore Acres State Park, has arguably the best tide pools along the Oregon Coast; if you're into that subject.

muralin

• Murali's Website
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 11:25:03 pm »

If u r into waterfalls, checkout the Silver Falls State Park!!!
Murali
https://www.muralipix.com (Photography trips blog with pictures & location info)
Pages: [1]   Go Up